Group Buy CLOSED: MAXToch SN6X-2X

I have mine addressed to Vinh. Amanda promised to send it today.

Nice…how is he going to mod it?

fyi - vinhs flashlight modding service is suspended for a few weeks while he catches up with his custom lights

prob wont effect you at all since it will most likely take >2 weeks to get to him

im going to keep mine stock for a bit and see if i can find a ucl

id like to see what both vinh and tom E come up with before i decide if its worth modding

Sounds like manualman did resistor modding to it, so that's what I'd look at doing first. Of course, I'll check the emitter/star out - gotta go to copper most likely. This light probably has 2 shortcomings, both solvable:

• nice emitter but on a cheap alum star, no direct thermal path - probably gonna be bigger than 20mm, but dunno
  • no AR lens

Basically it's similar size to a Convoy L2, but I think looks better, and 18650 only, and may have better heat sinking. Possible to go MT-G2 with it I would think, dunno bout the driver though, but if the pill interior is large enough, may take a higher amp driver. I never got an L2 though but a lot posted on it.

I mentioned to him just two important points…that I’m not in a hurry, and he can do whatever he thinks needed to be done.
Basically an experiment.

Review - realised I’m the only person who has owned one of these new 2Xs, so have done this v quick review. It is a variation to the review I did on the new SN6X-2S in the 18650 light section. Hope it helps…

Maxtoch is one chinese company that really tries to listen to clients and produce good quality product, and they have made some excellent thrower XMLs in the last couple of years. The first – the SN6X-2 was reviewed on this site by old4570, and is identical to the Skyray STL-V2 with peak output around 50k lux. Maxtoch then varied this light with a second generation SN6X-2 which produced about 60k lux. This second model had a deeper reflector than the original model with 25% tighter beam. These lights are ideal for hunting and have become hugely popular for New Zealand outdoor use. Maxtoch have now produced 2 new models, the 9.5”/400gms Sn6X-2S at 69-72k lux stock, and this bigger Limited Edition SN6X-2X at 92k lux. Both well worth consideration.

Quick review on 2X:

My new SN6X-2X arrived in a gift box and was beautifully presented. Box also included a spare tail-switch rubber, tail switch, nice lanyard and spare O-rings. Nice touch. Quality of finish for the new 2S and 2X models is a big step up from past two models – impressive in matt black with excellent threads etc. Quality as good as any light I have recently seen and better than most. I believe models now come in canvas bags.

Performance listed as up to 1300 lumens with XML-2, and lux reading on my meter showed 92k at 6 meters. Head and cooling fins well made and thermal efficiency great. With head diameter of 68mm beam is excellent – very even and combines normal SN spill plus very good long distance throw. In paddock test it just showed 1m powerbox on pole at 450m, and was very strong at 1-200m range.

For runtime tests on full power I used Trustfire 3000mAh batts and on high they lasted 75 minutes with new batts. I’d expect 100+ from panasonic 3100s - good runtime for an XML grunter.

The weight at 442gms and length at 10” makes for a substantial light, and while its fine for general purpose and Search and Rescue etc, it’s not really a scope mountable light for hunting. My 2X has hi-med-low switch setting, with mode memory. The 2X includes a gold plated spring for better conductivity and has excellent rubber seals for waterproofing. Batt tube on mine is 2 piece but torch cannot be set to run on just one battery.

Price is normally $65US – quite acceptable for its high quality and good performance. I think the special buy price at $59 offers alot of light for the money.

Manualman in NZ did some development experiments with this 2X and after dedoming, addition of a copper board, XPg2, and variable resistor had it running at 300k lux. However we swapped back in the XML2 with its more usable beam and this 2X is presently at 230k. Runtime on panasonic 3100s at this is 73 minutes on full noise. Light becomes warm but does not appear to heat up much.

In summary this is a well made light, of good quality with an excellent beam – very long throw plus spill. It’s quality and output put it up with more expensive lights. Standard its ideal for those looking for a good thrower, but also has alot of usable spill. Modified the 230k lux at present gives an ANSI measurement of 959 meters. I can well see this reaching 300k lux with an XML2 in the hands of Vin, Tom E etc. The new Maxtoch 2S and 2X lift the well regarded earlier Maxtoch SN6X-2/Skyray STL-V2 to another level, but maintain affordable price.

Quite alot of light for the price - and the aliexpress photos depict it well. Maxtoch (Amanda) very good to deal with.

Hope that helps…

Not bad. It comes with a trendy-looking nylon bag and holster too.
:wink:

mudgripz…do you have any personal pics of your MAXToch? Any beamshots? Thanks.

Mudgripz,
I just received another email from Amanda reconfirming emitter is XM-L2 U2 1A.

The reflector is 65mm. I will ask for additional photos.

No beamshots Krono or additional photos - the aliexpress photos are good.

Good to hear about XML2-U2 - they must be changing to them now.

I’d like to get a couple of those holsters - would be good for several different lights.

I would be in, but already bought one just days before this thread took off. Can’t wait, to say the least.

Maxtoch may have changed the spring in the 2S and 2X, but be aware my one had the usual minor issue with the longer panasonic batts. They work well but I have to put batts in, fit tailcap on a turn or two, switch light on, then tighten tailcap til light goes out then come back half a turn - then all is sweet.

Alternatively you can just shorten spring a tad if maxtoch have not already done so - they were planning to recently.

Does it come with the Canon lens in the third pic? :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you.

Here is the list for those that have submitted payment info for the MAXToch SN6X-2X Group Buy (as of 10/24/13):

Total of 10 units so far:

jmpaul320 - 1pc SN6X-2X, $59.90
tatasal - 1pc SN6X-2X, already paid
HarleyQuin - 1pc SN6X-2X, $59.90
Tom E - 1pc SN6X-2X, $59.90
magnet - 1pc SN6X-2X, $59.90
Lightsaber - SN6X-2X, $59.90
crnkin - 4pcs SN6X-2X, $239.60

I will be sending MAXToch the spreadsheet order this evening. Hopefully you will have your paypal invoice as early as tomorrow. Make sure you double check your paypal invoice for accuracy!

I’ll update the OP with this info as well.

Thanks for the participation so far!

Cheers,
krono

Thanx mudgripz! Exc. brief review. Dunno, but I'm getting excited bout this one . The biq Q's right now is the pill cavity size, driver mount size, star mount - copper upgrade-ability, etc. But if Manual Man did the resistor pot method, that's a good sign.

Ben (manual man) has used 20mm copper pad (probably noctigon) in place of the original 32mm board, which for all intents and purposes, I would assume is the same as stl v6 etc.

He suggested he has adjusted the driver to 16w, which to me says just below 4amps? 230 kcd with an xml2-t6.

I just bought a few to try xml2-u2, mtg2 and possibly an xpg2 depending on if I can get over 5 amps from the driver.

With the amount of lights in the 200k+ bracket once modded, it would be kind of pointless if we cant get 300k out of it, but I am very hopeful more than that will be possible, considering over 400k is doable from a tn31.

I think it will be most useful in an MTG2 config which is what I’m most hoping for, just need to figure out a driver option, or just DD?

I have made another order from Hank at intl-outdoor and its not looking good, no communication, no tracking number, just taken my money and run again. This is the second time he has failed to deliver, from 2 tries! So disappointed, looks like mtg2 noctigons arent in my future. Sick of cowboys in this industry!

Chris

I never have a problem with Intl-outdoor before, may be can try pm Hank . His web currently not listing many flashlights though.

His list of drivers getting smaller too.