High-CRI Flashlight Host Advice

I’m trying to build the highest-CRI flashlight I can. I’m going to get a VR21P4 MCPCB with 4 Optisolis LEDs from Virence.com and a Carclo 10623 optic from MTN, but I’m wondering: What should I use as a host?

I originally thought about a Convoy C8(+) host, but I realised that that was designed for a reflector, not a TIR optic like the 10623, and I’m not really sure how that will work. The only requirements I have are that the light can fit the 20-21mm MCPCB (21, but can be safely sanded to 20mm) and the Carclo optic. Driver suggestions are also welcome.

Thanks,
Depot

I found two packages that may work.

• Ask Hank (intl-outdoor.com) if he sells you a Emisar D4 Host (or buy the cheapest D4 on mtn) and marry that with an Texas Ace driver by lexel without the FET (and maybe reduced 7135 chips)
  • Get a convoy M1 / M2, a copper spacer from kiriba-ru and a led4power LD-A4 driver since it has true current regulation and no PWM.

Depends on your goals. Each option has it's merits.

Reading about the Nichia Optisolis LEDs, it may be neccesary to further lower the current. So maybe a typical convoy driver with 2x7135 chips or a LD-A4 driver reduced to 1A total current may be needed.

As far as they are tested, 4 Optisolis leds on a VR21P4 board can be run at 3A continuously (but more is probably not a great idea so the current must be controlled).

Ok, so in that case, a Texas Avenger driver with 8x7135 would top out at 2.8A

That sounds reasonable if the FET is removed so it stays within the limits.

Now, i think if you flash a default Emisar D4 Anduril onto the TA driver, it would treat the 7x7135 bank as the FET.

But that's a hard question... E-Switch and PWM which may change the color a bit vs. true constant current...

Fun about the Optisolis leds is that tint variation with changing current is minimal.

Jaxman E2L? Mtn sells the hosts. You’ll probably need to sand down the MCPCB

The Carclo 10623 is a quad, and a bit wider than the 10570 triple, so will not fit in the E2L.

The CPF Cometa is still on sale at $15.99 from chinese warehouse, may be worth a try.

Cheers ^:)

Thanks so much! I’ve already got a D4 and I love it and its ramping UI. Sadly, though, all this talk of flashing drivers goes above my head. I’m no electrical engineer, just your average Joe who wants to try to make a useful flashlight with a CRI barely under 100. I’ll send a message to Hank and see what I can do about a host, and hopefully then it should be easier to figure out a driver.

Just ask Lexel. I'm pretty sure he can flash a "no FET" version of Narsil or Anduril.

Interesting thread. I also haven’t found a host/driver to use the quad Optisolis I got from Clemence.

I sent an email to Hank, so we’ll see what he says. I doubt I’ll get a reply before Monday due to the holiday though.

Convoy S2+

Would a 10623 optic work in the S2+?

staticx, what did you use for the home made reflector? Looks like plastic to me. Is it strong enough to resist the compression from turning the pill?

It’s a LEDiL Boom White Reflector. It is actually very strong and rigid and doesn’t compress at all.

You can if you want it to. Youd have to sand it but plenty of people have put the 4 up optics in.

Wow thanks! That is very helpful! How’s the beam? Any donut holes from the quad? I put one 4xE21A in a Sofirn flashlight, which resulted in a horrible donut hole, I guess due to the smooth reflector so I had to take it.

What is a 4 up optic?

Luckily no donut hole. Ever so slight flower petal you get with multi emitter multi reflector lights but it doesn’t bug me at all like a donut hole would.

4 up is another way to describe the quad optics

That looks pretty good! I might have to get one of those reflectors as well as the Carclo to see how it looks.

Sweet! I’m going to buy that reflector and build one too. Just waiting for Kiriba-RU to release the copper S2+ pills for single emitters (should work with quads too).