Help! Any PC BIOS guru out there?

Sheesh, sucks Jdub.
I have an Inspiron 1525 you may have for the shipping
ST: 9NJ8ZG1
swapped out the celeron to a C2D 2.00ghz (06FD)
4GB ram DDR2 @ 677ghz It is maxed out, 160 mechanical HDD, fresh Win7 X64 Ultimate installed (no Dell BS OS), Bios updated, A17 (AND IT WORKS) ouch… Sorry :smiley:
Intel graphics X3100 something maybe? 1280X800 native, has HDMI not sure what it could do max on a TV or monitor. Could check for ya.
Really is like New, no wear on touch pad or outside top or anything else. Really do not think it was put into the field. Light use loaner? Don’t know.
Has a battery and bios says its healthy, Normal.

I got it free and its yours if you want it.
I did the CPU and all the updates after, can do Win10 upgrade free if you want it also. The Win7 Ultimate is genuine as far as MS is concerned, will update and take OS upgrades to 10.
No worries on it, I have no use for it and no one I know needs it. You deserve it for the wife.
Nick

The best and safest solution in this thread so far. Chances that you, or anybody else, can revitalize this thing is very slim. I would take it.

Written by someone who on more than one occasion has rendered 99.9% perfect things into 100% useless things with a “last touch”.

vwpieces nice!

As I said not much of a computer guy. My reasoning was that if the Phoenix tool is meant to work on the 1745 but won’t work from the USB would it work from the HDD I it is spinning. I guess the answer is no.

I’m not a computer guy but did know that much :student: The bios chip I saw claims to be flashed with the latest bios for the specific model, but I didn’t notice mention of graphics etc. I imagine one would need to talk to the seller for those details. The seller is biosdepot with over 25000 feedback at 99.5% so I would have thought they would be selling the correct part if that is their specialty.

Hmm, one other thought, would it be possible to flash the current chip on the board with something similar to a soic8 clip? As a hypothetical idea, not as a practical solution.

J-dub has done a lot for BLF, if he accepts vwpieces offer how about a few of us chip in a couple dollars each to cover the shipping for him?

:+1:

4AM for me here, right now.
Would be funny to have that all “done” before Jdub wakes up.

how much is it?

I would say $15 USD

I already looked at a side load Medium Flat rate box, 12” x 3-1/2” x 14” and it would be tight on the 14in length. But that box is $13.90 anywhere in USA.

And his studio 1745 should use the same AC adapter as this inspirion 1525. He should have that already, I don’t have a spare.
Earlier today I had taken a spare Dell AC adapter to mom for her 2nd Dell I built. And that’s her 3rd AC adapter. All good, I got a hot meal.

How much is the next size box? Might want a little packing foam to make sure it arrive safely?

8 pounds to MI zip 48107 as a guess is $15.45
7 pounds to MI zip 48107 as a guess is $13.90
I guessed pretty well at the $15
laptop actually weighs 5 pounds 13 ounces unpacked.

Have PM-ed you.

$8.15 has been pledged to the shipping so far, :+1: guys.

$2.50 from me as well now

$10.65 we are up to. All international friends.
Wake up USA and chip in. You can skip that Starbucks coffee, get a dollar MacDonald instead.

Wow guys. I wondered why I saw so many new posts were here in this thread. This is such an awesome community of people. :slight_smile:

A very sincere thank you to vwpieces, Henk4U2, The Miller and all jumping in trying to help me out of this bind. That said, I need to decline this very generous offer. I feel bad saying so as the intent behind this is so generous and I’m very moved. The thing is (guess I should have gone into more detail) my wife does have a laptop now. Actually very close to the one vwpieces offered. The reason I was trying to get this newer one done for my wife is that the performance on her current laptop is a little slow and she has really been hoping for a 17” screen. The one I’ve been working on fit the bill just right until I bricked it.

I found a great deal on a 2 year old inspiron 15 with a 4th gen. Intel i7 quad core processor from the Dell refurb store a while back but she wasn’t interested because it was the same size screen she currently has. So we’re just waiting until a 17” is in the budget.

Again thank you very much for such a generous offer. This is what BLF is all about. :+1:

Mainboard company loves you
If you brick your mainboard(especially desktop), with no hardware damaged, you can reflash(or replace )the bios chip
Many desktop mainboard have replaceable Bios chip, no solder required

I've done lots of firmware/bios's for embedded products. Most of the time, when we can, we have a separate boot loader program, apart from the main BIOS to avoid these type of things from happening. Another thing we do is have two copies of the BIOS stored in flash, so when you download, it finishes, and passes checksum/CRC-16/CRC-32 tests, only then is it the active copy. Otherwise, it still runs the "old" copy. Either method avoids the most likely causes of bricking a board. We've been doing this for years/decades - surprising this hasn't caught on with mainstream motherboards. Maybe they think they are saving a couple pennies, or think their BIOS is perfect so no need to upgrade, dunno.

I’ve read of several people successfully recovering their Phoenix BIOS using wincrisis from a bootable USB. I think I got close but no dice so far. It may be that I just don’t have the right key combination to initiate the BIOS recovery mode for my model Dell. For example you hold the (Ctrl key Home key for Asus laptop) or (B key Windows key for HP laptop) or (FN key + ESC key for Acer laptop) down at the same time while plugging in the AC adapter with the laptop battery removed. On systems that have a fairly common Phoenix BIOS this is supposed to initiate the BIOS recovery mode and that’s where the wincrisis software would auto-run if the conditions are right.

Here is what happens on mine if I have the recovery USB in place and turn the power on.
I get one beep at power on then the USB lights up. Maybe 5 seconds later the LED in the USB drive starts flashing like its being accessed. Just as it would while writing or copying files in a working computer. Then I hear a buzz from the speakers for maybe 2 seconds followed by a series of beeps, maybe four. So, something is alive at some state because it is reading my USB in some way and the media panel lights scroll back and forth just as in a normal power up pre-crash. It is this little bit of activity that gave me at least a small amount of hope. Still, at this point I just have a fancy brick that makes lights and a few noises… :person_facepalming:

I did do some looking online and I can get a replacement motherboard for about $30-35 for a working pull or a refurb. It’s the last option I wanted because it’s a pain in the butt but I do have that option when I’m ready. It’s just a tedious job requiring an hour or two and keeping the kitten away from all the little shiny things he can bat around. My wife’s current laptop is a Frankensystem built this way. A few years ago a friend gave me his laptop when the motherboard went and he didn’t want to repair it. I got a matching parts laptop for $40 on “the bay” and mixed and matched the best components from each and she’s been using it for 3 years now. I like being frugal and I don’t mind the work but it’s hard to find that kind of spare time these days.

Oh I would choose a new mobo for $40 over a new BIOS chip for $25 for sure.
Tedious but doable :wink: specially in a nice big 17” space :wink: