[PART 1] Official BLF GT Group Buy thread. Group buy officially closed! Lights shipping.

Yeah we simply do not know what a good price will be.
When form format and LED are chosen we can make a rough calculation and set a price goal as we did with the Q8.

If the diameter reflector is 120mm, what to depth should be ??? Can someone who understands reflectors explain or make a sketch curve of the reflector.
I need this information because I start work on developing (visual) 3D models of the flashlight.
When I have the dimensions of the reflector, then I can access making the visual appearance of the host.

There’s no preference yet for a shallower or deeper reflector. The throw will be the same if the diameter is the same. A deeper reflector will have narrower spill and bigger hotspot of same kcd. But it will make the light longer.

An often used ratio in flashlights is that the depth of the reflector is slightly less than the diameter (example: C8 reflector depth=30mm diameter=38mm). That should be a starting point for the BLF milli/Mega/Giga thrower.

Millithrower? Is that the keychain-size version of the Gigathrower? Takes 8x 10180 cells? :stuck_out_tongue:

Not really. The deeper reflector cuts power from the spill and inserts it into the hotspot. So the throw will be more powerful. This is more of a usability discussion, people want spill so they can orient themselves around the hotspot without being blinded. Too small of a spill will create an unpractical light. That is where the C8 will help, those proportions are good for most people. However since large reflectors are really scarse this is not that much important, price and throw is more important then spill angle.

In for one

I’m in for one.

Basically that ^

I would put a rough guess that for a 120mm reflector the depth will be around 100mm give or take 10mm.

That said I am going to guess that we end up having to get a custom made reflector so we could size it to whatever we want. So far there have not been any good pre-made reflector options pop up.

I personally much prefer deeper reflectors but on a light this size that would make it much larger and I doubt it is worth the extra size and weight.

Something wrong with illuminations machines reflector that was posted?

The 120mm one?

Mostly cost and complexity of getting them sent to china as it is a US made reflector from what I gather?

In general sending anything to china for any reason is a non-starter for most manufactures. It adds a LOT of cost and can generally be made cheaper in china.

Makes sense

Here is an old thread on CPF of a commercial LED spotlight, we may get design ideas from it. Notice the size of the reflector!!! :sunglasses:

I’m in for one!

Will update OP later!

Good find, I send an email to the seller of that 140mm monster Djozz has found but no response
CPF is loading soo slow now but will check it out, thanks

Cant wait to see what you’re going to make. Looking at those awesome renders from the Q8 all I can say is that you are far more capable than me in designing 3D stuf.

What program do you use?

Not so. A deeper reflector of same diameter will have a shorter focal length and thus produces a larger hotspot. It just so turns out that the increased amount of light going to the hotspot is compensated by the increased hotspot size and the brightness stays the same. And so the hotspot brightness (throw) is solely determined by the reflector diameter, how deep it is has hardly any effect on throw.

Oh yeah, count me in for this one!
And did I miss the target price somewhere?

I’m in for one

Very disappointed in you TA. Do you have any idea what this reflector will cost? I sure don't. Have you even considered the performance characteristics of the reflector (both color and cd per lumen)? Do you not want even one American made component that is of high quality included in this build? When in the last time something of quality from the USA has been included in a product here? I will be the first to consider something not USA made, but this product is something special and is a great price. Last time I negotiated with the folks at IM, I got them down to 15USD/unit for just 100 units. Maybe we can still acheive that price and even get better if we can promise a bigger order. That negotiation was years ago, but for a the highest quality reflector in the size I'm aware of, I want to know more. Don't you?

Or, is this a issue with the messenger? I'm not asking to be the middle man and I have no connection to IM. So, please, someone else step in and give these guys a fair shake.

Geez, you guys. Nail down the reflector and then move on to the other stuff. This is about throw, right?

Much respect to you djozz, but shape of the reflector and reflectivity of the reflective materials used and care of application are the primary contributors to what you speak of. I agree with the member you reply to above.

Do you have a link to this reflector ImA4Wheelr? I would like to check it out! I was getting SD75 smooth reflectors from Lumintop for $20.00 shipped, they where excellent! Members that were contacted thru PM felt they were too expensive, so it got shut down, but I got my 2! :wink: