POOF! Just another 2D Mag Mod - or is it? -CREE MT-G EasyWhite DOA!

I am encouraged from the voltage readings on the battery pack I made. Being as it's 10 batteries - 2 stacks of 5 in series, I thought there might be some difference in the two stacks (especially since I am using copper solder tabs).

I measured the voltage on each pack and they read 7.09VDC and 7.06VDC, so I figure that is close enough. I am surprised at the high reading, even at rest, since these measurements are 48 hours after charge and 24 hours sitting in 40 degree weather.

When I decided to use the eneloops, it was with batteries I have had for several months, but only been used 3 or 4 times. I went ahead and did a complete full discharge and full charge with my charger. I figured they would read about 6.5vdc, so the charger must have pushed them to at least 1.5vdc each. Also I am assuming that the copper tabs must be creating very little resistance (which I hoped for), with that high of a reading. This is with my new meter that my wife bought (from my Amazon wish list) and from all the checks I have done with it, it is a good meter.

Oh, if anyone wants to get something off my wish list for me, the email addy is jvint.............. Sorry, got carried away there.Tongue Out

Carry on.

3 of the AA eneloops that I bought from Costco 2 weeks ago and have not been charged yet measure 1.33 each

my bc-700 brings my nimh over 1.41 - 1.45 volts. someday i'll try draining ~50mah and measuring again.

anyway, I am looking forward to seeing how this works out. I'd like to see more mods with the 6V and 12V Crees. They open up some possibilities, from multi-AA, to car/boat/camper stuff...

dare to be different

All I have to say is, whoever thinks they can bore out a Maglite with a brake hone is either Stupid or Crazy!

I am Both of those, but it doesn't help. Do Not, I repeat, Do Not try this at home!

What a pain in the Arse. What a Flop! It is Cheaper to go buy a pre-bored 2D body! Cheaper!

I have spent over 6 hours and about $40 in hones and replacement stones today, and I have managed to get about one third of the way. It is just not worth it.

I hate Aluminum! I would rather work with copper. At least copper can be cut, sanded and ground. This Aluminum barrel is impossible.

I'm going to do a video just to warn people of the dangers of trying to hone the I.D. of a 2D!

Don't try it!Yell

I just had to vent LaughingWink

And my !@#$! DX parts are still sitting in HK!

Carry on people......

i can imagine why - all i have to do is look at my grinding wheel...all plugged up w/ aluminum

i should note...be cautious if you grind steel and aluminum at the same grinder, especially if you use water to cool your work - just look up thermite, then think about the pile of rust and aluminum powder that you're throwing sparks on. It did start a nasty fire on me once...now a fire extinguisher lives next to my grinder.

so, back on topic. I use a dowel w/ a slot in it and 600 grit to polish rifle chambers after cutting - do you think a dowel w/ some (lots of) 36 grit sandpaper could do the boring job on a mag?

edit: btw, thanks, i was definitely going to try what you did...

Can you get away with 6AA batteries if so then this would be perfect..

is it just me or does that thing actually have 8AA in it?

I've been meaning to buy 3xAA holders from KD but after seeing that pic I think I'll build my own 9xAA for my 3D mag

After trying this, I would say that the only thing more useless than this is sandpaper. I know that you can go to (Forgive Me in Advance) CPF and Jesus Hernandez does triple or quad boring for $25, if you send him the host. Believe me, it’s worth it.

The Hone #10000, is $16 in Oreileys Auto Parts. The extra stones #10050, are $5 for each set of 3. Lisle is the brand name, the other brands suck. I am on the second hone (first one was not a Lisle) and the 5th set of stones. Plus, you have to go real slow, with a slow speed drill, since aluminum does not like grinding at all. If you can't bore it, have it bored. It is worth the headache!

I am sure someone here does or can do boring on a Lathe.

I’m shooting for 6V and I imagine that CPF guy (MODCOD?, FiveMega?) or whoever could just about make any holder you want. I thought about him and others, but I wanted to “Do it myself” You know that is the Second most used phrase, just behind “Hey Y’all watch this!” Neither one works out well…Smile

I will finish it with the method I have started with, because I am stubborn and it's my right to be an obstinate ass! Ha.... I just had to bitch about it. Hey it isn't fun if you can't complain about it...

Thanks for the warning Old-Lumens.

I have been contemplating doing this and now won't. I wonder if this is something that has been suggested so many times (based on the fact the brake hone will fit) that it has become accepted as a workable method despite no-one actually trying it.

I will keep watching this thread for updates!

I think it’s like a lot of these so called workable fixes. One person does it and says it works, so all of a sudden it’s good. That’s why I tried it. I had to find out and now I know that it works if there is no other recourse.

If, if, if... you could find a larger hone, with bigger stones, that would fit in the barrel, then it would be easier. I looked at small cylinder hones, but the minimum is 1-1/2 inches. The Mag is like 1-3/8 or so. It would not work. If I could find stones that were 60 grit, it would be easier, but all I find are 180 or 240 grit and they are way too fine for grinding a lot of metal quickly.

The first hone I bought was a cheapie (power-something) and it fell apart. The Lisle is ok, but it's just too little too late, so to speak.

As I say, if you really want to "Do it yourself" then the hone is about the only way I know. The ball type hones would not give an even surface, so the pad style are about it.

Boring is for the patient and rich: those who can wait for shipping and can afford it. Same with lathes... it galls me when parties on CPF show off lathe cutting photos, doing mods that I'll never be able to.

I run Mag C's on 26650 batteries... I make the damn things fit-I strip off the wrapper and they settle right in with that little sucking sound. I do hard mods, but I draw the line with metalwork; never did like working with metal.

Old Lumens! You and I are spiritual brothers! We do things alike and I bitch and moan too! <g>

Rich

well, I've learned something about hones, too. I have a 2hp johnson outboard that needs the cylinder done. Where'd you get the lisle?

Lisle and Stones Do a google search for it. Lisle 10000 and 10050. O’rielys Auto Parts was where I went, but I ended up ordering more stones from Amazon - free ship.

thanks - saves me some time...figured you had shopped around

DX Order cam in today!

It still shows outbound, but it is here.

If I only had a HeatSink, that wasn't lost in the mail..... or something.....Wink Just playin X

Also I'm still waiting for more stones to come in.

Photos added in the first post, showing the reflector issues.

Lost in the mail ?

More like held hostage - you DID break my lathe, after all....

I am in no way responsible for the condition of the equipment, nor the knowledge of the operator. Tongue Out

I'm stickin to that...Wink

Added more photos in the first post.

USPS says you should receive the heatsinks tomorrow. I asked that they take their sweet time.