New Luminus SST-20 (3535 size)

Yes, very good. Have a :beer:

What wasn’t obvious, to me, is whether it actually achieves higher intensity, which may be down to my poorly controlled testing conditions.

Koef3, I’m looking forward to your write-up!

Luminance is based on lumens per area of die size. So if you know that the SST-20 has 30% less lumens and is 50% smaller (for example), then it must have a higher intensity (luminance).

I managed to make my convoy L2 not kill my last sst20 and at 5.1A current I measured 1240 lumens and 233 kcd with stock led and dome on. Next step is to shave the dome and polish it.

That’s assuming equal polar distribution of course.
It’s only that simple if the LEDs are flat with no dome and have a perfect sinusodial distribution.
If they have a dome then it would depend.

Any update on this test? :slight_smile:

Tried to dedome one, i think it all went well… :confounded: :confounded:

Ive never seen led die separate like this from the cooling pad.

thorough dedoming job! :wink:

I think SST20 is a led that can do this. I have also one which first died in the L2 and after that I shaved the dome and sliced the dome around the die and then lifted itself.

But the die still worked. just the bond wires burned.

So I cranked up the amps and it was blue and smoking for a while and then executed completely.

nice kill led story, Zozz !

It has more lives than a cat :smiley:

Not now! :smiling_imp:

It took me awhile to work out what was going on here. To early in the morning for these sort of tricks. Transportable leds. :slight_smile:

Any updates? I have killed exactly 14 sst-20s with chemical dedoming attempts, so far no success,BUT I’m getting close tho. prolbem is the bond wires are so darn delicate. I got 3 nice looking dedomes but with broken bond wires. Waiting on 10 more to arrive from china.

i have order some leds for s2+ triple, looklike dedoming this led is much harder than sst-40

Is shaving/slicing the dome not a better option then?

I haven’t gained much for first try.
I will measure tonight my second slicing.

Sounds like they are similar to SST 40 with delicate long bond wires. I gas dedomed one SST 40 successfully but killed several others by pulling bond wires. Unfortunately I think slicing is the most reliable way. But you have to slice very close to the die to get max luminance gains. The last SST 40s I did I sliced below the level of the bond wires, but left the silicone section right around the wires. It ended up looking like in this thread . I plan to do this with some SST 20s but haven’t had the time yet.

Hi, can the silicone left around the wires be seen from the beam pattern? Especially under aspheric?
Thanks

You wouldn’t see anything with a reflector, but you would see it with an aspheric.

I put a SST-20 6500K in a Luminus AAA Tool: (right)

Apparently one Lumintop is a clone, the left has a matt finish, is around 1.5mm shorter and use an other reflector.
left: Nichia 219B, right: SST-20

left: SST-20 (Its pure white, not greenish, hotspot looks larger.) right: Nichia 219B-V1 R9050 D220 (It has in reality more yellow than rose colour.)

I know comparing high-lumens with high-CRI LED’s is not right but i had no other similar hosts.