JoshK's Machine Made 'Studio Light' for the 7th Annual BLF/OL Contest (FINISHED)

Oh, is this an EDC? :person_facepalming:

It’s a studio light for photos and videos.
And a worklight for painting outdoors after dark when my daughter goes to bed.
Sorry, I should have said that. :smiley:

The two additional holes are spaced for a 40mm 12v cooling fan to blow across the board if needed. Luckily so far it doesn’t seem needed because I routed a couple wires through that area.

Super :open_mouth:
Love these ideas :wink:

And no magic smoke. :+1:
Now beam me up Jk.

Cool :cowboy_hat_face:

Beamshots!
It’s been rainy lately, but I did beamshots in the light rain anyway :smiley:
It’s pitch black in my backyard with the light off. And like daytime with it on :smiley:

Is this a cool shot or what? :smiley:

The handle is balanced perfect so I can carry it with one finger :slight_smile:

So cool!

What do the neighbors think of day at night? :smiley:

Supercool

Thumbs Up Double Thumbs Up GIF from Thumbsup GIFs

There aren’t any neighbors in the direction I point it. But as you can see in the second pic, the light does attract Matrix Sentinals. You need to shut it off before they arrive, or they do a lot of property damage :stuck_out_tongue:

If anyone’s interested in building one of these for themselves should post here or PM me.

I guess some sort of snap-on air filters on the back might go a long way to prevent the dust from clogging up the heatsink.

Blade style fans like these aren’t meant to pull air through a filter. The filter itself becomes the plug.

Nice job, very cool build and very bright too :+1: .
Looks almost market ready. When do you think I’ll be able to pick one of these up at Lowes. :wink:

Lowes? Pff. Maybe B&H Photo. :smiley:

Maybe that too. With the battery pack, looked like it fit right in the power tool section :wink: .
I would love to have one of these as a portable work light. Great job JoshK

The 4th pic looks reminiscent to a high CRI, warmer version of your profile page (lol).

Yep, my profile pic is two headlights on a tripod with E21A emitters mounted on them.
The E21A were disappointing, I sold them.

I was targeting 6500K with this build. If you noticed the numbers 6 and 8 on the COBs, that’s because I binned my collection :smiley:

Actual Spectrometer readings from this build:
From 1 meter @ 0 degrees (directly in front):
CCT: 6538
Duv: –0.0012
CRI_Grade: B- (90%)

From 1 meter @ 45 degrees:
CCT: 6198
Duv: 0.0001
CRI_Grade: B (91%)

Sweet :smiley: