POOF! Just another 2D Mag Mod - or is it? -CREE MT-G EasyWhite DOA!

Most likely the MailMan will throw the package over the fence, killing the neighbors dog and causing the police to hold the package as evidence.Tongue Out

Chicago X, you should change your name to Mayhem.Smile

All I know is, if that heatsink don't turn into a suitcase when I rub it, I ain't usin it!

Thanks for getting it out to me, considering the circumstances you have had to deal with, I am very grateful.Wink

Added the video on honing out the body. In the first post.

a vid on how u made that copper ring would be awesome......nice job on this Old-Lumens

New photos in the first post, at the bottom of the post. All my parts are here now......... except the Teflon coated wire, which should be here next week. I knew this was going to be a 2012 build. Hope I get it done before the 21st. of December, 2012.........

I'm glad everything landed in good order. I wish you had mentioned the need for teflon wire, as I have a surplus.

I'm a little OCD, as you can likely tell by the packaging.

Chicago packs like I do! What do you plan to do with that Deft lens? I'm guessing that "smoothie" will be a thower.

I wasn’t planning on using it for the smoothie. It was a “loaner of sorts” to see what I think of that type of lens. I do not think that the smoothie would work with it, due to the fact that I am so close to the emitter, from the end of the body, but I will play with it and possibly use it or possibly not. I’m not a thrower kind of guy, but if this were to be put in a sleeve that went over the end of the body, then it could be adjustable. (say zoomie)

Chicago - I guess I will have to start going to your store first.

I'm a little OCD and a little of 20 other abbreviated issues, meaning I'm Nuckin Futs.

Thanks again for the stuff. That heatsink did turn into a suitcase when I rubbed it!!

Finally got my wire todayLaughing. 5' each of 14ga, 16ga, 18ga and 20ga, silver plated, stranded copper wire, teflon coated.

Now I can finish this Build! It will be done this week! With beam shots of course!

Maybe, but I would have missed all that fun using a hone!Tongue Out Not...

I wonder what the ID was of the old ones and why they switched?

I just need to find a rich benefactorMoney Mouth to provide a lathe and end mill, Ha!

POOF! Blew out four dies on the emitter!

Details later.

Sad to hear that, that's the reason your avatar has changed?

Holy Amps, Batman !!!

Sorry to hear, after all of your work. Was the tint in the beamshot the precursor to "angry blue" before self-immolation ?

So here's the rest of the story. Stupid mistake as usual... FrownWell more than one...Embarassed

The light worked fine, a little blue, but that was only for a few seconds. Of course the initial testing was done on the pack that had been sitting for a month. Testing was ok and I played with it for a while. Then you saw the last photo of the charger?Tongue Out

Yes, the Tenergy "Universal Smart Charger". I think not smart enough. It's supposed to be a 2.4V to 9V charger, but it's not selectable. It's supposed to be smart enough to cut the charge. Well I have my doubts. It charged that pack in about 1 hour! Ok, so I was going to take the light to work. Unplug the charger (showed green for full charge), then I just turned the light on. (I know better, I really do)Undecided. Before I could turn it back off, woah, bright light, pffft! Blew out about half the chips, melted the wires in the die...SurprisedCryCryYell

There's a reason for regulation. I just have to try to remember that.

Well, at leats it worked, but at $20 a pop, I won't be making another MT-G. Hell if it can't take a couple volts over recommended, it's just not worth it's salt!Tongue Out

Anyone want a 2D bored out host with a 5s/2p battery pack, heat sink and SST-50 reflector in it (and a charger).Innocent

At least I got the emitter for the Copper Smoothie today and at least that light is regulated, so maybe I will finish a mod this week yet!

Darn, man, I'm really sorry about that :( It's an excellent mod. Hope you can finish it and post some more beam shots :P

At this point I don't plan on putting another MT-G in it. I really did not find a good driver that would take 5-8v input and give out 6v at 4A. At least I haven't found one unless maybe one of the really expensive programmable ones that run about $40-50. I want to go ahead and use the battery pack, so the best I can think of is possibly one of those 5 or 6 cree drop ins and let it go at that. Not as nice a mod, but about the cheapest way out of it. I think they take like 5-12v for input, but I haven't looked lately.

I'm pretty much locked into using the pack, since I made the end cap for recharging use.

Funny thing is that the MT-G really wasn't much brighter than an XM-L and I wasn't all that satisfied with the beam. Reminded me of a P7 beam with the funky cross in it, probably because of so many chips on that thing.

I need some more wire, and those are good sizes. Where'd you order?

Ebay, search for teflon wire, it varies as to what the different sellers have. Then contact the seller and tell them what you want. They usually will sell what you want.

Possibly I could go with a board like this one

With 3 XM-L U2's and reflectors like these

At least it's not a drop in, but I would have to change the barttery wiring to 10S for the voltage to the board, just two wires to change.

??

sorry to hear about the blown emitter :(

One thing I learned about NiMh packs from a guy who knows waaaaay more about it than me, is that you can discharge NiMh in parallel (like what you're doing) but you can't charge them in parallel. Something to do with the deltaV signal that NiMh smart chargers use being masked by the fact that it's shared across 2 banks of cells. At least that's how I understand it. Over time the pack becomes unbalanced with one side getting overcharged and the other undercharged. I think that's why the old NiMh bike light packs used larger cells to get higher capacity (4/3AA, C cells etc) rather than parallel packs.

Might not help much with this LED, but something to look into before you rebuild it.