IS: Hobby 3D Printing Service

What is it?

This could be a good contest, guess the printed product? :slight_smile:

ant trap?

Print arrived today - WOW!

What an amazing experience to see something that I designed on a computer screen, come to life in physical form.

Thanks so much for this awesome service!

If the plastic material will vaporize completely, maybe you could design a copper piece in plastic and use it similar to a lost-wax casting in jewelry making?

Pictures?

Are you able to print clear products, like a small plastic window that lets light through (not for a flashlight lens of course)?

I don't think ABS vaporizes at a temperature we would normally see.

Not exactly, people have printed out white plastic to use as diffusers though.

Our 3D printer (CubeX) is sort of a big disappoinment - 20+ hrs print time for a 2 piece enclosure - this is after a replacement print head already. Also can't use hot water to clean this stuff because close to boiling temps will melt it. We don't have ABS, just PLA I assume. Some of the issues may be our fault but the spec for tolerances on this unit seem to be exagerated too. Sounds like yours is better.

That sounds odd for the price tag and specifications on that machine. How big of a piece were you printing? Our Radiant LPM cases take altogether under 3 hours. Personally I would recommend ABS over PLA. While PLA may smell better while printing, it melts in the sun. Though ABS printing is more of an art form and getting the right settings. I don't believe the CubeX comes stock with a heated print bed, which is nearly a necessity for ABS printing.

It’s the pyramid from aliens vs predator :smiley:

PM inbound sir

Hoping to get this printed up

My 1st try at fiddle futzing with tinkercad and made this…very amateurish…but a e-cig holder for a MVP2 w/ round ecigs surrounding it

Getting tired of having a modalanch every time one of my daggum e-cigs fell over…

I corrected the design, it had a .5mm gap on the front box…fixed now

I hope it doesn’t cost alot to print…

3D printing is something I've considered looking in to. I have a few years of 3D modeling experience.

I wonder of there are any takers?

How long would it take to 3D print, in full detail, modeled from original drawings, a true-to-scale, 1938 Aeronca K airplane?

You may need to order a few semi-truck loads full of printing material

They do model aircraft printing

I bought an Anet A8 for $137…plus $50~ shipped…so a 3D printer sub $200…after a few upgrades/mods…it prints incredible!

I’ve gotten pretty good at fiddle futzing with designs in tinkercad…need to learn the other modeling software.

i would like to have something printed, what do i need for that? my long time friend is collecting, diecast cars, that he owned, in 1\43 scale, he is missing 1998 Oldsmobile aurora, and 1997 Seville sedan, me and him looked all over internet for those 2 , no company seems to make those models. i wonder if it would be possible to 3d print those, and what would it take.

i think you should try something else, because printing small detail(IMO)is very hard( my 3d printer always has trouble in printing small gear)
i know there are printers that can print those details, but the price, i think, is not cheap

Printing in high resolution requires a more expensive printer. Probably starting in the $2500 range and up. They even have metal printers now.

That said……

I use a 3D printer for hobby and commercial purposes. I’ve sold many 3D printed items and easily pay for my printers with items printed and sold.

But truth be told, if I never made a dime with them, I could never again be without a 3D printer. The things you can do with it are endless if you develop the skill to do 3D CAD modeling. Around the home I’ve made specialty knobs, replacement refrigerator parts, door handles, laundry room convenience items, nuts, bolts, pet accessories and on and on.

For this hobby I’ve made battery holders, specialty charging rigs for various odd batteries like cell phone batteries and battery storage trays.

In the garage, don’t get me started….lol….I’ve made countless tools and tool holders. Just yesterday I made a custom crankshaft seal installer tool that would have cost $89.95 from Toyota…worked perfectly.

“Could” I print a full scale airplane model? YES. But it would take a very long time and a LOT of design to combine all the pieces. “Would” I? Probably not.
But I do have an awesome high detail set of print files for an incredibly realistic Saturn V rocket WITH launch gantry that came from ThingVerse.com.

One day I’m gonna start printing that thing. :beer:

So if you haven’t already….RUN and get yourself a 3D printer! For under $500 you can get a very good dual extruder that has a print bed of about 220mm x 150mm and can print up to 6 inches in height.

I can actually print objects over two feet in length using splicing techniques :slight_smile:

PLA melts…they have guys that do lost PLA casting…it’s very cool!

Oh and there are 3D printers now sub $200
Google Anet A8, or Monoprice mini, or Fabrikator mini (smaller print bed but can print about 90% of all the stuff I print)

https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10029477/6455402-authentic-anet-a8-lcd2004-acrylic-frame-3d
boatload of 3D printers - https://www.fasttech.com/category/0/-/-/p/1?sort=p2&keywords=3d+printer
Parts n stuff - https://www.fasttech.com/category/1040/3d-printing-supplies/-/p/1?f=-

My Anet A8 will print ABS (in fact it’s all I print now…once you get it dialed in…it’s a pretty good material…stinky but strong)…I had to upgrade/mod the heat bed and wiring though…but it wasn’t that hard or expensive
A. Insulated the bed
B. Mosftet module to offload current from controller board
C. Thicker wires from power supply

i dont think anet a8 is a good choice, their plastic parts will vibrate if priting fast
2020 extrusion is a good choice, it’s cheap, too( about 5$ for 1 meter 2020 extrusion), and there is 90 degree angle corner( dont know what it’s called :person_facepalming: ), which make assembly easier and accurate

Hi guys, use 3d print for about 1 and a half years, I self-build my prusa i3 printer; I can tell you that I have found many moments of frustration, but now print the car well enough; Printing is usually slow and the material is also expensive;

Here I created a diffuser to a friend:

With a fairly transparent material;

I also designed and printed a 2x18650 battery holder with metal clips
That works very well!

If you need some designs, I can help in creating free time; I’m not great, but I try !!

I have an Anet A8, I print TONS of stuff…there are a few mods you can print that take an “ok” printer to one that rivals a $2000 printer

I got mine from gearbest a long time back it was $139 and around $50 shipped

Trust me…for less than $200 I have a printer that can hold it’s own against many of the more expensive models out there
I print at 50mm/s all day long…sure prints take a few hours…but even the most expensive ones take a while too
I modded mine and print ABS exclusively…230 on the extruder, and usually 90-95 on the bed

I speak as an owner/operator of said printer

This is a sub $200 all metal printer
https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10031659/6913802-authentic-tronxy-x3-desktop-3d-printer-kit-us