[PART 1] Official BLF GT Group Buy thread. Group buy officially closed! Lights shipping.

They are a nice fit for a big light, thats why all the other king throwers out there use them.

You can get more max throw with smaller LED’s but at the cost of lumens and beam size.

I would much prefer a light with 5-10% less total throw but 2-3x the beam size and lumens. This appears to be about the results that Dale gets from an XP-L HI to XHP35.

That is a very worthwhile tradeoff IMO.

add me for 3 pieces .

Maybe you should create a different thread for Interest , easier for you.

I found a led spotlight with 140mm alumnium reflector, so at least the reflector exists somewhere :slight_smile:

^

You mean, at least 2 exist as the one I proposed should be a top contender performance wise.

Looking forward to learning more about this 140mm reflector. It looks potentially awesome. I like that it appears to be shallower than the 128mm I proposed.

I think I am in!

No comment on the UI, as long as it is developed by fellow BLF members then I’m cool with it.

I’d prefer it runs with overdriven XHP35 HI emitter, or come as a multi-emitter hybrid thrower (like the TN40, TM16GT, TK75… etc.).

When you are talking about running with 4 batteries, I hope it is 4S1P with buck regulation so that we can achieve almost flat output at Turbo mode, which cannot be achieved with parallel batteries in a high lumens output flashlight as the low input voltage simply cannot hold up for the high Vf. To me it is pointless to have 8000 lumens of output at start-up but dropping like a rock in just 3 minutes.

The driver is TBD at this point.

I hope to be able to run some tests shortly to see how an XHP35 handles an FET driver with the duty cycle turned down some to limit current.

If this works this is the most likely option simply due to cost. An FET based driver would cost $3-4 in bulk from china at most. The Texas buck on the other hand would most likely cost at least 4 times that.

So the testing is hoping to see if the final benefits from the buck are worth that kind of cost increase.

If an FET driver is used, it is possible we could add a multiplier to the duty cycle output based on battery voltage. Thus allowing it to ramp the duty up to maintain max output for as long as possible. With the XHP35, it would be able to drop a fair amount of voltage before dropping output if this was made to work. The nice thing is it would also work in other modes giving them a “regulated feel”.

If it is possible to buy this, only mods will do the rest. Is it available elsewhere?

Hi, even though this ist my first post - I am in, too.
Thanx,
Max

I did similar tests with my L6 and FET+1. Less efficient compared to buck.

I see where you come from.

We can expect this light will probably cost somewhere around $150 to $200 - Let’s just say it is $150, so with the adding of buck driver it may probably increase the price to $165 or $170, which I think is still acceptable.

You are going to pay a premium for a light like this anyway, why not spend a little more to make it even more perfect (more efficient, regulated and flat output at max). :wink:

Just my opinion tho.

Yeah, I know it will be less efficient, the question is how much less? Did you get any numbers?

The other issue is that the XHP70 can handle a FET at max power and live, the XHP35 will fry if you try the same thing, so you have to limit current somehow.

A buck driver is best naturally but would easily add $10-20 to the cost of the light and since many want to swap to XP-L’s anyways it seems like a waste to have that driver unless it is needed.

Plus if cell carriers were used the same FET driver could be used for everything from 1s to 4s.

Actually the goal price is $100 and it is possible it could even be cheaper then that. Over $100 and the number of sales would drop significantly and thus make it much harder to get made at all.

Although from early pricing numbers it looks like the retail cost of a buck driver capable of handling what we would want it to would be upwards of $10-20 easy.

Now if we went with a pre-made driver that was only for the XHP35 then it would be a lot cheaper but would also not have narsil or be open source.

Welcome to BLF!
Will update OP later (easy to have it in one topic then two)

Good find Djozz!

Yeah 4S2P for lots of voltage and runtime

Indeed we are thinking at 77-100 nie, but well first form/shape and then LED
When that is clear we can do a rough calculation and set a fair BLF price.

Oh missed your remark about driver TA, yeah Narsil is a must!

[quote=Texas_Ace]

[quote=Flashy Mike]

Sorry, no, I didn’t write down the numbers. But if I remember right, it matched the efficiency values in the datasheet for the peak current (when FET is on).

In for one.

In for one.

Goal price should be 45$, extending to 65$.

For 150 you should build your own light because noone else will buy it… we allready have lights with those retarded pricea available in every store.

$150 is most certainly WELL above the goal price. Although $45 is simply not practical sadly. $75 is a more reasonable cheap side goal with $100 being the max.

Ok I didn’t know that the goal price point is $100 or below, which make this deal even more attractive to me.