GB Fixed Star 3 Led Pics

Driver current is not low, 3.8 amps at the tail cap with the tiny tail cap wire. The leds are in parallel, so i would say that is way to much current for no sinks. If the leds were in series then it would probably be ok and the output would be alot less.

It measures 2800 lumens in my crappy light box that i assume is close. My convoy s8 with 10 7135 chips measure 930 lumens and my direct drive ultrafire f13 with sanyo laptop pulls measures 1100 lumens. So i think those numbers are close.

The lumens drop from 2800 to 2100 in 30 seconds.

3.8 amps to 3 LEDs in parallel is 1.25A per. 3.8A to 3 in series would be 3x higher and definitely not 'ok'. But at 1.25A each those LEDs will last forever in that setup.

Your analogy doesnt apply because the light is stock.

If you bought a new car half price that the maker had left a rod nut off because they said you didnt need it you were going to be driving slow anyway and 500 miles later it slung a rod cap through the oil pan would you keep it or demand it be fixed?

i would rather spend a little more for something better.

Thats not correct.

The car with no turbo installed doesn't kick the rods out, just like your light operates as intended in stock form. Perfect analogy. If the LEDs were burning out then you would be right but by your own words the light works, you are just disappointed your new car didn't come with extra beefy conrods. Now suck it up and get to modding.

Sorry but you're going to have to explain that one.

Havent even run the light a minute at a time. At 5 minutes they would be burnt im sure.

So let's see it happen. If any of the LEDs pop, I'll buy the light from you for what you paid plus postage. Deal?

Also, I'm still waiting for your explanation of how parallel vs. series LEDs work.

Explain how im getting 2800 lumens out of 1.25 amps times 3?

You sure you didnt build these lights? you sure are being protective of this light and its workability……lol :smiley:

I can only go by the data you provide. You said 3.8A input, and with both the cells and LEDs in parallel that's 1.25A per LED.

Offer still stands, run it on high until one or more of the LEDs dies. If the LEDs don't die you don't have a defective product there. If you don't like it say you don't like it, but don't play the ripped-off victim. It's a cheap light and it does what it's supposed to do, you put batteries in and light comes out the shiny end. Or were you promised more than that? If you expected more, then that's your problem and nothing to do with the seller.

when you put diodes in parallel it will pull more current.

And i never said i was ripped off, but what is it to you? If i buy a product and im not satisfied with it then yes i want my money back. And if a seller cant do that then i will not buy from them again. As a seller myself i have lost money before from customers, but thats the price you pay to be in business.

Now at least others will know what they are getting or they can choose not to buy.

Obviously you advertise for these companies and there products!

And when you order something and you wait a week or longer to ship like GB and FT does its not good business.

but…but…but NITROUS :smiley:

Your setup is WAY off, that's how. You're not getting 2800 lumens out of that light.

P.S. You got what you bargained for. As long as the light functions in stock form and the seller didn't know about your need for an emitter shelf to modify the light there was no wrongdoing there.

But yeah, it stinks and I wish they all had the shelf. Nothing wrong with alerting everyone not to buy the light because of the missing shelf, but you didn't get ripped off. Nothing wrong with asking the seller for a refund either with the hopes that they will grant you one out of goodwill, but filing a PayPal claim claiming that the item is significantly not as described isn't right because it isn't true.

The driver puts out a certain current, say 6A, using one led it has the full 6A available just for itself,
use two led’s in parallel and they share the current (but use the same voltage), so 6A/2=3A each,
3 leds 6A/3=2A each and so on and so forth.
There is no magic there just simple electronics.

While this is for 20ma leds the same holds true for the power we use,

Don’t believe us, google it

Cheers David

The current increases when adding multiples in parallel because when the current is divided between them the Vf at that lower current (per LED, not the total) is lower, and applying the same voltage while reducing the Vf will let more current flow. But that's not what is at play here.

Calculate the power in watts for 3.8A (total) into three XML2s in parallel. Then do the same for 3.8A into three XML2s in series.

parallel: 1.25A each at 3.1v, times 3, 11.625 watts

series: 3.8A at 10.8v (3.6v each LED), times nothing since it's just a single series string, 41.04 watts

And it's the series string that would be better suited to a poorly-heatsinked light??

p.s. I don't work for anybody, barely even for myself, so that's another thing you're completely bass-ackwards about. :)

Your showing something on paper not reality. Those diodes have a resistor between each them and the power source. This lights circuit does not.

If i measured current at the base of the emitter it will show the same as the source not a third just because there are two other emitters.

If i were running batteries in series i would also run the leds in series, not for more current but for more efficiency.

Just notice the diode on the end is in series not parallel in your schematic.

I am almost sure im getting at least close to 2800 lumens judging by my box and the output and comparing it to other lights like my convoy s8 with a noctigon mcpcb and 3.8 at the tail measured 930 lumens on laptop pulls, do you think thats wrong too? It may be, ive been wrong before.

Actually i didnt get what i bargained for. I mean come on, every other cheap light i own has a shelf in it or some way to get heat to the outside. I would not sell or give this light as a gift in fear of it may quit working.

I didnt file a claim and wont as long as the seller is being helpful. But in Cereals case, i would of definitely filed a claim with the seller because of his attitude.

Maybe i expect to much for my money, but it is hard earned and hard to come by.

OK you want more, the yellow highlights are the pertinant bits.

from Cree’s own data sheet www.cree.com/~/media/Files/Cree/LED%20Components%20and%20Modules/XLamp/Data%20and%20Binning/XLampMLC.pdf
or are you going to tell me you know more than them.

Cheers David