No Internationally shipped Li Ion battery anymore?

As long as the batteries are packaged to meet safety rules , they should get through ..

Sellers who do not package to meet safety regulations will have the package returned ...

It is right move by post office to start screening lithium batteries. I wish they come out a special envelop and regulation for shipping batteries at the end. Definitely I don’t want someone get killed in tragedy due to batteries I order. But now I am not sure can I still get batteries I want a few months later.

or maybe if they make new, $1 lipo bags just for shipping batteries ! :stuck_out_tongue:

We best get to crackin’ those laptop packs open! :wink: No problem shipping those, right?

Ironically, that’s where the actual fires are happening. A local company, doing business in more than 40 countries, have been caught improperly shipping pallets of new and used laptop packs. At least one fire has been attributed to their shipments.

Can’t imagine that we have to order a bunch of cheap flashlights in the future, maybe one Ultrafire lights contain one 18650 battery inside, so when you want to order 10 18650 you got to order 10 Ultrafires flashlights as well. :stuck_out_tongue:

To me it’s quite ridiculous to say that putting lithium batteries inside a device like flashlight would be safer than putting them inside a battery case like what FT always do. If a lithium battery goes explode it explode. I doubt if they have done any research on the material strength of the flashlight/any other devices body whether it is safer to handle the explosion of the lithium battery, or better explosion-proof, really?

Hmm… how about cellphone and laptop battery? Numerous cellphone explosion cases are happening around the world, so do they forbid shipping cellphones, laptops as well?

the cost of the plastic holder is probably closer to 5 cents, the rest is overhead and profit

I think the problem is not that simple. Firstly there are faulty products being sold from that are hazardous. Then there are inadequate packaging. Aswell as terrible handling of packages during shipping. Probably atleast some sort of priceing shenanagains. Political pressures from foreign and/or domestic sources.

Any of these things is enough to cause problems, start adding them togeather and they get a lot worse. Things are going to have to change sooner or later though the demand is high enough.
Also shipping batteries in lights is a terrible idea, there is nowhere for the pressure to go if the battery vents making them even more dangerous.

+1. That case is cheap. Maybe not 5c cheap, but definitely not $1.50… I’m thinking probably 10 cents each, but nevertheless…

If this goes on for some time, probably they’ll come up with some new standards for Li-ion shipment - e.g non-flammable casing material instead of plastic.

That Lipo bag might do the trick… it’s non-flammable fiberglass.

Probably all future Li-ion shipment must be sent separately and it is mandatory to use a $1.50 fiberglass bag - how does this sound? Not too bad I think, and it keeps airplanes safer. You also get to keep the fiberglass bag as battery case.

usually they don’t think about these things when they invent regulations, they go for simple and blanket coverage, which can often interfere with actual better approaches or cause unintended side effects.

Imagine these are lithium!

Grrrr, ordered 4 packs of liions on saturday, still hoping to get the order shipped email :frowning:

If only they were, it looks like he could do with a good dose of it himself too! This may also explain how come some of our lights arrive in less-than-desirable condition.

It was a mixed order of stuff and included a pair of protected batteries.

Lucky you :slight_smile:

I have a proposition regarding this potential device:

to keep the cost to a minimum, it should be made of plastic

for the same reason it's functionality should be kept as simple as possible, in fact let the only function of this device be holding batteries

in order for this device to be functional (i.e. to hold batteries, as per it's only function), it needs to have the batteries inside it, therefore it is battery operated

there, now can I have my batteries kthxbai

Even something like this battery box would be fine. Normal price is $4, but I’m sure that with a 4 battery order they could just throw it in with the order, add $2 to the cost of the batteries ($0.50 additional cost each), and come out just fine.

http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10003990/1286603-diy-234-x-18650-batteries-holder-case-box-mobile-p

I’d rather they didn’t ship in disguise cases just to get through the scanning stage. It seems so wasteful.

I suppose the danger of contacting postal unions (or regulating bodies) worldwide could result in scanning both ends in more countries if they don’t want to ship dangerous materials.

I got three packages from Wallbuys today. Four Panasonic 18650B protected and two Sanyo UR18650FM protected(I ordered unprotected). I thought they were goners. Must of slipped through just before the ban.

I got a notice from FT saying they tried to ship my batteries via ChinaPost, but they were returned. My PayPal has been credited.

No doubt they will find a backdoor. IMHO not the batteries are the most dangerous goods on the plane, but its internal electronics, bare chemicals, and so on.
If something is leaking fluid, it will also contaminate the plane itself… I think the cargo bay isn’t hermetically sealed away from the electronics on the plane.