Junk Chinese USB Charger Electrocutes And Kills Mother-of-two in Australia

That is a big problem as a consumer you have been taught to look for the UL markings. The Chinese (especially) have learned to create these tags and markings to put on their merchandise. Although you could by a fake at most any store nowadays I prefer to buy electrical cords and such at big name retailers versus the “Dollar” type stores because of this. Not enough consumer protection for these kind of items leading to Buyer Beware.

Check whether a UL claim is fake:

You can use the UL Online Certification Directory to:

Verify a UL Listing, Classification, or Recognition

Verify a UL Listed product use

Verify a UL Recognized component use

Verify a product safety standard

Is there a... similar database to see if a boat is certified tiger proof?

(or at least tiger resistant)

i use cheap chinese chargers.
and now i am scared

No, but you can carry a whip and a chair. Its apparently foolproof.

What about an expensive Chinese charger but with the same flaws as the cheap ones?

But seriously, what do you do when the ultra cheap dangerous ones have driven all the reasonably priced safe ones out of the market? It's just like Walmart and your local grocery stores that no longer exist. How do you show your dislike of Walmart's 'lowest price no matter the cost' strategy by shopping somewhere else, when Walmart is the only game left in town?

Well using the rules of economics, it will be an equilibrium of quality.

Yeah I know, those rules are somewhat flawed but it sets price and many other rules of society.

Do the normal rules of economics still apply when there is no other choice? Even if someone (or a lot of someones) is willing and able to pay double the price for a U.S.-made refrigerator or air conditioner, for example, it's not possible to do so when those things do not exist.

A competitor will appear to offer what it is the consumer demands that the current supplier fails to provide. If one does not there must not exist a market for it and therefore must be at equilibrium at that quality.

The fact it does not exist while demand is claimed to exist demonstrates that people will say one thing, but in fact do quite the opposite. Its easy to say I want a better fridge, but its another to pay for it. If demand was genuine, someone will fill that void.

Im just quoting the theory. I dont necessarily support its universal application. As I said, its flawed.

I’ve had a couple CFL light bulbs given to me by my local electric company fry and catch fire. Well, one caught fire and the other popped and filled the room with smoke. Two different incidents.

Guys please read this page where the author tears down a genuine and fake charger. The lack if safety with the fake is clearly evident. You’d be silly to continue using them after seeing this.

Just avoid AC powered chinese chargers. Stick to USB. Most people should have a spare USB power supply (or 5) from an old mobile phone. If not, buy a name brand one from amazon (“Ships from and sold by Amazon.com”) or similar major store. Only use UL listed AC devices, it will be built to required safety standards.

Helios;

Most USB chargers are AC and from China regardless of brand. Check the UL number for validity at the above listed link. If no UL # or makers name do not use it.

BTW how long until we start getting counterfeit USB charging flashlights with unsafe chargers? USB rechargeable flashlights are becoming more common all the time.

Of course major brand AC USB chargers are manufactured in china,

Take a look at the teardowns & analysis on Ken Shirriff’s blog.

I believe we have requested the manufacturer be flayed alive. The Chinese have countered suggesting that we can go flay ourselves. I hear that flay means something else in China.

I recently purchased this Anker 5 port 40W 8A to replace a few of these manufacturer provided USB chargers primarily to prevent something like this from occurring. Makes me wonder if this Anker is better or worse built than other USB chargers I have. It is highly rated on a few forums and Amazon’s review pages for whatever that’s worth.

Does it have a UL listed mark? UL file number search. File numbers start with an E and are found near the UL mark. See OP.

~ Edit~
Is it 40W 5-Port Turbo USB Power Adapter, Model 71AN7105? Found this listing in the UL database.

As I said earlier though the Chinese like to copy things. That includes just about everything on a product including UL numbers. My point is if they copy the true manufacturers product and use the same info as on a real item a consumer really has no idea it is fake.

I remember several years back when Canon camera’s batteries were being faked and the only way to verify was small details in the printing. The fakes had a bit of a blur in the lettering and the case color was a shade off. You needed an original to compare against or you would not know. You could have have looked up UL numbers and such all day long but it would appear real…this is my point .

That why you only buy from major retailers like amazon. They would get products direct from the manufacturer or from offical distributors.

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=1133559