How Happy Are You (Or Your Country)

So what do people all way north, with long winters and reduced daylight hours during the winter do with their time? DIVORCE!

They found that in many of the large counties in the state, the rates of divorce filings increased by around 33 percent between December and March.

So now we know the correlation between happiness and north. Divorce.

:confounded:

Perhaps I should have mentioned in the OP that the data used is derived from questions posed to the residents of the countries. Some of the questions are….

“Are you satisfied or dissatisfied with your freedom to choose what you do with your life?”

“Have you donated money to a charity in the past month?”

“Is corruption widespread throughout the government or not?” and “Is corruption widespread within businesses or not?” .

Regarding the northern climate. People used to live in smaller hamlets, spread about the northern countryside. They were more dependent upon each other in times past. I believe this led to developemnet of a more social people; people to whom it was second nature to help other people. I believe this culture is still a part of how people in those top rated countries interact socially.

That’s a very simplistic explanation but I think it has merit.

The long dark nights can have deliterious effects for certain. Suicide rates are higher in northern winters than in northern summers. However, as for divorce, northern Europe does better than the US and Canada has a lower divorce rate than the US.

Copied from the telegraph

BUT don’t put too much into that because a quick search shows that there is a higher rate of marriage in the US than in the nordic countries or Canada……

Well, I guess that just goes to prove that 47% of all statistics are made up. :innocent:

:person_facepalming: :person_facepalming: :person_facepalming: … That…. tells me all I need to know. . :confounded:

Russia is in 68th place, I am the only happy in this country :slight_smile:

The United Nations isn't perfect, but they do a lot of good in the world.

I would hate to see a modern-day world without the U.N.

I could not live in most of the top 10. Winter just too long and dark. Denmark is kinda sweet. And ofcourse everyone loves the netherlands. Such a chill country. Only lacks some proper mountains here and there.

Maybe I should spend the summer in sweden and the winter in new zealand.

ROFL :disappointed: :student:

I interact with the Old Order Amish here in PA everyday for over 30 years and This is the way the Amish still operate, small communities where they are dependent on each other.
Faith, Family and Community are their bedrocks.
That is why they are against automobiles, they fear the easy access to go a far distance will hurt the close local ties. They will of course hire an English or New order Mennonite to transport them but shun the motor vehicles as much as possible. Work trucks again operated by English is fine to get them to their construction jobs, etc.

Their local church sects are limited to usually 25-30 families as it becomes to large of a group to host Church at their residences.
When they get over that number they split the district.

And I can tell you this, their children are polite well behaved and do not need to be asked to do something, they want to help as do the adults to neighbors, English, Mennonite, or any group.
They also will adopt children of color and raise them and then let the child decide whether to join the church of be on their way into the world.
One of the first school shootings was near here in Nickel Mines where a disturbed man killed 5 Amish girls and wounded 5 more girls. Within hours of the killing the Amish can forward and said they Forgave and were praying for the family of the killer as they knew this was the actions of one man and not of a family.
Show me another group of people who does that.
Are they perfect?
No, of course not they are humans after all and make some of the same mistakes we all do but by and large they have a good culture.

JMHO

Tuanks for sharing that Muto, very interesting read! :+1:

I'm happy I don't live in a few of the places listed ..or not listed .

like st. paul says ... be content where you are .

I cant work out why Tasmania did not make the list. :cry:
Its number one in my book.
New Zealand is ahead of Aus? Half of New Zealand’s population lives in Aus. :person_facepalming:

So then with half the New Zealanders in Aus, there is more space for the ones left and they are happier for it. :wink:

Very good. Opportunity to open a business. A lot of investment platforms… so on…

Spot on Macka.

If that’s any indicator as to their irrelevance…. :person_facepalming:

When you poll a bunch of Stepford Wives, they will think they're happy.

Just sayin'

If you NOT happy where you are.
Go Somewhere else.

BUT. Before you do.
Just remember.

If YOU can’t make a go of it where you are.
It’s VERY unlikely you’ll make a go of it elsewhere.

Workers only included it this. Bludgers go elsewhere please.

We need to stop ALL payments to people that have not worked for over 6 months and have NOTHING wrong with them.

FOOD. Clothing, and rent vouchers only.

At least then.
ALL us workers and Taxpayers will be a LOT happier.
No matter where we living.

I’m 77yrs. My generation and the 2 before us. Made the civilised world what it is today.
These so called “leaders” you have nowadays.
are giving it all away. quicker than the workers can pay the taxes to cover it.
THEY are the main problem nowadays.
I wouldn’t want to be in the Western World in 50 yrs time.
We’ll all be long gone, thank the lord.

@ Macka17…. Well said mate!! . :+1: