Nichia 219B's galore! Guess what type of light.

after looking more closely at the photo these look like the much cheaper 119s’ in cool white. Probably not worth the time to salvage for flashlight use.
we will have to wait for photos of the underside of the LED and that circuit board, ( along with light color photos) from Flashpilot, but fo rnow i am going to say these are the mass-produced cheaper 119s in a not-so-good-tint cool white.

Hmmmm a little over skeptical I guess.. these light fixtures are about standard right now. 1000s of them. And yes, I know how much they cost OVERSEAS! The 119A for example can be had for $1 even in small amounts.

In amount of a handful expensive, but Japanese factories that produce these lights, I assume, can get them for a few cents. They need a whole reel for just 25-30 of these light fixtures.

These light fixtures aren't extremely expensive, but go for about $75 up to $400+

And these led types are (getting) really standard..

Well, they are definitely from a light. :bigsmile: You guys are good, and some have come close in guessing which type of lighting application… but not quite. :smiley:

The fixture is $1100 each when purchased in bulk quantity through commercial lighting contractors.

Emitters nvsw219bt-v1

Code: sw50/d300/lm/r70

Great deductions Bort Boaz. :bigsmile: With losses through the wide area flood lens, measured total lumens is 24479 absolute photometry @ 238.9 watts consumed through 120VAC mains. Thats 102.5 lumens per watt OTF. The drivers operate at a power factor of 1.0 (measured through my kill-o-watt meter) so its very efficient in converting energy. This light contains 2 drivers.

The emitters are around 5K and each is driven @700mah for 320 lm each. The Nichia product catalog is also of interest and shows shows 153 lm/W efficiency.

Check out how logical and thoughtful the good folks at Nichia arrange their catalogs/data sheets. :bigsmile: These are the best presented emitter references that Ive come across yet.

The light is mostly a massive heavy chunk of aluminum.

Another hint: the light was designed to operate in environments with ambient temperatures up to 65C/149F but has also been spotted operating in sub freezing environments. I think they probably went with Nichia at the time to meet the high maintenance certifications at the higher temperatures; whereas the XP-G2 has paled by comparison.

Did you really need to post that link here? Id love to own a powerful high quality magnifier. But man, the price. I might have to find a good used one and do the TP nichia mod.

The light is a radial configuration and contains 4 mcpcb’s, with each mounting 28 emitters.

219B’s. Great deductions and a good eye, sir.

Sooooo, what could a light like this be intended for? Many hints throughout! :stuck_out_tongue: …and no, Im not going to harvest the emitters!

Edit: the title was changed to be more accurately representative. The first one was just to lead you guys astray. :smiley:

I am being channeled in ways i never realized :stuck_out_tongue:

Looking again, I just might need to go ahead and splurge. What an awesome work of art that would get much use at my bench.

That video says it only has 48 of the LED emitters and not 112 though. ( at 0:32 seconds into the video)
Also If that cost $ 1100.00 dollars they are not going to get my money for a LED magnifier that i already have and paid only 70 bucks for and does what i need it to do.

Sw50 r70? :~
The only reason we love nichias is for the 45k Neutral High CRI that cree doesn’t have. 219 and 219b has become shorthand for sw45 r85.

I don’t think power factor directly relates to something being “very efficient in converting energy”, actually. I’m sure someone will correct me if necessary, but my understanding was that pieces of equipment with a power factor lower than 1.0 caused reduced efficiency upstream (eg for the power company), but were not themselves inefficient. Maybe I’m being a little pedantic, but based on my understanding the PSU’s efficiency is a whole different ball of wax.

As far as what you’re going to do with the thing… I figure you must have something you need to light up on the other side of a solid wall. :stuck_out_tongue:

Can you link to what you are using?

I didn’t go check the numbers, but FlashPilot did point out that the Nichias were apparently used for their higher lumen maintenance for high temperature operation…

Anyone notice the 2014 2nd revision of NICHIA’s catalog that the 119B-V1 and 219B-V1 LED seems to have a slight update? Looks like they have a slightly lower Vf and a higher Ra rating for the high CRI 119/219B at 90-93 instead of 85-92.

Power Factor (PF)

Im sure you probably went digging for an explanation (just as I did). For tech heads (such as yourself), you might understand all the relationships and explanations described in this wiki.
_
I rather enjoyed this one, which to me makes a whole lot more sense.
snip-
Understanding Power Factor

In an AC circuit, power is used most efficiently when the current is aligned with the voltage.

However, most equipment tend to draw current with a delay, misaligning it with the voltage. What this means is more current is being drawn to deliver the necessary amount of power to run the equipment. And the more an equipment draws current with a delay, the less efficient the equipment is.

Power factor is a way of measuring how efficiently electrical power is being used within a facility’s electrical system, by taking a look at the relationship of the components of electric power in an AC circuit. These components are referred to as Real Power, Reactive Power and Apparent Power:

• Real power (kW) — the work-producing power that is used to actually run the equipment
  • Reactive power (kVAr) — the non-work producing power that is required to magnetize and start up equipment
  • Apparent power (kVA) — the combination of real power and reactive power

There’s more on the next pages of the link.

The simple explanation is that Nichias last a whole lot longer. For close comparative purposes, a Cree chromaticity group “1A” type lighting is the standard for this particular type of lighting, where bright white is far more desirable for its high contrast than high CRI or lower K tint. Especially considering the type of lighting these are replacing, and in mass quantities… more huge hints. :bigsmile:

i bought it 5 years ago at a cheaper price: http://www.staples.ca/en/Catalina-Lighting-Vision-Max-Swing-Arm-Magnifier-Lamp-22W-Black/product_802639_2-CA_1_20001

Guys, it was a streetlight from the get-go, i’m surprised no one has guessed it sooner.

(if by some odd freak of nature I am wrong, I apologize for sounding like a major ass)

I actually don’t have the chops to deliver much else on this subject… the simple explanation you show pictures/text from seems like it could be an oversimplification to me. I don’t know for certain that it is, but I will point out that Wikipedia does not appear to discuss PF in those terms and that WP seems to match how PF was originally explained to me. Unfortunately I just don’t have a deep enough enough knowledge of AC stuff to do more than spout what I’m told! It was a pedantic thing for me to bring up in the first place. We can all agree that having a power factor of 1 is a good thing.

Thanks! And you’re pretty happy with it? (Sorry if I’m repeating this question from some other thread!)

works fine for what i need it for.

Oh no, you’re wrong! But since this is a first time, you’re still in good standing.

I was hoping you’d read the darn wiki and provide a sensible simplified explanation for the rest of us. :wink: Yes… a PF of one is a good thing. Several of the chinese drivers Ive tested show a PF of .65 The only other AC LED driver Ive tested to provide a PF of 1 was with the Meanwell/Bridgelux combo

I’ll guess a airplane hanger light.

At that high lumen count and since you said they are buying a large amount of them and they want them for the brightness and stability/reliability at temperature extremes, it can possibly be hi-bay lights for a large warehouse or factory building.

A big flood light..