Review request for HKJ [USB Power Devices]

It could be interesting to test. Ikea usual means decent quality (Not necessary great quality).
I will think about it.

HKJ, do you have any plans to test some USB C devices?

My new laptop charges by USB C which is great, obviously it came with a wall wart charger but I’d be interested in getting a few others.

The USB C also allows me to power the laptop by my power banks, however at present I only have old USB outputs so it is a very slow charge. Some USB C power banks would be very interesting.

USB-C can be very complex. The problem is when communication is required, I do not have anything to do that yet.
I have made test equipment to handle more simple USB-C devices and are working on a power bank with USB-C at the moment.

Much appreciated. Thank you. :beer:

Thanks HKJ, I look forward to the powerbank and learning some of the added complexities of USB C.

Most of that will have to wait for my USB info article. I am working on it and have written some text, but I have no idea when it will be ready.

There’s a somewhat recent USB tester on the market, model J7-t. It comes in two flavors, with the markings “USB safety (or security) tester” and “QC2.0/3.0/MTK-PE Trigger”. The safety tester supports QC voltage ranges and the “trigger” variant claims to support putting the power supply in QC mode (and many sellers warn against connecting a normal device when QC is triggered). It’d be nice if you could test either of them since they’re a cheap alternative to the XYZ Studio testers.

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20160621115001&SearchText=usb+trigger+tester

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Digital-Dispay-3V-30V-Mini-Current-Voltage-Charger-Capacity-Tester-USB-Doctor-QC2-0-quick-charge/32616678486.html?ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_8,searchweb201602_3_10037_10017_507_10032,searchweb201603_2&btsid=88da5f10-720a-4431-b4e5-f56926a3c850

I have ordered them.

Many thanks!

Hi!

I think you are talking about the one I have. Mine is marked as Security tester…

I can not do a review as HKJ, because I dont have the knowledgements and the equipment to do reviews and tests as HKJ,… but… I did 2 videos showing it.

I can answer questions about it if you want…

These are the videos

Part1 - - YouTube
Part2 - - YouTube

The first “problem” with it is that the screen is a bit difficult to read specially in high light conditions… but… about current and voltage readings it seems ok

Thanks

I’ve already watched your videos, thanks for uploading them. I don’t care about the screen really, I’ll only use the device occasionally at home.

Have you noticed the Ohm reading changing depending what cable you use?

Yes!

The Ohm reading changes, but I dont really know the meaning of it…

For example… If I connect the xiaomi usb light (5 mode version) to check the current draw… the ohm reading is different for each mode…

It is fancy… but I think that HKJ is the one to give us a veredict about it

I suspect the ohm reading is simply a calculation from voltage and current i.e. R=V/I

First review of a USB-C device is up, it is a power bank: Test/Review of Power bank Ravpower Turbo+ RP-PB043 (20100mAh)

I succumbed to myself and ordered that other version too. Received it yesterday, but there’s a problem.
This is a video I made for the seller :

Seems to me there is a nasty short somewhere in that thing.
Any of the experts here want to take a guess?

I just ordered one of these today, but would love to see a review of it:

Lithium battery mobile power PCB board support QC 2.0 5V/9V/12V Fast charge

Your review of the YZXStudio 8th Gen Power Bank would be an interesting read.

Maybe easiest to order it through a shopping service like Mistertao.com.

I have ordered one, next question is if I have time to test it when it arrives.

I will wait for better buy options. I would be nice if Franky got it.

I asked Franky if he’s ever going to sell these, but he said that the ones with batteries are almost impossible because of Li-Ion restrictions. And the empty housings are probably a bit too difficult for most people, because the latest versions require soldering or spot welding to form the 4P/8P battery packs. Earlier ones were also available with spring terminals.

Thank you for the update, I also try to buy from Franky. :slight_smile: