New Mr.Lite AA = J4 now @ Lightake.com

If the head needs to be unglued for reprogramming the driver... why would they glue it in afterwards?

More to the point, why glue it in the first place? If the design requires some threaded object to be glued, there is probably something wrong with the design unless it is intended to be subjected to heavy vibration.

How are those TIR-optic-lenses mounted normally? Plug-in or glued onto the base? Only the one KC-05 batch is/was glued.. all other MrLites can be reprogrammed.(according to Richard and Daniel)

The ones I've seen are a snap fit round the LED, or just sit on top of it and are held in by the head. No doubt someone somewhere has glued them.

I definitely agree on this one. On my Trustfire R5-A3 I can hardly tell the difference between the medium and high modes. I would recommend (1)Moonlight 1.5 lumens, (2)Low 6 lumens, (3)Medium 70 lumens (4)Maximum 180+ lumens. Additionally, I think it's extremely important for the moonlight mode to come first, so the flashlight can power on with a very low battery. So I would recommend lowest -> highest mode order.

We don't know yet if this has PWM or current regulation, do we? I would suspect the latter, because they measured an extremely low 4ma draw on the moonlight mode.

So "TIR" and "collimating lens" are the same thing? Vectrex mentioned that he really disliked collimating lenses, why would that be?

Mostly because I have seen beamshots of collimating lenses with very narrow beam angle, that had absolutely no sidespill. I think if there is only a bright hotspot, it has very limiting usefulness. We will have to wait for some reviews - narrow/wide - glued/unglued....

It does have remarkably thick walls - this looks like one you could drive a car over and still have it usable afterwards. Looks like anyone so inclined could bore it out for a 17500, maybe an 18500. There is a faint suggestion of an internal sleeve which might mean 17/18500s would already fit. But this may just be an optical illusion. This should be a substantial light - around the same diameter as a C cell (25mm to the 23mm of this light.)

Alternative bodies for the battery of choice would also be appealing.

A nice thing about Mrlite is that they design their lights to be tailstandable. So it's not by coincidence or subject to manufacturing variation, but rather a conscience design decision.

The light has a diameter of 23mm. But look at my posts and following and also at the specs. I'm pretty sure 2 of the 3 pics show a 123 light.

I don't know about moonlight first. It's nice for a light to useful in an emergency, but it's prolly nicer that it's useful in the general case. If the first mode is not one I'm going to use, then I have to mode change every time.

TIR is just internally refracted lens. They can in theory create all sorts of beams. Collimating means throw, which is only a subset of what they can do.

I've finally seen what you mentioned. It did take several times looking at them to see the difference you mentioned.

This wouldn't surprise me as MrLite tends to make their lights for 18650, CR123 and AA - possibly the J4, J5 and J6

It would be nice if we could cheaply (as in $5 or less) get the different body tubes.

Just count the knurling diamonds in longitudinal direction. Yeah, it is hard to see, maybe having an old CRT 19" helps in this case.

I wonder if they can also use a nicer anodizing shade. Mr.Light should take a look at the solarforce's natural silver. Everyone who's seen it has loved it; makes the light look expensive.

If Richard of MrLite is reading this thread.. he must think ... "I just ignore them... I will never satisfy all of those individual needs" ...

So glass or plastic lens? I've never seen glass lens with this shape.

"Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating" is what the description says.

I highly doubt that.

Very often they simply copy&paste similar description, with some modifications.

Well I guess we will have to wait for the review. I will keep my fingers crossed because I already bought one. Live and learn.

Looks like you are elected to do the review then. Good luck with it.