new lathe

Funny, I was just telling someone that I was going to have to get those things. He also suggested a quick change tool post. I wonder if Harbor freight has much of that stuff in stock in the stores. I guess I will have to plan a trip there.

I just used all my duct tape on my car.

Quick change tool post is real nice,
but there are more important priorities if you are just starting out.

The square tool posts work fine.

It's good to have you here, Unkl Ian!

Now that really is a steal..^^

I didn’t notice that you just joined Unkl Ian. Welcome to BLF and nice job jumping right in and helping me out. I hope you stick around here and enjoy it.

Yes, welcome to BLF, Unkl Ian - great first posts!

Congrats on the great find, Lang - looking forward to seeing some of your new projects once you get it up and running.

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

I’ve been a certified Tool and Die Maker for almost 25 years,
so I know a little bit about machines and machining.

Electricity, not so much. :~

Aloha and welcome to BLF Unkl Ian!

What an awesome deal, Langcjl!! I’m very happy for you! Looking forward to seeing what you make with it. :slight_smile:

Unkl Ian, welcome to BLF! Glad to have you join our little family. :slight_smile: :beer:

Congrats! Awaiting your announcement for sales of custom Mag heatsinks!

-Garry

I tried to embed it but it didn't work so here is the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GwYixJSvO4&feature=g-upl

Here is a video of the lathe running. I think I have to align the belt a little bit because it sounds like it is touching the housing. I have been cleaning alot and it's looking better. Some very fine surface rust on a lot of surfaces that I want to get off. I guess I would just sand it off with some very fine sandpaper. Lots of work to do yet.

Scotchbrite and WD40 for cleaning rust.

Mineral Spirits and paper towels for removing dried on Chinese shipping grease.

I would assume that every possible adjustment and alignment is wrong.
That means go though EVERYTHING and make sure it is correct.
Consider it a lathe shaped kit, some adjustments required.

The noise could be bearings, they get noisy if they are set too tight.

You can remove one of the gears, that drives the spindle.
To try and isolate the source of the noise.

If you are real lucky, the spindle runs on
tapered roller bearings and they are set too tight.
Back them off a little, then retighten.
there should be zero play, axial or thrust, in the spindle, and it should run quiet.

The motor will be noisy, and the Gilmer belt will make some noise.
But it is definitely not correct the way it is.

Nice score. From your original pictures it would appear to be near new. The gears being straight cut will tend to be noisy anyway. I have not spent much on tooling with mine. Most machining is done with a home made tool holder which holds square 3/8 tool steel which you can sharpen to almost any profile you care to machine and a good set of digital calipers for mearsuring. It appears you have plenty of work ahead of you looking in the background.

where on your car..??

The muffler ? bumper or on your seats ..??

These new cars ain't have vinyl seats like we had in the 70's ...

well mine does now ..in a lovely grey

Do some reckonin ' least wise while yer in the potty

To think or not to think .. that is the question ...

Hanlet

Almost time to hit some of the scrap yards for aluminum, copper and brass. Still looking for my own machines as I only have extremely limited access at work. Congrats on the find and price!

may be speed controller dead.

brushes looks ok.

if me, Ill test it with direct drive without speed controller. Anyway I can help you from my little knowledge .

sometimes direction switch (forward / reverse) may be faulty.

for missing Jaws, can mill new jaws from exiting jaw.

Looking good Lang! Can't wait to see what you create/build/mod.

Langcjl, congrats on the great score! If you download and read the manual, it should have the part numbers for the chuck jaws. I had to order a couple pieces for my HF lathe last year, it took 6 weeks for the parts to come from the factory in china. Please dont use sandpaper on your lathes ways, use oil and a nylon brush to remove the surface rust. When you get the new chuck jaws they have to be installed in a certian order and should have numbers stamped on them somewhere. I use a light coat of way oil on the sliding parts of the jaws and a little synthetic grease where the jaws contact the scroll inside the chuck.