Review: Solarforce L2M

Which SST50 drop in , I have one , and the SST50 is no competition to a XM-L , its nice , but a decent XM-L will lord it over the SST50 …

My L2M came on Monday , and I have to say it is really nice [ quite possibly flawless ]

seems like the L2m’s are being cleared out as per solarforce facebook page…8 left as of yesterday for 9.99$…sucks cus these are the ones to get…

Got mine yesterday. They are nice aren’t they :slight_smile:

Nah, I have been told that I have enough lights…… (there are at least three more stuck in shipping)…. I do like the little skyray and its clones (was the original the seraph or something?) I just don’t want one enough to risk a row. :open_mouth:

Now, a 980l or hd2010 on the other hand….

I think if I stick to short form factor smooth bezel lights, I at least won’t suffer too much when swmbo brains me with them, although one of the lights on the way is the apex st6, that’s probably got some mass to it, although the blood stains will probably go nicely with the brass/polished stainless finish :bigsmile:

got 2x yesterday too, finish on them is really nice, best p60 host i got so far :wink:

Which are you referring to? The older version or the 2012 ones?
I thought people liked the newer version best

I already have more than a few Solarforce hosts, including two L2ms, but I just received two of the 2012 L2ms in the mail yesterday and they may exhibit the nicest build quality out of any of the SF hosts I have. Very nice indeed.

That’s good to know. The 2012 L2M is my first Solarforce and it does have impressive build.

Matt, like more than a few people here, Solarforce hosts make up the bulk of my collection, but these last two seem just that little bit nicer overall. Which is not to say that any of the others had major issues, they didn’t.

Sounds good. I think ill be trying an M3 head at some stage, and also an L2X if i can get one.

yeah they posted on their facebook that there were 8 left and then they were all gone…they were just clearing out the 2011 models, but never said that there was a 2012 model…

Due to this review I decided to try out an L2M. For the record this is my first foray into p60’s. Indeed beig in the UK I’m not sure I’d ever seen a p60 before.

I opted for one of the V3 Solarforce 18650’s and a Solarforce XML-U2 3 mode drop in. I’m so far impressed. I wasn’t sure what to expect from the from factor. It’s kind of like a chunky mini maglite. Not hugely pocket friendly but doable if I’m wearin jeans.

This is my first single button multi mode UI. It’s ok although it does make me truly realise how good the dual button UI is on my Klarus NT20.

Thanks Foy for the nudge I needed to try one of these out. Reckon an L2P and an Int’l Outdoors drop in might find their way to me next month :wink:

You'll like it a lot better with the IO drop-in. Solarforce modules tend to be driven rather "safely."

Foy

Do you know something about the drive current of the Solarforce XM-L U2 drop in ?
I think I’ve read that it is driven at 2 amps or something, still ‘safely’ but definitely harder driven then their XM-L T6 ?

to keep this on topic, at least a little bit

I don't have a Solarforce U2 module so, not sure. If it's like every other Solarforce drop-in I have, it will almost certainly be driven very "safely." I haven't had an XM-L from them yet that pulled even 2 amps.

Foy

I’ve been building a few flashlight for deputies in my department. Ordered 6 of the new single mode XM-L U2’s from SolarForce everyone pulled right at 2 amps from a single 18650 and about 1.5 from a pair of cr123a. Color was good with no hint of green, purple or yellow. The circuit board in the M3 and the U2 appear to be the same. 2 of these modules were put in L2M’s with the A0001 head running on 18350’s these make good EDC. The rest were on plain L2’s all shimmed with 24 ounce Monster soda cans. These cans are 0.004” much thicker than smaller cans.

Hey Texas, thanks for the tip. Didn't know the bigger cans were thicker. Makes sense, now that I think about it.

Foy

Hi,

Great review as always. One question though, may I know which/what stainless(?) crown was used here? Thanks!

That is a very special FOY Bezel! :bigsmile:
You can’t buy them. They are hand made by FOY himself. An awesome bezel indeed.

It’s a self build “foy-bezel”, as far as I know this was a crenulated bezel made of aluminium and sold by Solarforce (already discontinued) which has been grinded down by member foy using files and grit paper.