Nichia E17A/E21A Skilhunt H04RC Group Buy

Wow just watching this groupbuy happen is so dramatic and suspensful, first I was really bummed to miss out on such a custom gem, but now I see how much careful tinkering goes into it and I am almost happy I missed out because I wouldn’t dare touching this beauty without wearing silk gloves :stuck_out_tongue:

So if we want the new lens solution, we just PayPal you an additional $3.70, correct?

Yes, but please hold on until I fully tested the new optic. Should be here in 1-2 days.

[Clemence]

Will the new optic affect the measurements in your e17A/e21a reference thread?

I used white reflective tube without reflector nor lenses. The beam/tint shots made partially integrated

Well, I’m definitely going for the more expensive optics.
It’s just a small bump in price imho for what is going to be my best flashlight.

Received the optic. Only thicker O-ring (for these Gaggiones) left to search now.

Contrary to my prediction, with this Gaggione, color mixing is better with E21A, perhaps because it’s floodier (bigger die) by nature. Almost 100% perfect mixing (to eyes) achieved for anything up to 3000K CCT difference. But for extreme cases such as 2000K+6500K wider lens is still needed, which I didn’t ordered. But, the color separation of extreme 2000K/6500K is only noticeable on white wall at very close distance. Normal uses won’t show it

The success key of Gaggione is how they distribute the focal point in spiraling arrangement. So the hot spots are more evenly distributed, not just diffused

[Clemence]

good news. So how should I pay the extra $$ to get these for my 2 lights?

Man, you have to love the dedication Clemence is showing with this

Nice photo btw.

Looks like a work of art :+1:

Will it make any difference for non-mixed LEDs?

I think I ordered the 3500K straight and the amount is cheap so I’m curious if there’s any advantage to picking up the lens? Is it just more flood?

Clemence; Testing both the LLC22M and LLC22W is there a difference in output between them?

I am also curious about this. I ordered a 2700k version and would like to see if the nonmixed leds look as nice as the mixed leds. If it does i dont mind paying the extra for the lens if there are no downsides.

OK, here’s the report:

Only STD 70° lens tested, the 20° and 45° are significantly worse.

Remember above test were done using the very extreme case of 2x sm203 D160 R9050 and 2x sm653 D240 R9080. The pictured color separation is so obvious because the CCT difference and the flux output for each group are too extreme. 4500K CCT difference and 55lm output difference per LED. Those with closer CCT and flux mix should be fine.

E17A module is strongly preferred for those with color mixing order. The lens base of Gaggione LLC22M and LLC22W are too small to cover quadtrix E21A LES resulting in poor light collection (lower OTF efficiency).

LEFT = STD Skilhunt H04 optic, RIGH = Gaggione LLC22x

E17A module

E21A module

The significant benefit of using E21A is just the lower voltage, means slightly longer regulated runtime. Output difference is too small for naked eyes to see at this mild power level

Below is the output of E17A vs E21A modules
5000K E17A R9080:

- LED output at highest mode (65°C, 2000mA) = 630,5lm

- LED output after stepped down from highest mode (65°C, 800mA) = 280,9lm

- LED voltage at highest mode (65°C, 2000mA) = 2,9875V

• LED voltage after stepped down from highest mode (65°C, 800mA) = 2,8225V

5000K E21A R9080:

- LED output at highest mode (65°C, 2000mA) = 695,5lm

- LED output after stepped down from highest mode (65°C, 800mA) = 296,2lm

- LED voltage at highest mode (65°C, 2000mA) = 2,8525lm

• LED voltage after stepped down from highest mode (65°C, 800mA) = 2,705V

[Clemence]

Thanks for the report, order updated accordingly.

Would 1x2000K, 3x3000K benefit much from the new optic?

Seeing is believing. Will post the pic later after I finished replacing those mixed E21A. For now I can only say this Gags beats the OEM optics hands down for color mixing. But does little to those single color (no mix). Stick with E21A module and stock 20°/45°/70° lens if you only need single color.

[Clemence]

Here’s the O-ring. Sorry for low quality pic, took this with my phone

I could only find this red high temperature silicone O-ring (softer than NBR70). Ideally it should be transparent but this is what I could quickly find. The lens aperture is 15mm, the bezel bore is 16mm, so the O-ring does NOT blocks the optic’s output surface.

The Gags will be trimmed as below.
LEFT = Gag’s OEM, RIGHT = the injection gate trimmed to fit H04R

Upgrade cost for one lens set:
1x trimmed Gagione LLC22M/LLC22W = $3,7
1x silicone O-ring (14mm x 1,5mm) = $0,3
1x Paypal fee ($0,3 + 4,5%) = $0,48
———————————————————————- +
TOTAL = $4,48

Or adjust accordingly if you want for example: 2 lenses + 1 O-ring, 2 lenses + 2 O-rings, etc….

Make a note in the Gsheet and Paypal the money to: clemenceronald@gmail.com

NOTE: I described all the details to this optic/lens upgrade. Just scroll up and check earlier posts. If you think this is too expensive then you can get/make it yourself.

[Clemence]

Gsheet updated, please review.

[Clemence]

updated with 2 sets of Gagione optics.

Appreciate your efforts, Clemence!