Lumintop GT4

If there is a pack?

2 carriers that each carry 4 18650 cells. The carriers are in parallel while the cells are in series. So technically the second carrier is all about run time.

I have no horse in this race, just trying to help out. IDK if they will even make a 4 x SBT-90.2. Anyway…

I think it was Kawiboy who modded his Lumintop SD75 with a FET driver and 70.2 and drew over 20A @ 6v. It basically uses the same carrier design as seen below.

Pic from Roadlesstraveled

I don’t know if 20A@6v will do the same type of current damage to the carrier as 20A@12v. Maybe? I’m a little fuzzy on this.

I know he had to add bypass wires, or maybe braided copper, to the spring loaded buttons to keep from melting the springs. After that the carrier worked fine.

IF, the carrier damage is the same for both voltages, maybe Lumintop can reinforce the carrier buttons and get good reliability.

Just a thought. This is what prototypes are about, test it, see what needs improvement, etc… :partying_face:

You mean have Lumintop spot weld metal straps to the cells and glue them together in a big heat shrink tube, like an 8 cell battery pack? That would definitely handle the power, but would people want to buy it when they cant choose the cells they want, have to buy replacements from Lumintop and then you have a recharging problem. Would Lumintop need to design a built in charger? That would add even more expense.

Overall, I dont think a battery pack is such a good idea.

Thank you, I wanted to write it similar.

For the GT90, they have already a carrier with 4 batteries in parallel.

GT90

lol, I kinda saw this coming sadly.

I sold the gen 1 prototype since it was no longer truly representative of the final light and I have the 2nd gen prototype sitting here waiting to be sent to VOB once lumintop gives me the go ahead.

The GT90 is using the same basic carrier design (just 1S vs 4S) and it is handling 27A in the prototype according to VOB.

In the GT4 in 4S config the current should be about the same so if it works in the GT90, it should work in this light is my thinking.

Yeah, I pitched the idea 3+ years ago now, it is just not very high on the priority list it seems.

Going to a pack would eliminate one of the GT4 (70.2) advantages over various somewhat similar, and already available, Acebeams and Imalents. While there’s nothing like a GT4 (90.2) on the market now, if we’re talking about it, the usual suspects will probably cook up something soon.

Hmm, all this makes me wonder how difficult it would be to convert an Acebeam X60 (XM-L2 LEDs) to 3V XHP50 LEDs.

I should just probably go play with my X70.

I think X60 is 3v from the batteries, 6P. So you could convert to xhp50.2 3v pretty easily. Since it uses a rotary switch you would not easily swap a new high powered driver into place. Most likely you’d be stuck at the same amperage output.

5 x xml2 = 6500 lumen.

Assuming it really put out 6500 lumen then that’s roughly 5A to each led. That same current to a 50.2 might get 9,000 lumen output. So brighter, but probably no increase in throw distance, just a bigger hot spot.

I’d be happy with that. I have an X60vn so it’s had Vinh’s magic done to it, I forgot if output was boosted.

One thing about the X70 is the driver, if it is regulated then you will not gain that much performance with the XHP50.2 as the total power will still be limited to the same amount. So you will only gain some efficiency while loosing a lot of throw unless you also up the power.

Welp… In the groupbuy thread for the MF05, people have already mentioned with the large, deep reflector of the MF05, Astrolux should make a quad 90.2 version of the MF05. I’m afraid if Lumintop doesn’t release the gt4 soon, or at least some updates, they will miss out, and Astrolux will cease the opportunity. I just don’t understand why they put in all the work to design the gt4 just to shelve it.

it seems they do the blf gt90 over this which is weird since that thing came out of nowhere compared to this, i dont get it either, the xhp 70.2 isnt an expensive led the prototype is told to handle the heat just fine and minor tweaks was left but that was long ago ? Its like the astrolux mf03 that never happend but looked very promising of the few pics that we got too see, but now they are working on that big bazooka mf05 monster…. if u snooze for too long competitors will just throw out something bigger and better…. communication is always hard i read the blf gt groupbuy had issues with that also….

I guess the they dont put or make high priority on this light it seems… maybe they scared not many would buy it who knows? they want profit also, like the blf gt they didnt make much money it seems…

what does the gt90 cost?

We do not know yet

The GT90 is $250 GB price and expected to be $350 retail price.

loL, Opps, I did not read the post completely, just assumed he was asking about the GT4.