Powergenix Ni-Zn Batteries

Your Fenix LD10 should be just fine on one of these cells. It would not have modes if you supply more than 3V. I'm not sure exactly where the cutoff is, but I know that a 4.2V li-ion won't have modes, but a 3.0V CR123A will. It must be just above 3V where the modes are lost.

I was interested in finding out how NiZm batteries were supposed to be charge - constant current, constant voltage or something else.

From Wiki -

"Charging

NiZn technology is well suited for fast recharge cycling as optimum charge rates of C or C/2 are preferred [9].

Known charging regimes include constant current of C or C/2 to cell voltage = 1.9V. Maximum charge time is 2½ hours. Trickle charging is not recommended as recombination is not provided for and excess hydrogen will eventually vent adversely affecting battery cycle life. Charge is reinitiated after cell voltage has fallen below 1.6V"

So it seems that not treating them mean enough is bad for them :P

Well I did get mine today as well. I sure was worried I had got ripped off but everthing is ok now!

Mine has been on the charger for about 4 hours now and the indicator LED's on the charger are still red. The batteries are just above room temp so I think everything is ok.

I figured the 1.6v cell would be fine in my LD10 or a LD20 for that matter since a standard alkaline is about 1.6v but who knows.

Wow I should have read up before I bought the 4 hour charger!!

um i would be VERY careful what you put these batteries into.

they are 1.84V fully charged (all 4 batteries measured the exact same voltage)

this could damage some electronics if they use 2 or more!

however i cannot wait to try them in a flashlight. unfortunately, i only have a FEW options.

my BLF flashlight (which unlike other peoples still works 100% perfect) and an old mini-mag.... found a lightbulb for it too lol

will test run times versus a few items that i have

Ikea AA Alkaline

Utilitech AA Alkaline

Energizer AA Ni-MH (2 different capacities)

Sanyo AA Ni-Mh (not eneloop)

considering im off for the week im hoping to have some time to run the tests.

all Ni-MH batteries will receive a full charge on a Tenergy Smart Charger. (the energizer 15 min charger is not to my liking, and seems to have been pulled off the shelf.... interesting, dont u think?)

the NiZn batteries have received a full charge on their respective charger

also, as promised ill be running a photo shoot this week of ALL my current flashlights so you can compare

BLF flashlight

Custom XM-L

Custom R5 (x2)

501d w/ Manafont R5 drop in

T8 triple Q5

Maglight 3D Luxeon (old model)

Stanley 2M Spotlight

Olight t25-R5

Modded Aurora P7-C

Ocean State Job Lot 8.99 "1 watt" 3xAAA

Ocean State Job lot 8.99 "3 Watt" 2xC

DX 501b w/ "luxeon" blue led (turned out to be a cree lol)

DX 501b w/ luxeon green

unfortunately i SOLD all my R5-A3's, so i plan on purchased another 1 or 2. i loved that flashlight for the money, but made a profit selling them USED :-D

cant complain.

if i find other lights i own, i will have a shot of them all. on high at the same framerate with a black shot to compare.

sorry for thread jacking :-)

Well I tried mine in my LD10, C3SS and Eastward J09 (I was reluctant to try it in the Eastward but I hate the 3 modes anyway)

The LD10 still has all the modes and is visibly brighter than with NiMh and draws about 950mA.

The C3SS is only a little bit brighter and draws about 1.9A

The Eastward is AMAZINGLY brighter and draws almost 5 amps so I don't think it would last long

I would have tried them in my Ultrafire K10 but the boost circuit on it got fried minutes after I received it with NiMh. I think the driver was faulty out of the package. I have already ordered the parts to fix it now I just have to wait a month to get the parts from HK.

I don't have a way to do a proper run time but I guess tomorrow during my waking hours I'll just let the C3SS run and see how long it will last and I'll check the current ever so often just to see what it is.

I will say I think I do like the extra voltage and most LED torches should be fine with it but as stated by xP.1337 in his post above fresh off the charger these are quite hot at 1.8 volts so be careful with them!!

Interesting - I seem to see nothing but good reports about Eneloops. Got any links?

Cheers

Well I started my run time test using my C3SS and PowerGenix battery and after just 7 minutes the light is almost uncomfortable to hold. It would just get slightly warm off NiMh. I put a fan on it for the remainder of the test. I will check current in 30 minutes just to satisfy my curiosity but I will have to shut the light down for a short period to do that but it shouldn't hurt anything.

Well time got away from me quickly on this one. 50 minutes has passed and the light looked as if it was just a little brighter than low mode. I turned it off and back on and it would not fire up.

The cell voltage was at .925 when I removed it from the light.

I'm gonna run a 2300mah Energizer NiMh down in it now and see how it does.

Remember these are new batteries even the Energizer. I charged the Energizer for the second time about 2 days ago.

Ok 30 minutes into the NiMh test the current draw is at 1.76A and the light is getting a little dimmer.

I felt the light about 10 minutes into the test I thought it didn't get that warm a NiMh but my memory had failed me it was quite warm but not nearly as warm as the 1.6V PowerGenix cell.

Well I got about 56 minutes out of the Energizer 2300mah NiMh before I noticed the light being dimly lit.

These are the best batteries I own so I don't know how these would stack up to a good 2000mah Eneloop but I will say for now that I really like the extra voltage of the PowerGenix.

a 6 min difference seems negligable to have a higher voltage. a win in my view

i never tested mine. im too lazy lol

also i dont have links to the eneloop complaints. but alot of them revolved around charging and storage issues if i remember correctly

oh and cost. rediculously expensive

I have 20 of these in AA and the PowerGenix charger. I use them exclusively for my DSLR camera. No complaints, seems to work great for me.

Can you be more specific? Eneloops charge just the same as any other NiMH, and as far as storage goes, they hold their charge a lot longer than other cells. I can't imagine what the complaints could be!

Cheers

cant be any more specific. just do some digging, you got google too lol

I suspect that it's possible the Eneloop problems may just stem from a 1/10000 sort of problem, but because they are a brand that sells very well, we hear about it.

I've certainly no complaints about mine. They behave a lot better than any other LSD cells I have though the Camelions I got cheap look promising so far. But they've seen no real-world use, just testing.

I suspect a lot of problems complained about with Eneloops are down to outright abuse. Sanyo says not to charge them above 950mA. Many people charge them at several amps. This will not improve their longevity.

Overcharging and overdischarging are bad for all sorts of cells. NiMH cells have a small amount of water in them, necessary for the chemistry to function. If this gets removed by cooking them with overcharging or too high rate discharging for too long then they will work much less well.

Probably more cells are killed by overcharging than any other sort of misuse.

In regards to eneloops...

You all know the saying.... "Given enough monkeys and enough typewriters, over time...."

Well, the internet sure isn't at a loss for monkeys and keyboards, so I'm never surprised when I read a random bad review of a good product. Considering that of the millions of eneloops out there in use, we see a thread documenting roughly thirty folks who've had issues. Based on that, it doesn't take a masters in statistics to figure out that Sanyo has achieved a six sigma product....

Hmm, thought so - when you said you had read A LOT of bad things about them, it got my interest, that's all.

Now, if that had been Energizers you were talking about, (possibly the worst NiMH on the planet) I would have understood!

Cheers

Ok...back on topic. I was at the local discount store (Big Lots), and lo and behold what do I see? Powergenix....a whole rack of em.

Someone was even nice enough to write a little note on the package! They had two types: One with a white charger, and one with a black charger....only thing I could discern was the the charge rate: White = 2hr, Black = 3-4hr. They also had 8-packs of cells for $8. At this price I think it's worth a shot....