[PART 1] Official BLF GT Group Buy thread. Group buy officially closed! Lights shipping.

This is what I had in mind… I circled in yellow the places where change would need to be made, also you would not need that screw in or out led pill, maybe the whole center section could be made out of solid copper… :sunglasses:

When i have time, i mean when i’m bored enough… …or just enthusiastic i’ll incorporate that in the next version.
I’t look nice IRL with a solid knurdled lock ring. :sunglasses:
I see you removed the rim too that stops it screwing further on.
The whole bunch of the head can move towards the battery tube too, since it’s apparently possible to produce trimmed versions of the Q8 head.
This eliminates the need for a tall pill.
The MCPCB then can maybe sit on the shelf like in the Q8.

I haven’t seen / read the final solution for centring the LED / reflector yet iirc.

So i assume this will be made in ThorFire factory also, like the Q8?
Can they not source a 120mm reflector somewhere? Or is the search for that already over and done?

I’m in but depending on final price

Im in if all goes well.

…aaaand another drawing:

Focusable head with lock ring.
Centring is not solved yet (at least, not in the drawing)

We have no idea who will be making this at this point. We have yet to find a manufacture.

We have been waiting till we have a reasonable idea of what we want so it would be easier to pitch to them.

Looks great Jerommel…!!! :+1: :beer:

I think the lock ring needs a stop at the back so it doesn’t jam into the center component look at the yellow circles in the pic

Give a retro-reference in the title of the thing…

1.21 Gigathrower (if you don’t get it, you’re too young!) lol

Jerommel, that design looks even better. Locking ring on the outside would be very practical and brings another idea to mind: what if this light would also have a easy to remove pill, so you could opt for various emitters that use roughly the same voltage and current?

1) XP-L HI for reasonable beam and good output
2) XP G2 or Oslon Black Flat for unusable but very enjoyable tight beam and max throw
3) Any other Led in the same voltage category but with dome for max output and still very good throw
4) etc

Just me 2 cents……

Grtz
Nico

Tailcap switch, right guys?
Lets not make the Courui D01 mistake again in our lives.

Will we be allowed to use parts of the Q8 design when not using Thorfire as manufacturer?

Let’s see how well the Q8 progress goes before asking Thorfire :wink:

Yes tail switch and side switch.

Like the idea of outside ring to adjust focus of reflector.

Jerommel, this head will need serious rework anyways compared to the Q8. That head design is true BLF design and thus property of us all, we can change adapt and do whatever we want with it :smiley:

In the latest drawing i suppose you could swap the MCPCB, but that’s needs soldering of course.
There’s also still the centring that needs to be figured out.
Adjustable focus does not make that any simpler.

How about a plastic centering jig with screwdriver holes on the sides to correctly center the led before tightening the screws to the the MPCB, I’ll share a drawing in the afternoon

The issue I have with an outside retaining ring is well, it is outside the light and easily knocked loose during use. Even when installing the battery cap it could loose and then throw out all the hard focusing work. I personally think the retaining ring should be enclosed as it will never need to be accessed unless modding the light and could only hurt things by having it easily assessable.

Otherwise the design looks good.

I think for the best result the LED has to be centred in the reflector opening.
Centring the LED in the head of the main tube will not centre the reflector.

This seems to be the obvious way to ensure centring without high cost:

But this makes a focusable head quite a challenge…

This is why as long as the head CAN move to match the focus (should not need more then 1/4” of adjustability I would think, say 1/2” to be safe) that simply having some extra thick centering rings sold with the light that can be sanded down to the exact height might be the simplest idea.

The rings should not cost more then a few cents for a dozen of them to go with the light if made in bulk.

It is not as fancy but eliminates the centering issues.

I have not been able to think of any other options for centering the reflector to the LED besides the classic rings.

This was mentioned earlier but someone said that even the exact position that the LED get reflowed to can effect the focus enough to matter. I guess it makes sense when talking about this level of precision.

This is still my preferred method (or something like it). It is easy to adjust, effective and stable once sealed up.