R.I.P. BLF

Spam sucks!!!!!!!

This is a mostly male forum you wahoo's!! We dont want purses. Maybe holsters!

This spammer must be new because he/she is very slow unlike the other guy who was on crack.

I think the "5 posts marked as spam-->block" method should be reimplemented.

With 5 maybe replaced by a higher number, and spam marks automatically cleared after 3 days (or whatever time Mr Admin thinks he needs to examine spam alerts) to not harm users whose posts were accidentally marked as spam.

Or some similar community based method. It worked quite well when it was used, we only need to take care of false positives...

(or maybe something fully automated like "published more than X links to a single site in less than an hour --> block" with X>=10, maybe with a white list of allowed sites...)

That sounds pretty darn good to me. Something just has to be done about spammers when Mr. Admin isn't around.

how about anyone under 200 posts who gets 5 spams in a day is blocked until review by Mr. Admin

Not sure if it's even possible but I'll go for anything at this point .

Make moderators who can only step on a persons throat ...

But don't give them too much power :P

It's better for a automatically system that deals with the number of posts made in an hour or so. There have been many good advices towards how to automate this in other spam related threads.

Maybe the first few posts should be reviewed by someone.. I mean, I did like.. 3posts the first day I joined. I cant see why you should need to have full posting access right away. Might be a little repressing for the few people who really have that much to post, but I think that'd be worth getting rid of those f*cked up kiddys.

Something really has to be done. Dont let them ruin this board.. I love it

There are some promising antispam modules for drupal such as this one:

http://drupal.org/project/mollom

Perhaps the admin could implement one of them.

Edit: - just looked at the price, if over 100 posts per day it costs euro 30 /month.

That means the admin would need to make more from the ads on the left...

I think posts approving is bad.

It's awkward enough to post in a new forum, we don't need to add forced manners (to get the moderators' approval) and frustration of waiting anxiously until some moderator wakes up.

We are a friendly forum, we don't need a gigantic red message welcoming new users to our community.

Unfortunately, this was bound to happen. If you have Google's attention, you have the spammers' attention as well. That's just the way it is - get enough google juice and you get spammed.

What you want to do about it is more of a policy decision than anything else. As I see it, realistically, there's three things we could do:

1. Implement restrictions and try to live with them. This obviously sucks because the fact that BLF is an open and friendly forum is part of the reason why many of us started posting here in the first place. As BLF grows, this may be a necessary evil and there's no reason to go all nuts, and make new members jump through a gazillion hoops, like the other place.

2. Automated behind the scenes magic, eg. some heuristic-based filtering technique (Bayesian, etc). The downside is that these need fine-tuning and someone to check for false positives at least semi-frequently.

3. Moderation or manual spam hunting. Doesn't really matter if it's a bunch of people holding a bunch of brooms (ie. a community-based moderation system; thing is, this isn't Slashdot) or a couple of people playing janitor. The downside is that spam still gets through and even though it gets cleaned up, chances are the spammers won't notice or care. Talk about a sisyphean chore.

But like I said, it's a policy decision so it's not really up to us. Fighting spam was part of my dayjob when email started becoming the de-facto standard way of communicating in the corporate world and all I can say is, it's a thankless job.

BTW, I just got this error message while trying to edit a post of mine:

Error #2020f665.
Please enable Javascript to use this form.
You must be a human, not a spam bot, to submit forms on this website. If you insist that you are a human, please try again. If error persists, contact webmaster using contact link at the bottom of this page and give all the details of this error (your browser, version, OS).

I have JavaScript enabled (except for some Google tracking scripts that I have blocked or set to be modified on the fly).

I didn't get the error.

I too have done time in the antispam trenches, and agree, was a task for sisyphus.

No more than 5 post in your first 24 hours and no more than 20 post a day for the next week. After that no restrictions! It might not cure it completely but in would go a long way.

Marc.

What , cant be banned or have the IP blocked ?

You can ban him or block his IP , but tomorrow can make a new username and spam again. That's why automate function regarding the number of posts made is better.

I got up in the middle of the night and saw this and as soon as I hit spam and went to another they already did the same one again, I was doing that for an hour last night.

I just got an error message saying "unable to send email" - I sent no message! I suspect the whole site is about to get sunk (please be wrong, please be wrong!)

And now this...

• Unable to send e-mail. Please contact the site administrator if the problem persists.
  • Unable to send e-mail. Please contact the site administrator if the problem persists.

I just got that error too.

Perhaps if we all buy one purse they will stop. ;)

How long have you been a member of al-Qaeda? :p