Q8, PMS SEND TO THOSE WITH ISSUES BLF soda can light

Agreed. There is no doubt that this will be a nice light and most anyone who sees it and appreciates it will want one. However, even for a bargain price of $40, its going to start adding up to “real money” pretty quick. And that does not even take into account cells and a charger - if you are giving these to rookies. I already bought a set of button top 30Q’s back before the most recent ‘shipping Lion’ brouhaha, and I have plenty of laptop salvage cells, but I wouldn’t want to give those to anyone.

Maybe I just stick with giving out Eagle Eye X6R’s.

Anyway, add me in for a second one.

Well actually they got some nice copper to sit on:

Ah! I didn’t know that. Nice setup.

Still, you have bad stuff (thermal adhesive?) between the MCPCBs and that copper and more stuff with unknown thermal conductivity (metallic epoxy IIRC?) between the copper and the light body. The prototype is likely far better at conducting heat.

Yes, true mostly. The thermal grease is good stuff though, probably GC Extreme, and the other stuff is that aluminum based epoxy/putty stuff that comes in a stick shape, recommended by KB (I Think?). True, not great thermal properties but shouldn't be that bad? Was hoping better than JB Weld.

Ahh, found the pic:

Mostly though the lower amps is resulting in the lower output, and the primary LED to Noctigon DTP is there, and after that it would take a few secs at least to drop from heat, but I'm seeing the lower amps/#'s immediately.

Agree though the big copper DTP quad MCPCB is the key part of the Q8 achieving high output, but also allowing 18 AWG to solder in there unimpeded is a big time feature.

Notice my $3 zoomie with the high CRI Nichia and the multi-layer paper towel filter held on by a rubberband? It takes a pro to make those nice macro pics...

I can now picture 10.000 BLF’s taking pictures with tissues over their lights. :slight_smile:

According to my very variable finances, when it’s released I might want 1-2 more. Didn’t want to let my words overload my cash :wink: Always good for the one I’m signed up for though :smiley:

Phil

MRsDNF? I’ve seen a “Pro” photographer shooting a wedding with the bottom half of an Isopropyl Alcohol bottle on his flash… the Pro learns how to make do and still get the job done. :wink: Tom does that, every time!

, alum shtick test here: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/40160

Anyone want to speculate on how much TF might charge for a Q8 after the initial group buy? It stands alone when it comes to price/lumen/flexibility. It’s an amazing bargain compared with all the other comparable lights. I wonder if a couple more up front would be a good idea. I’d hate for TF to jack up the price.

I'm think'n they can't go too nuts with the price and still be able to sell a bunch. Maybe $60? As others said, it's an investment for the cells/charger for sure, but will still work sweet on 2 cells.

I can confirm in for one perhaps another

Nice work

That’s sounds about right.

Fwiw, there are sets of 4x flattop 30Q’s available for less than $20 so it’s not too bad to feed the monster. Just a quick, careful mod and you’re up and running.

4x Button top NCRB for < $20 too.

Right but don’t forget to include the price of a charger if you are giving this to a rookie. Best practices suggest that you use a 4 bay charger, so let’s add say another 25 bucks, and suddenly this is a $90 gift rather than $40.

Right, I gave the SupFire M6 from Tom E to my B-i-L with an XTar 4 bay charger and 4 XTar cells and it was close to $100 worth. Tom cut me a good deal on the M6, it’s highly modified and with Narsil, even has a light pipe taking light from an emitter on the driver as a beacon. Josh absolutely loves it, Tom got it to me quick and the USPS dropped a day on it so Josh got it a day after his birthday.

The M6 is built like a tank, the Q8 will be very similar, so it’s like a proto Q8 that went to Josh in Alabama. Sweetheart of a deal right there. Thanks again Tom, really appreciate it! (Not to mention the Fing I got from him for myself, now I too am playing with Narsil and enjoying it immensely!)

I would probably stick to gifting single cell flashlights to rookies, unless they really need 5000 lumens.

Weren’t we all “rookies” at some stage?
I don’t want to come across as ‘Rude!’ but as far as I’m concerned if a person can use a single LiIon light, they can use multi’s just fine.
This is my own personal opinion, and once they are pointed in the right direction it’s out of my hands. I’ve never given any lithium lights as gifts, but if I did - I’d give them the ins and outs then it’s up to them.
I hate nannying people. I have enough going on to be someone else’s brainpower on top of mine.
:+1:

I do the same thing. I let folks who I think won’t destroy the extreme lights in on the offer, but it’s up to them to drop the hammer. Mostly because I appreciate what happens to get these lights built and I want to make sure they get into hands that will appreciate them. I operate under the truism that, “Those who obtain something too easily esteem it too lightly.”.

I esteem the BLF lights and the effort put into them a great deal. I can only imagine everything going on behind the scenes to bring it about.

Indeed, however anyone can get their hands on any light that BLF has had a hand in creating, either here or the sites that sell them after initial GB’s.
Surely the wise thing to do would be to push the BLF name out there, and show the world BLF’s awesome creations and get more people on our bandwagon.
I mean, we aren’t an exclusive Freemason society.
I say let them in, let them know, and if they screw up it’s on them. I hear what you mean about people’s appreciation of our lights but we can’t hide them either. Why would we want to??

Hmmm. Difficult to accidently mix full and empty cells in a single cell light!