Review: D.Q.G Tiny AA 1xAA/14500 XP-G2 R5 Stainless Steel EDC Flashlight

Tell me your reset time to low if it’s on medium. How long do you have to wait to get back to low. If I wait less than 50 seconds it goes to high.

My apology for missing this crucial detail. This only happens on medium mode, and my reset to low time is ~35s.

I just measured. Mine is 50 seconds. Way too long. Low is different. It acts like off time memory and doesn’t switch to medium unless you switch off and on quickly. I don’t mind it too much but it’s a bit inconsistent.

Here’s my super fast capsule review:

Overall: A good, not great light, that works for me but is lacking in a few areas. Great value, not likely to be mod friendly.

The Bad:

- The clip is flimsy, weak, and shifts easily. It doesn’t seem to pop off the light though (a good thing).

- The UI is a mixed bag. It requires a deliberate effort to get out of low (off time of less than 0.5 secs) but then continues to cycle through all modes until it is off for 50 seconds or more. It’s strange and makes no sense. It works for me because I use low mostly, but will not work for everyone.

- The cutouts for the keyring are sharp. They needed some finish work with a file to smooth them out.

- The light is not mod friendly. It looks like a glued two piece head. The circuit and LED board are likely combined too, to reduce size.

• It looks like a bare optic, which can scratch easily.

The Good:

- A great, small size! It’s my smallest AA light by far!

- The knurling is very grippy, one handed use is easy with this knurling.

- Threads are fine (some cross threading is possible) but smooth. Tons of threads too, so you will not likley lose the head.

- The magnet implementation is very clever and allows one to remove it if needed easily. The Magnet is also strong enough to hold the light horizontally.

- The LED (mine is neutral 4250K XPG2) is very pleasant. I wouldn’t mod it to change tint.

- The optic gives a nice beam, with a good, wide hotspot.

- The glow behind the optic is a nice touch.

• The tail cavity can be used to mount a trit.

So, on the whole, I do like it. Tiny size (truly Tiny AA) and good tint, beam, feel, with fair UI. That and it’s cheap (was <$24 with coupon). Too bad the interface is odd.

Still real world testing mine, it does what my high dollar Sunwayman M11R Ti can not. And that is: work at the beach :slight_smile: My gear is always with me, and it’s important that it withstands the environment.
The M11R control ring gets filled with sand and saltwater and has to be disassembled at home after a good fishing or wind surfing outing. The Tiny shrugs it off with a freshwater rinse. I am really impressed by this design at this price point. Looking forward to trying the other offerings from DQG.

Whoa, I did not expect them to be so durable. I am so tempted to get the AAA version now.

Does anyone know how to open this light? I want to change the led to a 219B.

Very well glued. Good luck. The head is 2 pieces.

LED reflow will be pretty difficult as there are components surrounding the LED.

Yes I thought about that too, I saw the driver/mcpcb of the dqg 18650 and I think it is similar to this driver. Maybe I need to reflow the whole driver to change the led.
But first I need to open the head :wink:

Ok, I got it open.

I drilled a hole in a piece of wood and cut it in half. Than I used this to clamp the head in my vice without damaging it. Than I used the same technique for the top part and then I was able to crack the glue and twist the top off the head.

But now I don’t know how to get the PCB out of the tube, maybe someone has an idea? Here are some pictures. It sits really thight in there and I did not found a retaining ring or something similar.

Right click, show image for a full size picture.

It’s really too bad these don’t come in 5000K or a high-CRI Nichia 219B… and that they’re not very mod-friendly.

Hija freeme

When you use a 14500 do the two lower modes remain at 2.5lm and 35lm as with a NIMH or are they also boosted up?

Sorry freeme, just reread and looked at beam shots, seams like the lower modes do remain around the same with high maybe slightly boosted, Thanks for a great review.

Is the conclusion still coming or did you forget about this? HHAHHAHA

You got me…just ordered one. Good review and coupon code is nice.

Looks like a great light.

I had no intentions of buying anything tonight when I logged on.

Happens a lot around here.

Also ordered one the other day. Thank you for the review. Coupon is still valid and is a generous discount.

Ordered some days ago, together with a protected 14500. Curious if it will fit… After reading this review I dont think it will. :frowning:

+1

Protected battery width is too thick.

:_(
That s*cks…