GB Oficially closed/// Maxtoch 2X Shooter (new version)

The picture scs posted is correct , there is a little flange , screwed to the back of the head and that is where the tube screws into the light.

Here is a little better picture of the flange and screws mentioned (sitting on the right side of the head)
You can also see where the screws go into the head itself…………

Robo, is there enough edge spacing at those screw holes? I’m no Superman, but worry about eventually splitting them.
BTW, how is the joint waterproofed? Is there a gasket that the flange press up against?
Thanks.

There is an Oring that sits very tightly in place that seals the flange joint. It is very water proof though , as I put my prototype in a 5 gallon bucket of water over night , with the batteries in it , when I did my testing and it didn’t have a bit of moisture in it after an over night soaking.

There is enough spacing on the edges also and the only light I know of that has broken at that point was dropped from a second or third story of a building , Dale got to work on that one.

I hope there’s a video of that. Or at least the aftermath.
I wonder if the multi-story drop was an accident, or an intentional “test”, kind of like we sometimes see in the Chinese “tactical” flashlight promotional videos?

The missing screws in some orders are not a factory/QA issue - here is Amanda’s comment:

“Several customers complained that they received flashlights missing screw or totally no screws. After checking with domestic courier, it is confirmed that the security check grade of parcels is upgraded in Hangzhou, as Hangzhou is about to hold G20 summit. Since flashlights are defined as electronic products, the checking rate is even higher. The security staff just took off screws without putting them back.

Please inform guys don’t be worry if they receive flashlights like this. Contact us and we will send screws right away. Actually we are considering to cease sending parcels for a while. If the checking grade is upgraded again in August, we are worrying more lights will be disassembled.

Best regards, Amanda”

Chinese security?? Why would they dismantle lights heading OUT of China rather than INTO the G20 summit area - just doesn’t make sense. And having dismantled some, why would security leave them in bits or simply biff screws from these export orders in the bin? Not too clever…

Hard to understand really, but if you happen to receive a light that’s been interfered with and has screws missing, email Amanda asap at :

amanda@maxtoch.cn

I see. A terrorist places an IED in a package. Sends it off into the mail system. Then keeps track of it. When the vehicle carrying the package happens to be near a target en route to its next destination, BEEP and BOOM! Next thing you know, they’d be searching houses to make sure no one is harboring terrorists.

And don’t they have X-ray machines?! Taking apart a suspected explosive device doesn’t seem logical.

They stand in the way of a lot of things and now our flashlights?!

This works for me as well. Much faster info retrieval in fact.

http://track-chinapost.com/

This is another link we used for the Sweden post I think it was………

I have received my two 2X this morning. They are both working fine. One of the paper boxes is broken, but not affect the flashlight that sit inside a bag with styrofoam wrapping. The 2x is very light and smaller than What I expected…

Will post a comparison with other lights soon:)

Dang! People are already receiving lights and my tracking number is still not activated :frowning:
But good things come to those who wait… right?

In the case of the light that broke, I had bumped output on an earlier version for a night security guard at a large outdoor storage facility for big equipment. He was on the 2nd story roof, walking a perimeter and checking the lot, cold, gloves, and I think he slipped a bit and dropped the light. It fell about 14’ onto concrete, hit on an angle and stripped the screws out. I was able to repair it though, except for the dent in the aluminum where it kissed the concrete.

He loves the light for how far it reaches and shows him such a clear picture of what is (and isn’t) out there. :wink:

It is quite redicules to think they can’t x-ray packages. X-rays can go right through aluminum, especially something as thin as our flashlights

Did you terrorize your little sister when you were a kid because she needed it or because it was just fun? I think sometimes customs likes jerking us around just because they can… nature of the beast and all that. I mean, really, for all the trouble they cause do they actually prevent bad things from happening? Makes me wonder how many bombs they have piled up in the corner that they caught coming through…

I have a cousin that’s a brick mason, to talk to him you’d think he didn’t have enough brains to tie his shoes. He has his own Cessna and flies around for the fun of it. Point being, if it’s that easy for Stan to have and operate an airplane, how difficult would it be for someone truly determined to do evil?

