New CREE!

umm.....I'm betting you'll end up quoted in someone's signature

why?

Because someone here said the same thing about the XML when it came out. "No practical flashlight use".

And now they are quoted in someone else's signature.

for all we know this thing could be driven to 1.5A before big drop in efficiency. $1.7 would mean....well, I have no idea what it will cost on a star - but if it is < XRE, you can bet it will get stuck in flashlights. And I'm not sure where the comment about reflectors not working is coming from - some modders de-dome emitters - and the things can use xpe optics...

i'm not ecstatic over what I've heard so far - but I have no doubt we will find a use for this emitter in this hobby...

Oh, I get it.

...Time will tell.

hoepfully they'll work at 20 - 30 ma - then we can forget the pcb and I'll stick them in my favorite mini lights that have 5mm leds in them... $1.7 sounds good to me if they're ~20 lumen?

yes, time will tell

shorter time if someone links a place to buy them :)

I just DL'd the datasheet, and the dome looks to be ~2mm diameter.

wow, so tiny. imagine trying to solder w/ no pcb

so, if the diode actually reaches the edge of the dome (which seems really strange to me) then it'd be very roughly half surface brightness of xre (more than half, since it is more effecient)?

whatever...it will be different somehow, and thus another option...nice

It looks like it uses the same technology as XP-E HEW. Chip is standard (1x1mm, but it looks a little bit smaller actually) with different (thicker) phosphor so you can't see it. Standard die size means standard emitting surface and classic beam profile from reflector. Thing is, probably it's going to have the same issue as XP-E HEW - tint shifting.

Probably a valid point.

I´m just wondering, if XM-L´s and XP-G´s are for some other purpose, what could it be since about all LED bulbs, interior use LED strips and LED work lights use all something very different than these.

LED worklights for tractor use example have those chinese generic leds in them, car interior dome lights have those SMD 5050 chips.

They are by no doubt produced in huuuuge numbers, XP-G´s & XM-L´s, but where are they exactly going if flashlight business is just a very very small minority?

Listen to the interview with the Cree Co-founder that I posted above. It is a VERY interesting interview and will give you a lot of perspective on Cree and the LED world in general, and answer most of the questions you have. You will notice, they talk about all kinds of areas that they are focusing on and where the LEDs are used and how they make them. As I said above, the word flashlight is not mentioned once.

Cree is an American company too, if you did not know.

post 6 is pretty interesting

maybe not so good for throw, but cheap floodlight?

Let's see, LED light bulbs, LED theatrical lighting, LED lights for automotive taillight replacements (look in your local autoparts dealers, they have LED retrofits for "normal" 1157 and 1156 lamps with multi LEDs), LED sign lighting, etc. I can go on and on in regard to LED's usage in lighting that I have seen just over this past year. Theatrical/Studio lighting appears to be in a huge flux, right now, while light manufacturers are changing designs every couple of months to try to take advantage of advances in the various technologies that make up such lighting, at least it seems that way from my limited perspective. One of the clients we support in our facility is a TV studio and it is about every 3 - 4 months, like clockwork, that I am getting last minute calls to come and see the latest demonstration of a potential replacement for their lighting. At the local train station I pass through everyday, they just removed their flourescent backlighting for their signs that use a translucent plastic for advertising and installed an array of bright LED's to provide the back lighting. Our own in-house electricians have retrofitted some 4' flourescent fixtures with 4' LED tubes (replacing the ballast with a driver assembly). Whether these use Cree emitters, I have no clue the companies do not release that information, but they are very bright LED's spread across the tube (3" or 4" between emitters).

So, yes there are a LOT of different uses for LED's that most people have no idea about.

Probably will check that later, if it was a whole hour long interview.

I do not doubt at all, that LEDs can be and are used in various other applications, than flashlights.

Just wondering, "where are they now", the millions XM-L´s that are not in flashlights?

Honestly, I just haven´t seen any product available for illumination other than flashlight, which states using an XM-L or even XP-G. If you happen to know stuff, I would be interested to see some links and even more interested to see how they are priced.

I did know, not a China-owned corporation.

They use these LEDs for interior illumination for houses, streetlights, billboards, etc.

Actually Cree's big contract that really got them going was the blue interior lights and dash lights in the mid 1990s Volkswagons.

Any idea, who is the maker of those huge flat and yellow "worklight" LED´s? They range from 10W to over 100W.

I bet it is not CREE?

This is interesting. I know Cree must be producing millions of XMLs and only a fraction end up in flashlights but where do they go? What specific products are using them? Every product I know of that uses LEDs has something different in it. Maybe some industrial lighting applications other than the ones Match made.

mouser lists these now - sooo cheap!

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=xb-d

I always thought of interior lighting when I think LED lighting and never really gave much attention to its use in flashlights until I finally delved further into the hobby. However, I NEVER hear XP-G, XM-L, etc in reference to applications outside of flashlights. Apparently it's just not a feature that sells so there's no reason to mention it. It's funny how differently the LED is marketed across different applications.

doesn't look like they're marketing to flashlights at all in this case - no pcb...

this emitter has got me thinking of a shower head type light. lumens/$ !!!