NiteCore EA8 & EA8W

nice beam shot… i wonder if my ea4 xml2 is about on par with the ea4 as far as “turbo” mode goes

Nice comparisment betwee the two lights.
Ordered a EA4 at fasttech and don’t know if I will buy the EA8 too since I have a SR90 and T60CS for throw and power too.
Maybe a second one for emergency cases or power outages, 22 hours on 4 AA’s with a bucket of lithium L91 blisters and you’re good to go!

Been playing with my EA8 u2 for a couple of days now.I also have the TK41 u2.The EA8 is bit shorter and more compact than the Fenix.The lower low is very useful and it appears to be just a bit brighter, with a more defined hotspot than the Fenix on high.At a lower price and with no battery carrier I would have to recommend the EA8 over the TK41.Now if the EA4 was re-released with the same low and the XM-l2 T63C…I would have to order one of those as well!-Rick

RAW74: Ahhh, now I really have to get one….

Have to wait for next paycheck though, have just bought 2 flashlights and a Zotac mini-pc for a total of $310…

The problem with the EA8 is that I have to buy Eneloops for another $29, but I really like my EA4 so it will def be worth it… :slight_smile:

I would like to see a picture of the EA8 standing next to a TK41 so I can compare the size.

yes +1 picture side by side and if you can or somebody else long range exterior beam shots comparison will be very nice to see, because i like the two flashlights and i want to know what is the best , thank you.

There you go…
If you need another angle of the 2 lights to compare, let me know, i try take for you… but only average quality photo on my iphone, no camera.

Light size… http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y101/icopulate/IMG_1942.jpg

Box size … http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y101/icopulate/IMG_1939.jpg

Against other lights… http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y101/icopulate/IMG_1947.jpg

Bty, FF stl-v6 throw is also about this ea8?

Size is great, performance is great, neutral white tint is great, UI is great.
But… That rubber button sucks and is already showing how fast it deteriorates with use among EA4 users.

What a shame. That’s how it is possibile to achieve big fail in small details.

Thank Cop. That is what I was looking for. Looks to be 1 to 2 inches shorter.

Since you own both, how do they compere? Which throws better? Which would you pick and why? Thanks again.

i havent read any issues with the buttons yet, besides nitpickey too small

This is fail:

And this is fail too:

how is it a fail? I happen to love mine as well as many other BLF members

Not really a fail, read this: Do I need to trash my AA batteries in Nitecore EA4

Oh well, let me be clear: I have one too and love it too. It’s great, and it’s the light I’ve been waiting for SO long as far as features go.

But… have you seen the pictures? The inflated button? The consumed button?

Clearer still: that button is going to crack sooner or later, that flimsy rubber button is the weak spot of the light. And when it happens, no more light to love.

Can you still ask “how is it a fail” in the detail? Hell, it won’t even be waterproof anymore as soon as an invisible crack makes its way side to side.
I’m SO sad they went that way while designing it, as the EA4 is GREAT in every other department. If they only put the same button as the EC25! :frowning:

They will probably probably address this issue in the next redesign. The rubber feels fine now on mine, but I can definitely see it getting ripped during rough use, or after a long time.

Most likely they do not expect it to be an issue until after the warranty period is up I guess.

Or it would be nice if there was simply a way to replace the switch cover.

From a flashaholic/user perspective, every light I come across, I instantly see things that I would love to see improved on. I'm sure most people here are the same way.

Unfortunately manufacturers also have to take the reality of mass production and material costs into consideration. It's a lot cheaper to use a semi transparent rubber button cover, instead of designing a solid plastic one, or building in a separate display mechanism.

You guys got me worried about the button and I rushed in to have a look at mine. Don’t know if they changed the button on my XM-L2 or if I just got a good one, but I can’t see a thing wrong with mine. I guess if I ever start having problem, I could simply put a little dab of black silicone on it. Might even make it better. A little larger and easier to find.

Although I already have a tk41, I’m still really tempted by one of these.

Me too. I’m really sick.

I haven't had any issues with my button. but then again I'm very careful not to use my fingernail to depress it. Is it possible that could be causing it to fail?

he was referring to the person that had it puff up because of gas the cells vented… that will happen when you have an air tight seal, something needs to give.
the rubber switch boot is probably the weak link to the light, but im not too worried about mine failing anytime soon