I Need To Check Myself In For Flashlight Counseling

Meh.

My wife, the shrink, calls it "Retail Therapy."

Who am I to argue with a professional ?

Could we call this A Feeding Frenzy?

It's probably called depression my wife left me close to 2 years ago (whore) and when I was married I could never buy anything I wanted but she comes home with avon books saying I'm ordering this and this...well you get the point. So it's just me and my Golden Retriever "Kody" Don't get me wrong I miss my wife and step Daughter but she screwed me over 2 times and there was not going to be a third. Sorry Guys, buying things you love (flashlights) sure puts a smile back on my face, Sorry to bore you with my messed up life.. Does anyone recommend a great photoshop? I have been using Image Shack but it wont let me sign in....

Well Rikr, if that's the case, buy more flashlights, there is absolutely nothing wrong with you!! I don't think you can go broke buying flashlights as long as you are working, and it's definitely better than alcohol or gambling. Cheers!

i just spent morethan $1000 worth of flashlight in just 3 days....

a lesser man wouldn't give a second chance, or would just give the same treatment back.

I could tell my story, but I think you already know it.

At least you're not drinking the money. Why spend it on a therapist if this hobby helps (sorry therapists' husbands lol). You could sell all your lights tomorrow if you wanted...if you have the money, I wouldn't worry about collecting one bit...

Thank you everyone, I didn't mean to spill my guts. You guys are really GREAT!!!

What dthrckt said. Besides, there's nothing wrong with spending money on something you enjoy as long as you don't have to sell a kidney.

A guy I know started out making holsters as sort of a hobby (long story) and eventually, he turned it into a business. He found his niche and as far as I can tell, he's doing well because everybody is making Kydex holsters now and he's still in business. What seemed like a costly hobby back then (CNC, etc) turned into a profitable business that employs several people. Life is funny that way.

@harry25175, is that US dollars? And here I am sitting and weighing the pros and cons of the XT20 and the V60C, both of which I kind of want but absolutely don't need.

I could probably have a million in the bank and I'd still be doing that. :D

yes... in U$.. this hobby is getting me crazy..... :)

Hang in there buddy. Things will work out.

My Ex-wife (married for 37 years) used to tell me about all the people who got divorced when the kids left the house. She must have been planning it as that is just what she did. I had to sneak any new gun into the house. One of the first things my new bride asked me to do was buy her an AR15. You gota love it.

I was married at 19 years old and never thought I would get divorced but I did. But there is a light at the end of the tunnel. (In my case, lots of lights. LOL) After getting married to my new bride, (3 1/2 years ago now) I heard three little words more in the first 2 months of my marriage than in the whole 37 years I was married to my first wife. I LOVE YOU! I didn't know it could feel so good. There is someone out there for everyone.

I appreciate having you guys around. My wife is giving me grief about my growing collection, so I just point her to threads like this or the picture of all rikr's lights and she just says "Oh my God...". Retail therapy is good for you to a point. Funny, but I think it's a human condition to collect. My wife and kids were crazy about those Ty Beanie Babies back in the 90's, my brother collects bicycles, his wife collects purses, one of my cycling buddies has every brand new hi-tech gadget known to man, and I swear my wife collects shoes based on the number in our closet. I even have two Hallmark Christmas ornament collections (Classic Trucks and Airplanes) that I've been working on for close to 20 years.

So keep it up ILF and rikr - you guys give us all something to admire and maybe even strive to emulate. We just need you to update the pictures of all your lights.

ILIKE: Have you got a list of your lights here so we can take a look at and drool at what you have?

I think this thread is pretty good flashlight therapy.

I would say AA is not enough - at least a 2AA sessions would be required in most of these typical cases

Love it!

But maybe an 18650 session would help more?

:P

"..Funny, but I think it's a human condition to collect..."

I agree with you. In fact, I'm pretty much convinced by now that just about every human impulse and instinct has its roots firmly buried in primeval genetic programming to simply survive and evolve. Collecting began (I believe) with our distant, probably pre-human ancestors putting by for hard times. It's hard to reconcile the idea of our pre-Neanderthal forbears hoarding food and water with our surfing of Chinese websites on a computer, but the link is there as a minute, deeply buried/embedded shred of us, stretching unbroken all the way back to pre-history.

Why flashlights? Well, perhaps because light has always been synonomous with warmth, comfort, safety, growth; the ability to produce this life-giving (or life saving) power with the click of a button is an awesome genetic box-ticker. We humans like to believe that we're the pinnacle of evolutionary achievement but the truth is we're still at a very primitive stage of our development, unconsciously at the mercy of our ancient influences.

Just my thoughts. You're of course free to disagree.

After buying a DRY i promissed myself not to buy another expensive flashlight, but recently i have my eyes on a 85w 'ebay' HID. At the moment the seller has 4200k bulbs only 6000k and as i dont think the 6000k will be a very nice tint to use outdoor that is helping me at the moment not to buy it :p

Let me get all the other ones I have ordered and I will try and take another picture. Heck my wife gave one of my lights I gave her away the other day. Sort of made me mad. But I don't have nowhere near the collection that Rick has.

"Compulsive buying is not limited to people who spend beyond their means, it also includes people who spend an inordinate amount of time shopping or who chronically think about buying things but never purchase them"

I was thinking it didn't apply to me, then I read that.

Meh.

I always think one must find and solve the root of the problem, rather than its symptoms. It's also bad to ignore them. If buying flashlights is a symptom of some kind of depression or something, then it's likely an issue that should be dealt with in a healthier way. Probably no need to quit collecting, but don't let it be a reason to ignore a true cause, or it will never really be resolved. Coffee might wake you up, but you still need to sleep.

well said. it'd be tough to disagree - that was all completely logical, imho.

Similarly, shopping around on price and features is exercising the same decision making abilities that helped our ancestors survive when resources were scarce.

Along these lines, I've found a trick that helps me spend less. Go through the research thoroughly (on a flashlight, or anything else...) and make a final selection - then put it on a list of planned purchases. Never buy until a week has passed. Having made the decision, I'm often satisfied and end up deciding not to buy. It also frees my mind (and time) from thoughts of pros/cons etc.

I do the same thing with project (mostly flashlight or boat mods). If I write it down when I get an idea, I spend less time aimlessly considering the project, and I feel much less compelled to just go make it reality right away.

Anyway - when I still want it after that week...bang on the paypal button:)

Of course this rule does not allow for getting in on great deals - and I do that often. Rules are made to be broken!