Gadgettown UltraFire 50mW laser

Heres a quick vid of mine, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPrWbCwWNVI This is almost as I see it, also kd-c8 xml . Waiting for parts tomorrow for my "white laser"

That’s great! Looks like Trooplewis found his thrower :bigsmile:
400mW my rear, that looks like1.21 Gigawatts to me!

Umm, don't you wish to avoid pointing that 0,4W of a laser at your dark lcd or plasma screen? I would be pissed off if something "sticks" to it...

Or cuts it in half

So what safety glasses do you guys use?

Other than the video I shot I mostly use mine outside where I wont hit anything that would reflect back to my eyes. I would use glasses if I had a high powered laser and was using it indoors and to burn things. Doing that stuff you are looking closely at the spot of the beam or you could get reflection. Outside pointing at distant objects or the sky with a moderately powered laser is pretty safe stuff. Like anything else, just use your head. Its not inherently dangerous but you can do dangerous things. Just dont do them.

I have been using http://www.survivallaser.com/Eagle_Pair__Standard_Laser_Safety_Goggles/p556088_2780808.aspx which is at least OD 4 for 532

There are many who feel some kind of regulation is necessary on these. Of course I'm a less-rules-the-better kinda guy but from thier perspective, anybody with $200 (and even more powerful for more $$) can own something quite dangerous. Even the little guy Lang and I ordered could land you in the pokey if you did something dumb at the airport with it.

donotletkidsplaywithitFoy

In addition to the risk for serious eye injuries (it's not possible to avoid damage by the natural eye closing reflex if the output power is above 5mW).

lots of things can give you serious injuries if not respected. I could find thirty things in my garage that could maim me if I did not use proper precaution and common sense. You are right about the blink reflex . That is what I read also.

Foy here is a better vid of your new laser http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJM1bR9oqsc

That is incredible. Can you see the beam like that in real life? Thanks for the video. I am so damn excited to get this. They confirmed my order Friday, 1-2 business day to ship so, in a perfect world (one can hope) it shipped today.

photontorpedoesfullspreadFoy

With that video I had just finished cooking a hamburger and there must have been some smoke in the house, not enough that I could notice it. I just happened to be playing with the laser at that time. The beam is very visible normally but that was really bright. My son and I just got done popping balloons with it. I will put a vid in here later.

Ohh Foy, if you have never played with a green laser, you are in for a real (and addicting) treat. Especially at night!! And expect everyone that you show it too to want one as well!! I love turning off street lights with mine heeheehee. I mean no, I never do that.

Initially I thought that the laser was just a toy with no utilitarian value, a mindless diversion. That was before I found this filthy balloon on my sons bed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fla0a7rjXE You never know what you are going to run into. Be prepared.

So what's with some of the lasers being "non U.S." models? After reading this thread, I checked some out on DX and saw that some of them weren't U.S. friendly. Terrorist stuff? Now you guys have me curious about green lasers.

Theres a law that you are not allowed to import any lasers over 5mw unless it has certain safety features and some paperwork with fda I believe

A good read on laser safety...

Protective eyewear:

The use of eye protection when operating lasers of classes 3B and 4 in a manner that may result in eye exposure in excess of the MPE is strongly recommended, and is required in the workplace by the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration.

Protective eyewear in the form of spectacles or goggles with appropriately filtering optics can protect the eyes from the reflected or scattered laser light with a hazardous beam power, as well as from direct exposure to a laser beam. Eyewear must be selected for the specific type of laser, to block or attenuate in the appropriate wavelength range. For example, eyewear absorbing 532 nm typically has an orange appearance, transmitting wavelengths larger than 550 nm. Such eyewear would be useless as protection against a laser emitting at 800 nm. Furthermore, some lasers emit more than one wavelength of light, and this may be a particular problem with some less expensive frequency-doubled lasers, such as 532 nm "green laser pointers" which are commonly pumped by 808 nm infrared laser diodes, and also generate an intermediate 1064 nm laser beam which is used to produce the final 532 nm output. If the IR radiation is allowed into the beam, which happens in some lower-quality green laser pointers, it will in general not be blocked by regular red or orange colored protective eyewear designed for pure green or already IR-filtered beam. Special YAG laser and dual-frequency eyewear is available for work with frequency-doubled YAG and other IR lasers which have a visible beam, but it is more expensive, and IR-pumped green laser products do not always specify whether such extra protection is needed.[14][15]

"Laser pointers are defined as Class II or Class IIIa devices, with output beam power less than 5 milliwatts (<5 mW). According to U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations, more powerful lasers may not be sold or promoted as laser pointers. Also, any lLaser pointers are defined as Class II or Class IIIa devices, with output beam power less than 5 milliwatts (<5 mW). According to U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations, more powerful lasers may not be sold or promoted as laser pointers. Also, any laser with class higher than IIIa (more than 5 milliwatts) requires a key-switch interlock and other safety features.aser with class higher than IIIa (more than 5 milliwatts) requires a key-switch interlock and other safety features." And green lasers that are DPSS will leak IR light . Also if your green laser stops working and you see a little red light , do not look into it as that is IR light.

Just wanted to point out that althrough lasers are fun it is best to avoid eye damage form it to keep appreciating flashlights in the future. :)

And i would go to a specialized optic locally to get a decent pair of protection glasses suitable for that 200mW cheap ass laser that spill out some random amount of other nm wavelength beam.

Personally i did not bother to order a higher powered one just because i fear the consequences of mishandling or an idiot who would eventually find it at my home and decided on his own it was a toy to annoy people. If my cat would be blinded by a impossible set of misfortunate coincidences i would still do some taekwondo practice to the one who did it althrough i never ever kicked someone outside of the gym. You can never hide to well some stuff apparently. Lasers should not be taken lightly. I use a sub 1mW to play with my cat occasionally and even with that one i make sure i do not do any eye contact with. If feel for the felines who got to play with 50mW lasers by dumb owners...

You or a family member could also be blinded by it, not just your cat.

BTW, do you know of any good low-powered red lasers from budget dealers, preferably without button cells? The problem is that most of them are not correctly labeled and are usually 8-20 mW.