Nominate Best AAA Pocket Flashlight

I agree with this. I have 2 in copper and one in aluminium all running 10440s.

The 348 is great though as a super cheap but bright one mode light.

Member Coppet from Germany did two counts on the above votes:

A. Taking into account only the first light mentioned in each post:

The top five is:

1. Lumintop Tool 25 votings incl. ReyLight Tool
2. Ultratac K18 10 votings
3. BLF 348 and Astrolux/Manker A01 both 6 votings
4. Olight IE3 and Tank 007 E09 both 5 votings
5. Hugsby XP1 with 4 votings

B. Taking into account up to three lights per vote. First one gets three points, second two points and third one point:

1. Lumintop Tool 86 points
2. BLF-348 and SingFire-348 43 points
3. Astrolux/Manker A01 36 points
4. Ultratac K18 30 points
5. Tank 007 E09 22 points
6. Olight I3E 17 points
7. Hugsby XP1 12 points
8. Maratac AAA 10 points
9. ThruNite Ti 6 points
10. Fenix E05 5 points
11. Peak Eiger 4 points
3 points: Eagletec D25, Fenix LD01, Thorfire PF03, Brass Art1, Lumintop Worm.
2 points: DQG, 47 PreonII
1 point: SS5039

Many thanks to him for taking the time. :beer:

1. Thrunite TiS is my go-to keychain EDC AAA light.
2. Fenix E05.
3. Tank 007 E09.

Hi,
isn’t this going to kill the driver on the long run? Tried 10440 with my copper tool and it works, but fear frying the driver…
K.

Lumintop says AAA no 10440, so is it or isn’t it?

Two issues come to mind, no protection on the 10440, and too hot if used for more than 30 seconds or so on high, which seems common to all lights this small when used with a 10440.

people do use 10440 in Tools, without frying the driver, 10440 is not supported officially for more reasons than just the possible loss of the boost driver

both
It is possible to use 10440, and it isn’t officially supported because the driver is not rated for the voltage, there is no overdischarge protection, and no thermal protection. The Tool also is not regulated to produce the same lumen levels on each mode, on LiIon as on Primaries

you can use protected cells, some people do not use protected cells, the operator takes responsibility for not overdischarging
there is no thermal protection, that is the responsibility of the operator

the titanium Tool on 10440 becomes HiMode only

Would like to know how long can the Copper Tool run on high with 10440 before it gets too hot to hold as I’m also looking to test the 10440 on my AAA lights?

EDIT:
Which 10440 and charger do you use?
TIA

EDIT 2
Seems someone already answered my question before I asked lol

Here the top 5 from the other “Best AAA 2016” thread started by GB

1. Lumintop Tool (all editions): 37 votes
2. Astrolux A01/Manker E01: 33
3. Jetbeam Jet-u:19
4. BLF/Singfire 348: 8
5. Ultratac K18 and Olight I3s: 5

It is strange the Jetbeam Jet-u has not even been mentioned in the present thread…

I think any small AAA light with a 10440 on high has about a minute before it gets a bit hot. People should keep in mind by the time the outside is hot, the inside is a lot hotter. When I use my i3s on high with a 10440 I shift back and forth between high and med, and treat high like a turbo mode.

And heat cycling is one of the “accelerated aging” test procedures to push cells to fail

I use the efest 10440, in…hmm. It’s that small Xtar charger. I forget the model.

And I run the Tool on high no more than about 80 seconds. Probably could go 10-15 seconds longer safely but I don’t like to risk it. And in any case on medium it seems fine for much longer. It gets warm but not hot. I don’t typically use a small light for all that long. But even after 5 minutes it was fine.

Re- Li-Ion in AAA Lights.

Just my Penny’s worth.

I seem to recall reading somewhere on this site that sometimes 10440 usage can make the Driver unusable to AAA’s after prolonged usage. So it’s a one-way trip if you do.

I had something similar happen in one of my first lights, a AA Hugsby, worked fine on AA, then on Li-Ion 4.2V, but then not on AA batteries afterwards.

Could be why Lumintop tool not recommended for 10440 use?

Thanks for all the info.

Cheers,
S-L :slight_smile:

It can knacker the boost drive that ups the voltage of a 1.2 volt battery, so after that it needs higher voltage 10440 or it just won’t work

@DW911,

Many Thanks for the proper Technical Jargon, and Good explanation!

That makes sense to me.

Cheers,
S-L :slight_smile:

that kind of makes sense when looking at the lumens… 10440 medium and Alkaline High are close to the same lumens

I respect that people use their lights in different ways and settings.
For my personal needs I dont want to use 10440 in a Tool, because I would lose the normal low and medium modes, which are what I use the most.

If someone wants to run a Tool on 10440 and still have the option for a low and medium below 40 lumens, look at the ToolVn
note that a 10440 will only run for a total of about 10 minutes on high, but it will definitely be bright!

this is not what Ive been reading from others who actually do it.
but anyway, if someone is invested in a charger, meter, and the skills to operate 10440, its their choice, they are intentionally not choosing to use Primary batteries… so for them, going “back” is not a priority. In fact the ToolVn is LiIon ONLY.

the question for me is, do I need hundreds of lumens for a few seconds at a time? no, personally I dont… If I did need hundreds of lumes, I would use a battery that would last longer, in a light that did not get too hot to hold… YMMV

fwiw Here are some of my favorite AAA legos, my edc, a backup, and a backup to the backup… I also have a backup to the back… welll…… you get the idea :_

fwiw, here are the best prices I know of today, and this might be a one day sale, for a Tool w Nichia

$21 for a Copper Tool w Nichia (MLH modes)
code CopperNY

$25 for a TiTool w Nichia (MLH modes)
code TTINY

for more info about the pros and cons of Copper vs Titanium Tools
https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/39928

and regarding 10440 in a TiTool
https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/43128

^ thanks for the codes for the 2 Lumintops.

Just placed an order for the TiTool.
My 1st flashlight order for 2017, and maybe many more to come :smiley:

Danm, I can’t pass up $21 for the Nichia Cu version. My XP-G2 one is working great w/10440 and I have an empty pocket on a new hoody.

Lumintop Tool is great flashlight, for something cheaper with memory i like jetbeam Jet-μ.

Me also, ordered just in time, price is back up to $59!

Same here, I also tried to resist the Titanium version at $25…but failed!