New Convoy C8 on sale ,hope you love it

It's aluminum. They can't be anodized or the light wouldn't work. It needs bare metal to conduct electricity.

A pill also makes focusing possible. A no-pill design might accommodate even wider mcpcb's that move the leads further out, which can be a big deal when reflectors have wide bases, although that doesn't seem to be an issue with this light.

People don't seem to know this: even the single mode AMC drivers w/o MCU have low voltage indication that kicks in way before a protected cell's protection kicks in. I use a few single mode AMC driver drop-ins as my black out lights, and they behave the same with protected and unprotected cells - when the voltage hits the driver's threshold, the output drops noticeably and the light starts to blink, and it does this for a long time. It's really hard to miss. You would have to leave them unattended for a very long time to not notice.

I have lights with anodized threads where the pill screws in, the Convoy M1 comes to mind

Yes, but that's where protection is most valuable, lighting a room during a blackout where a light may be left on and people fall asleep. By the time they wake up the Sun may be up and a dim flashlight left on, forgotten until the cell is completely drained.

I have lights with anodized threads where the pill screws in, the Convoy M1 comes to mind
[/quote]

I stand corrected. The M1 works because the battery tube butts up against the pill with a bare metal to bare metal contact. It looks like this C8 has that design too. From what I'm seeing, it uses the same threads as the battery tube, which is the same as the M1, so they wouldn't be anodized.

I stand corrected. The M1 works because the battery tube butts up against the pill with a bare metal to bare metal contact. It looks like this C8 has that design too. From what I’m seeing, it uses the same threads as the battery tube, which is the same as the M1, so they wouldn’t be anodized.

[/quote]

me confused, if its the same as the M1 then it would be anodized

[/quote]

[/quote]

No, I'm saying the threads are shared by pill and battery tube, that's all. It would be very difficult only to anodize part of the threads, so since what we can see that part of the threads are not anodized, it's very likely that none of it is anodized.

that is news good

Lol. Whatever dude.

Anodizing does not affect heat conduction one way or the other. Black anodized surfaces can have better heat radiation, but radiation, dispersion to the ambient air, only happens on the outside of the light.

yes it does, anodized aluminium has a lower thermal conduction rate then unanodized aluminium

Source? Is it testing under relevant conditions? Just like there's clearly major differences in copper/aluminum/brass when it comes to thermal conductivity, none of those differences ever seem to show up as even measurable, much less significant, in a flashlight.

i don’t have the thread handy, but i remember it being posted, the anodized aluminum had a conductivity of less then half what aluminum does, try your google fu

I think i am going to wait for the XP-L version

I used to care much about thermal conductivity ratings, until saw reality is different. Remember the "OMG, ENIG which is 0.003mm thick has a lower thermal conductivity rating than pure copper is ripping everything", then you saw the test showing at 5A basically zero effect, which makes perfect sense.

Now anodizing is thin, but it differs and will matter how the surface was finished before anodizing, but we are talking about again "thermal ratings" and for something that is 0.04mm (40microns). Yes quite thick for a coating, but is it at least 1mm? No.

I’m assuming the dielectric layer between the LED and the mcpcb is also very thin, but testing shows sinkpads/noctigons ahve much better performance then regular mcpcbs.

You might be correct and the extra surface area of a flashlight head interface means there is not much difference in heat transfer rates, but i would not accept that without testing.

This is the one place where it really matters, at the source of the heat, confined to a really small surface area.

My point is you can argue anything away, thats why i want data

Nice photographs! Usually I am not a fan of black subject on black background but these pics are inspiring.

Correct.

That layer has a rating of 0.8W/m.K to1W/m.K based on the Chinese ratings and even western companies ratings, there are like 2W/m.k but those are for sure not used in the regular boards. These layers have a thickness of 76microns to 150microns, even 229microns.

Anodizing is actually a dielectric layer.