[PART 1] Official BLF GT Group Buy thread. Group buy officially closed! Lights shipping.

As you said yourself earlier, the LED has to be on the exact centre of the MCPCB, the MCPCB has to be in the exact centre on the pill.
This is all solved with a regular type centring ring, but then you can not focus it anymore, or hardly…
Unless we can come up with a springy centring ring somehow, but i think TA is right when he says a couple of different centring rings with various thicknesses should be included.
But then i see little point in an adjustable head.
Hmmm…
Tough one…

What if the pill or LED mount was intentionally drilled slightly off center? This would make it relatively easy to move the LED itself by rotating the pill.

Djozz, i like your good old analogue plotter though. :smiley:

What’s the need for a pill anyway?
I don’t thing we need a pill actually.

3 centering rings with different depth and the problem is solved effectively and most important of all - cheaply.

On to the next questions. :innocent:

The head needs to be adjustable in order to be able to take up the slack of the centering rings.

The D01’s I built for example had to have several mm of metal taken off the base of the head to get the reflector low enough to properly focus. That was a royal pain.

If it simply had the ability to adjust the height and then lock it into place things would have been 5x simpler.

As a mentioned earlier: Convoy L2/L6 heads are built like this, not too difficult.

An extended version of that design would work, there is not enough adjustment to truly focus the reflectors in the L2/L6 as they come stock. Also you can only push the reflector up, you can not push it down, which is what we generally want.

I think that 2 mm wil be enough. (in terms of focusing 2mm is a lot)
Most MCPCB are of the same thickness, and the base of the leds are mostly the same too. So only the difference in focus caused by the dome will have to be tuned out.

IIRC only the MT-G2 and or XHP50/70 leds require to be inside the reflector to get it properly focused. (or to git rid of any donut hole)
Most other leds only require a minimum amount of play to get it focused.
Obviously, I’m not dale, djozz or any other awesome modder so I could have it wrong…

Wont work. You’ll never get in the centerline of the reflector. Even if you do, you can’t adjust it or you’r out of alignment.
Or if you have both the pill and led mounted off center*, then you’ll have some adjustment room. But that would be way to unpractical.

*at least 2 pieces needs to be off center in order to get full range of adjustment.

2mm is enough for most situations but on that D01 I mentioned I had to take off over 2mm and it was reasonably well focused to start with. Better to play it safe with 5mm IMO. Once we figure out what part should move and which should not it is really just a matter of an extra thread or 2 anyways.

I am interested, please add me in — Proto looks like a winner,

Add me please .

I made my own aluminum pressed in pills 8mm thick for the 10-12 Courui’s I have built for people/myself and raised the shelf 1.5mm and it was more than enough. With a 32mm pocket for the 32mm Noctigon XP board it pretty much covers the (thrower) emitters to be used.

Now if the GT is designed/engineered and manufactured correctly around the target LED do you really need that much adjustment? If you need more press wouldn’t a stripped down mcpcb board suffice for your other mods you might want to do?

Man, one of those pills would have made my life way easier.

My biggest question is why not have a bit more adjustment range? Better to have too much and not need it then too little and have to start grinding down the light.

I doubt very much someone is going to take 1-5mm off a 120mm
reflector to tune it! :smiley:

I wouldn’t do it to either of my TN42’s

I would not want to either, which is why I would like the adjustment built in. In the D01 I had no other choice as I did not have the ability to get the reflector down lower any other way.

Although I should clarify, I was talking about the head where the reflector mates to, thus allowing it to be further inset.

Then raise the mcpcb, if you need to clamp the reflector to the base or board basic modding 101? Unless I’m misunderstanding the basic’s?

Raising the MCPCB is easier said then done. It is much easier in the case of the D01 to simple sand down the base of the head so it can screw down further then to try to raise the mcpcb with no tools past a drill press and belt sander.

Like I said, what is the problem with having the head/reflector be easily adjustable by about 5mm, I do not see any downsides?

Please add me to the list!

Cheers

I am interested in this flashlight :+1: . Write me in the list