Has anyone spotted Cree XML2 on sale??

+1 - I already put a XML2 T6 in a C8 pill - it does appear to be about the same brightness as a U3 1C. A light meter on a ceiling bounce test confirms that, if that technique is accurate...

Well, if the XML2's were available on a star PCB, it all depends on the light because PCB mounts vary quite a bit. Typically they are 16mm or 20mm, but a TF X9, for example, has something like a 30mm PCB. If you can get at it and it's a std size, then you have to de-solder the 2 wires, and hopefully pop off the PCB - sometimes they are epoxy'ed, sometimes greased, sometimes nothing (bad). In replacing it, you shouold definitely use thermal epoxy or grease, depending on how it's secured - if nothing is holding it down, then epoxy is a better choice, but if there is something present pressing down on the PCB, then thermal grease could do. Some guys use a combo of both - grease for the most part, and dabs of epoxy on the outer part so the PCB can be more easily removed at a later time. Of course re-solder the + and - leads, secure whatever else, sometimes sticky discs or plastic LED tab, or nothing -- you want to be sure you can't short out a wire on the reflector. Also, the height is critical of the new PCB compared to the old - you want to be pretty close to keeping the height the same, so the reflector can be seated properly when screwing the bezel back on.

Today I have found ThruNite’ new release in their official ebay store.
They will launch newly light with XM-L2 LED recently.
Original source:

- Recently We will launch NEWLY Light Saber series 1A,1C , ThruNite battery and ThruNite battery charger sets which are compatible for our ThruNite flashlights.Any interest,Please follow our eBay store.

- Recently we will launch newly Super flashlight Torch with newest XM-L2 LED which is No.1 in the market

I received a couple of XM-L2’s from Illumination supply today, and re-flowed one onto an Led-Tech copper pcb. I installed it into a P60 that’s about 4.25A.

Did you have to add more solder to the PCB when you reflowed the new led or did you use the one that stayed in them PCB when you removed the old led?

There was enough solder there already.
One thing i did wrong though, is that i placed the XM-L2 onto the pcb witih the + & - reversed. I copied the orientation of the XM-L, so had the little internal wires inside the Led pointing to the same side, but the XM-L2 is constructed in the opposite way to the XM-L.

EDIT: Sorry, bad explanation. If you see in the pic i posted above, the little dot in the corner of the Led is on the positive side of the pcb, but it should be on the negative side.

Matt -- that's exactly what I did the first time!! I tried powering it up - no luck, then realized. The LED still seemed ok, hope it didn't have any side effects.

Hi Tom, yeah easy mistake I guess :slight_smile:
The Led seems fine anyway. Has a nice pure white tint.

Those Led-Tech copper pcb’s look great, I am going to have to get some.

Are you able to pull 4.25A off of the xm-l2 with a 18650? I read that xm-l2 can’t pull as much current as the last gen xm-l’s.

Just got in the 5 XM-L2 U2 1C's I ordered from IlluminationSupply, and some blank aluminum star's (no copper). Now I have to figure where to use them - one is definitely reserved for the Crelant 7G9, if I can ever get access to the LED... Got a lumens light box coming by the weekend hopefully, so I'll probably hold off til then for before/after measurements.

I tried a few different cells and got results from 3.6A to 4.25A.
Protected cells seemed to only give upto 3.6 or 3.8A. Panasonic cgr18650ch gave 4.1 to 4.2A, and some new Samsung inr18650-20r’s got 4.25A.

Edit: The Led tech copper stars seem good. They are 2-3 times as thick as other copper stars, but don’t allow the reflector to be screwed on as much because of this.

I have the LED-tech one. it's not 2-3 times thicker than other copper stars. Others are 1.2mm and 1mm the one from ledt-tech has a 1.5mm copper base it's about 1.55mm with the circuit on top.

It’s 2-3 times thicker than the copper star I pulled out of the p60 yesterday, but I haven’t seen any others to compare.

How thick is that one in millimeters?

I don't understand - I don't see copper stars listed on the led-tech site - do you have a link?

There are none. I bought a NW LED with a copper core printed circuit board.

Ok - that makes sense. That's all I saw - I don't get it - why wouldn't they sell the copper stars separately? And why offer them only on 1 XML tint/bin? I can't find them sold separately anywhere.

The had others but at sold out. With a bit of patience I am sure they will also have XM-L2.

Still what is the thickness of that copper star in milliliters? I cannot imagine being thinner than 1mm.

@Hikelite

I’ll check later when home.

Great explanation !

Because I have xm-l2 emitters and pcb’s incoming and kept asking myself which way to mount them on the pcb’s.