If and only if you have both, which do you like better, Roche or Convoy?

Convoy all the way :wink:

It's an apples to oranges question .

jetbeam or sunwayman ?

fenix or nitecore ?

the prices of them aren't the same and many models don't match up as being competing models .

I have

convoy s2 s6 and Roche f6 and like them all.

Buy both

well my f12 desert tan came today, nice box, extra o-rings, lanyard.
the anodized exterior is perfect, just rough enough to get a grip, kind of flat primer paint feel, mine is not gold/tan color like most pics i’ve seen but a dark brown/gray/olive drab mixture.
has five mode - l/m/h and 2 disco(worthless)
nice bright white beam - rated at 900 lumens, little floody
the beam and output is exactly like my ZL sc600 mk II 900 version, if I knew they were so similar I never would have got the ZL.

Should have a 2 mode driver, switch light to low mode, when it blinks, half press the switch button for about 10 seconds, you should be in the h/m/l mode.

would this cut out the disco modes?

yes

Really? In my experience it’s the opposite. I’ve found convoys to use pills, even brass pills, whereas Roche attach their leds directly to the host for superior heat transfer. Some people also need to consider they are comparing some very old lights, (i.e Roche F8/F12) to much more modern convoy lights, those F8’s in particular have been around for a long time.

If I compare my Roche F12 to my Convoy S3, the F12 wins hand down. It has much better anodizing, knurling, AR coated Lens, thermal transfer and overall better build quality. Battery compatibility is an issue, although I wonder if the newer Roche models have since evolved from this problem.

mine wont blink when it gets to low

And suprisingly hest transfer even without the pill was worse. Does your Roche heat up quickly? Convoys are just slightly newer and some sellers have them with newer XM-L2 emitters but other than that they’re not more modern than Roches.

Just anodizing (it makes the difference) and AR lens. F8 and F12 may be discontinued, they haven’t been updated in a while and the avability gets worse. New models are F6 (appers to be slightly problematic) and not very popular M170.

I have an F8 from Banggood that doesn’t have a 2 mode driver, maybe yours is only 1 mode also.

I must admit that the S3 is not the best Convoy’s design and that F12 is not Roche’s flagship.
Even is the F8 is old, how old is the C8 from ultrafire?
The big problem with Roche M170 is the price. The driver is very nice ( I love it) but twice the price or a skyray king, it’s a big problem.
I will buy a F8 just to try but can a F8 owner tell me if the driver is held by a press fitted ring?

Have 1 from Fasttech and 1 from Banggood and both look like this, 7th picture , looks to be a screw down retaining ring to me.

why is it called a Roucher?

Because they speak chinese ......

English to them looks like chinese to you. This is probably why Keeppower has labeling issues too.

can’t decide since i got both of them :stuck_out_tongue:
overall i was very satisfied with their quality
i have Convoy C8 x2,Convoy S8 and Roche M170,Roche F22 (my favorite)

Hi Phantom, just so you know I’m not questioning you personally as I know your quoting another thread.

Yes my Roche F12 does heat up a lot faster at 1.75A than my Convoy S3 at 2.8A. That simply means the Roche F12 has a much better thermal transfer design and the heat is being drawn away from the led faster. It’s obvious at least when comparing these 2 lights in hand the F12 has a superior build, especially considering on medium mode for the S3 at 1.4A it dims quicker than the F12 at 1.75A. I know the F8 is an old model as I’ve got the original, the shadow VG10 which Roche cloned shortly after, and like a few others on this forum I’ve modded it and know its thermal potential, it’s a pocket rocket design just made for high amps.

The convoy M2 was the latest clone which came out around June 2012, about a year after the VG10, I considered buying at one point and raised a thread, until I read from another review that it uses a pill. For me 1 year is quite a big difference when considering how fast flashlight designs are improving, although that’s subjective.

I got the Convoy M2 from Simon last year and just got the Roche F8 from Banggood. Comparing the two, I would agree with the comments that the Convoy has better internal parts and Roche has a better finish.

Both were around the same price. $23.91 for the M1 and $23.82 (with the discount code) for the F8.

I am happy with both lights and it is a tough call on which one is better.

And the F8 doesn’t tail stand as nice as the M2, the M2 also has GITD which I find useful when camping, The M2 also comes as a host so you can assemble the light to your liking……should I stop now :slight_smile:

Your exuberance is expected and understandable , but to be fair to the poll and the forum at large , you must now purchase the Roche as well , and after a thorough evaluation and comparison of the relative merits of each , re-examine your vote .

Or not .

Well I finally have a Roche F6. I must say it’s a pretty and impressive flashlight. The feeling when pressing the switch, the design, the size.
I must admit that the F6 is an excellent flashlight, just it’s not hack friendly as the 2 other Roche I have, M170 and F12.