new lathe

I came across this bandsaw last night. I have not had much time to look at it but it turns OK, looks like it just news some cleanup, new band and a motor. Im going to have to go full american restoration on this thing. Next I need to find a milling machine.

How the hell are you tripping over all these awesome deals?!? :bigsmile:

NICE find; most likely designed for cutting wood, the blade will run real fast.
It will need to be slowed down for cutting metal.

+1 on what JohnnyMac said :slight_smile:
Congratulations again man. Looking good.

you can also get/ make light duty milling attachments (vice on a stick essentially) for the compound slide of your lathe, that way you can do some seriously kickass work. It won’t be as cool as proper mill, but it’ll cost a fraction of the price, unless you happen to find one :slight_smile:

I’m currently stripping and rebuilding my own ancient lathe, it’s very satisfying!

Just got lucky a couple of times. You know what they say about blind squirrels. I still need a motor so I can control the speed with whatev pulley I use. I will have to figure that out after cleaning.

I hope you get this up and running and master it soon. Not sure where you are in WI, but it doesn’t hurt to have a guy in the area with a lathe :slight_smile:

erm, I don’t actually know what they say about blind squirrels :slight_smile: I wish some of ours had poor sight then they might leave my veggies alone.

keep us up to date about your lathe adventures. Once you get it fixed and tooled up there won’t be much you can’t do!

Just south in janesville.

Perfect!

ah! A picture is worth a thousand words :smiley:

http://books.google.ca/books?id=vyoDAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PP1&lr=&rview=1&pg=PA174&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false

Bandsaw speed reducing using pulleys.

Most of us really just know more about electrocution than electricity but there are some that keep the rest of us out of trouble(mostly). Welcome to the party Unkl Ian and congrats on the lathe Langcjl.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_1110_wood_bandsaw_conversion/index.html