An insight on Stan. He wears a Cowboy hat, virtually all the time. But he can’t wear his required headphones in the Cessna with a cowboy hat on. So, when taking a passenger for a ride he stows his cowboy hat in a compartment behind the back seat and dons a plain old baseball cap. He then tells the passenger that the cowboy hat behind them is their responsibility, if, in the event they are going to crash, they are solely responsible for grabbing the cowboy hat from behind them and replacing the ball cap on his head with the cowboy hat. He then laughs a slow stupid sounding chuckle and says in a horrifying slow drawl… “If we’re going down in this tiny little airplane we’re probably gonna die. And I’ll be danged if I’m gonna die with a damned baseball cap on!”

So really, what’s the point in all that elaborate customs harassment? If they’re gonna do it, they’re gonna do it, custom’s ain’t gonna stop anything but some little old ladies with knitting needles and our precious flashlights and batteries!

Edit: So y’all’ll know I wasn’t kidding about Stan and the hat… here he is during the little speech…

Stan looks and sounds like he’s just a cool, mellow, carefree guy to hang out with, not a pea brain. :slight_smile:

Yeah, the government. “Why? Because we can! And there ain’t nothing you can do about it!”

A 14 foot drop is nothing to sniff at, especially for this size of light. Though I’d have expected a failure of the electronics, solder joints or what not, not a broken flashlight body. Wish Maxtoch had used either higher grade or more ductile screws, or better yet, made that flange monolithic with the body tube, so the flange screwed into the head, with a nice positive double O-ring seal at that joint instead.

Maybe I’m just a kid at heart for liking nice ‘surprises’ so phooey on tracking :stuck_out_tongue: It’s on the way and that’s good enough for me. In sleepiness I ordered 4 Samsungs- can’t remember the specs but were p.d.g. :sunglasses: When funds increase I’ll spring for some 30Q’s.

BIG Thanks again to robo819, mudgripz, Amanda, and everyone else who brightened my days (and nights) with making this light happen :+1:

Phil

Mine is on its way to Chicago for some reason.

Reading about that older M24 falling some 14’ I started wondering just what are the odds of that light landing just right in order to have broken right at the point where I would have thought would have been that lights strongest point on the light,
It would seem to me anyhow, having built a few things in my time, that just about any other spot on the old M24 would have broken long before it did at the 4 hex bolt joint, so for my own curiosity I decided to figure out how that might have happened and why, and I certainly found out and I can say this much about these new 2X lights, the odds of that happening again are most likely “zero” well unless maybe you dropped it out of Dale’s cousins airplane perhaps from about 15000 feet but then I still believe it would not break where it did on that M24…
I have compared my new 2X lights to the old M24 which is what Dale had to fix for the poor guy and this is what I discovered.
The hex screws in the M24 where not really bolts but really “are” just tiny hex head screws, really surprised me as that was not what I had thought or more like assumed.
The new 2X… well leave it to Maxtoch, always improving what you would think didn’t need improving or wasn’t even possible to improve, well they have fixed that problem and really well, these are now really hex head bolts…!
I haven’t pulled out the calipers to give you all some precise specs but I took pictures that will explain exactly why I said that I seriously doubt what happened to that M24 will most likely not happen to these new and improved 2X lights, so here you go…
M24 on the left and 2X next to it…

Here’s the screw that is in the M24 on left and the good news the new and improved hex head Bolts on the right.

Thanks, T18. Those indeed are more substantial looking cap screws.

You are so very welcome scs,
Nothing I love more than really good news, to me anyhow that is some really good news… just imagine if Maxtoch hadn’t changed those bolts, screws what have you, like almost any other company would have done, :laughing: