IS: Hobby 3D Printing Service

From what Ive read so far, this looks possible. I was thinking about making a long battery tube for the BTU Shocker. By completely omitting the battery carrier, it would have sufficient material for 3S3P and stacking the cells 3 long. Rework the tail cap with a larger contact plate and screw it onto the new tube. Bridge to the tail with a wire or metal rod and rework the front contact plate of the driver. I wonder if the plastic threads would hold up to the constant removal of the tail cap? If someone can CAD, I can explain the details. It seems like the fine threads of the tail cap would be the limiting factor for endurance. Any ideas?

While I don’t want to do the actual design for anyone, I’m willing to whip up some simple 3d models and convert to stl for you guys.

There are different fill options available, though none that look like a honeycomb structure that I'm aware of. I'm familiar with SolidWorks but I figured no one here would have a license in it unless they worked in that field. In which case they probably already have access to means of creating objects.

The other issue is that the print size isn't that large, with a limiting height of ~4.5" I can't really make a one piece battery carrier that large.

I visited a friend with a reprap last year and he showed me some things, in his software you could also select the fillings. There was an option to fill it with honeycombs. He had printed a dice which was kind of hollow but still very strong. But I guess full material is probably always the strongest option.

I think I am finished with two designs. If you want me to send you the shapeways files…let me know

I have seen some nylon items printed with the same model printer as yours, I presume from what you say it is not officially supported, but it would solve quite a lot of strength and durability problems.

I’m impressed and have few things in mind :smiley:
But I bet shipping cost will be higher than printing service itself :slight_smile:

I have something I’d like to try a 3D print of. Are you able to accept designs in the .ems file format?

Learn to read!!! “Please note this is not a professional service, we do not offer design services and require the STL, UP3, or UPP files.”

Chill out @$$hole

To be more clear… “Are you able to accept designs that come from the .ems file format?”

(EMS outputs to STL)

Phahaha, it’s easy to insult someone, when you have too much time. But have you ever thought of using that time for better purposes? Like learning to READ? What’s so hard to understand here? STL, UP3 or UPP?

Apparently you’re the one who cannot read because in my previous post I clarified that my question was referring to STL format, but one that had originated from an ems file.

If you have nothing productive to add to the discourse, how about not cluttering up their thread with this silliness.

It doesn’t matter realy, if it came from XXX format, while it’s in those 3 mentioned, it should work :wink:

Sure, pm them to me and I'll take a look.

Actually we expanded functionality with a 3rd party temperature controller but we haven't been getting good results with nylon, if you had any pointers we would love to hear them.

I can give it a shot.

Yes international shipping would be a bit much, especially since I would want to ship the items in boxes instead of bubble mailers.

Guys, take this outside.

Sorry can’t be much help not directly associated, but apparently it’s taulman 618 they are using which they speak very highly of. Main problem was bed material but they use plywood, thick cloth or a veneer stuck on glass, and play about with the temp. They store it in a box with cat litter. before and after use. Takes a bit of experiment I’m told to get the ‘knack’ HTH

This is sounding awesome! I know some guys have fixed up tailcap problems by cutting/shaping something of their own, but would be great to make something to fit perfect - main problem is getting the dimensions right I would think.

Tailcap assemblies/parts and battery holders are the two main usages I see for flashlights at this time, in working with plastics. Until aluminum can be supported, it will be somewhat limited for those that can't do the metal work with lathes, milling machines, or creative use of drill press's, drills, dremels, etc.

At work (Product Development dept.), we have a 3D printer on order, also a lower cost "plastics only" one. Main function will be proto-typing parts and enclosures. We use SolidWorks here, though I'm not familiar with it whatsoever...

That was more what I was aiming at. We're not trying to turn this into a professional service we offer on the website. Just a side thing we can do for our customers who have the capability to design but not print. I was thinking something simple like tailcap spacers. Solidworks is a pretty complicated software to learn.

+1 - Good though in that you got a lot of guys thinking of possibilites with this offer - it's all good. Some posts are, I believe, just thinking out loud. My work place spent 10,000's of dollars on SolidWorks training and licensing here - Yes, I know, ouch.

First print completed!

Very impressive Calvin.
I have just checked Solid Works 2014 here at work and it has the option to save as STL format.