Hey Scotch drinkers of BLF...

There shouldn’t be hangovers. If your having hangovers your drinking swill :slight_smile:

hangover?

you mean that itch behind my eye?

Hmm, let me iterate my bar in mind…

Glenmorangie original 10 yrs
Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban 12 yrs <- One of my favs
Oban 14 yrs
Dalwhinnie 15 yrs
Glenfiddich Special Reserve 12 yrs
Glen Scotia Campbeltown 20 yrs, single cask, cask #40(!!) <- Simply the best! :slight_smile:
Glenlivet French Oak 15 yrs
…and for the fans of peaty:
Talisker 16 yrs <- i drink this too, i kind of like it :wink:
Lagavulin 16 yrs <- i do not drink this, smells and tastes like something used to start a grill… :smiley:

Ballantines ?yrs, blended, for the ignorants needing ice or coke (yuck!) in their dram…

…and that’s only the scotchs… :wink:

I like most single malt Scotch along with good Bourbon and I recently tried Bulleit Rye which is a beautifully smooth American rye whiskey which makes Jim Beam Rye (Yellow label) taste very rough and unaged in comparison. My Scotch at the moment includes two different versions of Laphroaig and several nice Bourbons are in the cabinet too. I like whiskeys with deep flavor which leaves out most Irish and Canadian affordable whiskeys which tend to be relatively light tasting blended whiskeys with lots of grain neutral spirits used in their makeup. Many find Laphroaig and other Islay single malt whiskeys to be too peaty but to me that helps make them distinctive.

Based on the Bulleit Rye a rye whiskey does not have to be rough tasting. Bulleit claims to be made from a 95% rye mash with the other grain being malted Barley.

A half year down the road, I`ve had more whisky in 6 months than I have had in my whole life ;)

Tonight Im on Hibiki... anybody heard of it? got it as a present.

My MIL told me its better than the Yamazaki. And more expensive.

Thread revivial

I have since had one or two glasses of Yamazaki, it is quite nice but I prefer Hakushu. I got a red hot discount from the local bottle recently too (see pic of receipt). I have had some cheaper Nikka whiskeys but I didn’t think much of them. I am curious to try Hibiki but as usual the well aged ones are $$$.

Had a friend recently link me to a store over east (Oz) that imports a variety of Japanese whiskeys

I have also tried my hand at cutting the bottles. I practiced on some beer bottles then tried to cut the chivas bottle. The first chivas bottle cracked, splintered and chipped awefully so I practiced on a Hakushu bottle then tried another chivas bottle. Got it right second time round.

Practice beer bottles -

I have yet to sand the lip on the chivas

BUT it doesn’t help with trying to get the dregs out

Right there with you on Glenmorangie. :+1: Wonderful stuff. I’ve had 4 or 5 different variations and all excellent though the one aged in port barrels stands out. That’s not to say that it’s the only one I like. I don’t have the budget for the really expensive stuff but Glenfiddich and Glenlivet are a treat. Johnny Walker black is quite nice too.

Edit: Wow I missed how long ago this thread was started! :smiley: pinkpanda3310 those Chivas glasses are awesome. :+1: Here’s a tip though. Tilt the glass towards your mouth. Gravity is your friend here. :stuck_out_tongue:

… Bushmills Reserve …

Have given all my whisky away before we moved here, felt like blasphemy to bring a collection of single malts living in the region where Cognac is actually made.

Still regret the bottles of Laphroaig 8 years I gave away, they stopped making it so i got a few since he roughness was most appealing and the older ones are too smooth :wink:

Hilarious we had dinner in the town Cognac, on the menu, 2 brands of Cognac in different ages and 12 different whiskies…

I have one bottle of malt and for the rest way to much fun in flavoring Cognac
Got seasoned oak, leftovers from barrel production, adding pieces of that a bit charred is nice
Coffee beans, raw cocoa beans also is nice.
For the colder months a variety lf herbs and spices.
Just today a friend dropped of 10 of Cognac straigh from a maker in simple VS quality, playtime! The elderberry trees and roses are about to blossom, time to make lemonade and after filling the bottles i have half a 10L pan full of flowers drenched in sugar, cover it with a spirit and some real nice liquer is the result

So i dont see me buy Scotch anymore except if i see Laphroaig 8 :smiley:

Oh dang, forgot
PP that looks awesome!

Glenmorangie is my favorite as well! Hibiki is very good. Just the right amount of smokiness.

Digging up some old posts I see! Well since the last time I had posted, I pulled the trigger and bought a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue. I told myself that once I made Captain, I’d buy a bottle and propose to my [then] girlfriend. The bottle is now half drank and our wedding is in 10 days from today!

Congratulations Captain … “Here’s mud in your eye”

Great Choice … Smooth as a Kitten’s wrist.

Blueb8llz, where exactly in CA do you live? :wink:
Pinkpanda, excellent glasses!

In the Bay Area. 20 minutes from San Francisco.

Yeh, my idea of “good scotch” is Jim Beam Honey. Much prefer dark b33r. Got a case of Warsteiner I haven’t dented yet. Love Heinie Dark, Dinkel-Acker Dark, Newcastle Nut Brown Ale, Killian’s Red, Catamount Porter (and Christmas Ale), Samuel Jackson Oktoberfest (and their Pumpkin Ale was great, too), and of course Warsteiner.

Cider and perry, too, depending on my mood. Sam Smith’s Organic is pretty amazing.

Regular scotch? Unno, never thrilled me.

Lightbringer; I’m a huge dark/dunkel fan as well. To me, Guinness beer isn’t dark or pungent enough. You should check out Founders - Breakfast Stout, and New Belgium - 1554 (Black Lager). Makes Guinness taste like a bottle of water :beer: :smiling_imp:

I think I had Founders once upon a time, but forgot which variety. I tend to “sample” the new’n’odd brands that pop up at my “local” b33r place. Hmm, nothing looked familiar at their own website, but the wiki entry listed a few “familiar”(?) names.

Oh! Zywiec Porter was a really nice surprise when I tried it a while ago. Gotta go back for some more.

If you ever get to try Catamount (any variety), let me know. Lotta people either love it or hate it. The porter definitely has to be matched with a food that can stand up to it.

One of the best I ever had was at the Manhattan Brewing Company æons ago (no idea if it’s still around, unfortunately). You can go up there and eat, like, real food, ’though with the “ambience” of a high-school cafeteria, and have whatever’s on tap to go-with. Good Lord, there was a dark brew that had hints of chocolate, coffee, “berry”, and was incredible. I had to go up and meet the braumeister. Lot of those brews are one-offs, though, and never saw it for sale anywhere.

Bugger. MBC closed in ’91.

Aha! That’s him! Garrett Oliver!

Had no idea he was that famous.

I can still picture him in the white “lab coat” in front of those huge SS vats.

Nice. I’m about an hour north. You have a world class home bar.