Q8 Dual footprint, quad LED copper DTP LEDboard interest List

Sorry to hear the sad news.

I’m sorry for your loss. Take your time!

Really sorry to hear the bad news. Stay strong.

Thanks all of you! It was hard after more than 15 years. We were sitting in the Vets waiting room and to calm my little bugger down i was petting him and suddenly he stopped breathing. I know that there was a real chance that the Vet had to put him down, but i had hoped that he did not have to suffer and could sleep away. But enough of that.

Sundy from Kerui Electronic has answered. The engineer fee for DTP orders with less than 500USD are 150USD.
The idea to get Banggood into the boat is great. But we should get the layout ready and all technical questions solved before we contact them.
If i am not wrong most people would like the XM and XHP pad combination.

Yeah I’m interested in using the xhp50.2s. Whatever else is just extra for me.

am I right it would be possible to setup any led configuration with this board: 4S, 4P, 2S2P ?
Already have boost driver with Vin=3…4.2V and Vout=9-12V so interested in 2S2P XHP50(.2) with 6V footprint or 4P XHP50(.2) with 12V footprint

If we get the Texas_Ace layout, then “Yes”. Not only that, but each one could be individually addressed, for a RGBW light, or whatever.

Correct, it was setup to allow for any possible layout you could want by simply changing the jumper positions.

As far as the setup specs for banggood, I could tweak the design but honestly they will just have to redo it anyways. The existing design should be plenty to let them figure out what we want so they can make it in their software of choice.

Now the technical specs are not hard but will require some measurements from the prototype Q8’s. Such as the exact LED spacing, size and thickness of the mcpcb ect. We might want to go a little thicker on the mcpcb since we won’t be able to screw it down with the existing holes as that would interfere with the LED pads. So a thicker mcpcb would ensure that we get some positive pressure from the reflector.

The traces could hopefully be 2oz copper and as beefy as possible.

Someone with a Q8 would need to look at the ability to run the wire to the outside of the mcpcb, not sure if it has a groove machined into the reflector or not. If not then we could add another hole around the outside of the mcpcb and then simply drill a hole through the shelf to acsess it if needed.

It has a nice area for wires around the center base.
Can’t the two wires not be attached near the center?

I think we should try to get the layout changed so if possible no extra drilling is needed. Keep in mind that if people have to drill in their light . . . many of the possible customers will not buy it. It will be less interesting for most of the people if it is to much work or to much tools are needed. And we have to sell (give Banggood a good chance by using a easy to install board) a lot of boards to make this a good deal for them.

I agree. If this board is to be made for the Q8, then it should be made to fit in the Q8 properly in every detail. The downside to that is that it won’t work in other lights. But the Q8 is the new king right now.

Im interested in the XHP pattern as well.

It is possible you could use one of the stock mcpcb mounting holes to run the wire but if you could do that, then you could also use the hole to mount the reflector and that would be wiser.

People will have to drill a hole in the tailcap to mount the pcb anyways unless thorfire was to release a series setup tailcap (which would be cool to go along with the mcpcb). So drill one more in the shelf should not be a big deal. 2 basic holes with a basic drill. Pretty simple mod really.

If someone wants to use the XM pads (SST-40 for example) he can do this without doing anything else to the light. Only if you want to go 6V you need to work on the tailcap. But then you also have to change the driver. So a full mod that would cost way more than the light itself.
But i think many people are happy if they can upgrade to a new 3V led without doing drilling.
At the moment there are many discussions because people do not have a soldering iron or they can not solder to do the battery boob job.
And you want to get ~250 boards sold that require drilling holes in your light. Ok maybe i am wrong but i see there the one or another problem coming up.

Agree max compability is smart
Led wires soldered to pads near the center is best IMHO

In order to move the ground wire closer to the center you will sacrifice the trace width. Also with the larger 7070 pads I am not sure it will work at all with 1210 jumpers, you might have to step down to 1206 which has more resistance. lastly it will reduce the number of options you have to setup the LED’s in, they will not longer be individually addressable (well at least one won’t anyways) and the ground will be fixed to a single LED pad.

A lot of downsides to not drill a simple hole IMO. Particularly when considering that people will have to drill a hole in the tailcap anyways unless Thorfire decided to leave a boss in the tailcap to make this mod super simple.

And thats still only true if you want to go 6V. XML, SST-40 are possible without doing anything to the tailcap. Is it really needet that every led is individually addressable? The most people will go with either a simple mod and go with 3V LEDs. Or they go with 4 XHP50.2 with a TA driver.
So from banggoods side and the side of the “mass” i would say, lets try to get the layout so that this can be achieved without drilling any new holes. If there is still enough space some of the other features could be implemented in the design. But we really should keep in mind that Banggood has to make money to be interested and to stay interested in future projects. Shure we could go with the ultimate option mod board ( the user gets all options he could think of, but has to do a lot of work to his light) and every modder with more tools and knowledge is happy because he gets his board for a low price. But if BG sells only 50 or 100 of them they will think twice the next time someone asked for a GB deal. Or they have to price the boards not at 3-4$. To avoide any risk they must setup a price of ~10$/pcs if only 50 boards get sold. One way i could think of is, if BG sets up a preorder/whishlist promotion at the same time or short before the Q8 gets sold. So they can better see how many people are interested.

I might be totaly wrong with my opinion but thats the fine thing about opinions. Everybody can have one or two or three . . . :stuck_out_tongue:

As I’m on the list for two Q8’s and planning on modifying just one of them, I only kind of need one of these. However, it won’t hurt to have spares and wouldn’t it - in theory - help with reaching the minimum order?

Yep, interested in three (3) circuit boards.

I was looking at the layout and to try and use a trace to get the ground to the outside ring it could only be ~1-2mm thick at most, pretty small for a light that could be pumping 20+ amps through it. Even then I am not sure it would work with the xhp70 footprint at all.

The bypass resistors would also have to drop to 1206 at the largest to fit, assuming it even will with a 7070 footprint. I don’t have one on file but it is hard to fit using the 3535 footprint. I would venture to say it is not possible to make it fit with even close to a reasonable trace size. Heck the space between the LED’s themselves is what I would want to see for the whole trace.

I also realized another issue with the xhp70 footprint. There is no way to easily bypass the 7070 footprint like the 5050 and 3535. So thus it would take some advanced modding to bypass those with jumper wires instead of smd resistors.

Do we have measurements from the Q8 MCPCB? I don’t remember seeing any, but then again, I don’t remember a lot of things. :stuck_out_tongue: