Review: Solarforce Masterpiece Pro-2

Depends on the MC-E bin.

This is the M bin. Rated 753-858lumens @ 2800mA. It can be as high as 105 lumen variation between the samples.

Match got 693 lumen @ 2800mA for the MC-E led, however the bin was not specified.

XM-L T6 - Rated 910-975 @ 3000mA

(Match got 852 lumens @ 2800mA)

XM-L U2 - Rated 975-1040 @ 3000mA

What solarforce parts match the head colour and finish Foy asiwouldliketoknowplease

Foy, what drop-in does the Masterpiece Pro2 use? Also SST-50 like the Masterpiece Pro1?

The pro 2 uses a MC-E the pro 1 uses a XR-E R2 going from the solarforce website

The Masterpiece Pro-1 and 2 don't have drop-ins. They're not P60 compatible although an L2/L2P tube fits. That's all a Masterpiece Pro-1 is; a "Turbo" head with an L2P body. The MPP-2 uses the L2X body, sorta.

benckie -

The finish on the MPP-2 is like the previous version L2P. A new L2P body looks fine screwed on the MPP-2 but to my eyes, they are different.

Foy

Thanks Foy

I wish SolarForce made a triple XML light too. They have made a good job even out of an MC-E.

Wouldn't surprise me if they made a triple in the near future. The problem is; if they charge $75 for a single T6, how much will their triple be?

toomuchFoy

I agree! I think we need a MasterPiece Pro-2 head with 3 x XML T6's

update:

From the department of truth: I never use this flashlight. Every couple of months, I put some batteries in it, shine it on the wall, spin it in my hand, admire its good looks and try to imagine how small the market must be for a 2 x 18650 MC-E flooder.

Solarforce logic 405: Kill the $8 L2i and L2r but keep the $70 MPP 2.

Is it well made? Yes. Does it have perfect reliability? Yes. Does anybody care? No. Are rhetorical questions stupid?

yesFoy

I wish they would do a Pro-3 with XM-L U2 in the Pro-1 style head and driven at 3A.

Instead we got the M3. Hmmmm.

I concur about the L2i. I love mine and I love the hand filling fatness of it and the grippy knurling. I have the black one.

Why nobody cares for the poor lil’ L2X? In my opinion, it’s death was way more tragic than death of L2i / L2r :frowning:

:cry:
Foy
Foy
Ted told me just wants to go outside and get a little mouse for you. LOL

I didn’t mind the L2X either.

The L2r would make much more sense, seeing that it is one of only a few P60 style 2-AA lights out there. I have a gun metal L2r. It is very nice. I also have 2 L2i’s. :wink:
No MP2 or any of the “big” headed lights.

foymakessense!

Tadpole -

You must know Ted. That cat murders anything that moves in the back yard . . . very slowly. He likes to play with lizards during a lengthy twitching, suffering, mutilation period prior to blessed death and then bring the severed body in the house as a trophy. My vet says it's a loving gesture of affection toward his owner because the cat thinks you will experience the same euphoria he does.

pleasurekillerTed

Guess the Gladiator is the replacement for the L2X. I’ll guess that some dealers may have a few leftovers so a quick email might score one. The UF 504 and the WonderLite [FiveMega] 2x18650 hosts are the only other SureFire C thread compatible tubes I can recall. Leef made really nice 2x18650 tubes but those are $$$$ now for collectors.

Awesome review, I just ordered the 1 and 2. Would it be a bad idea to run the 1 on 4x18650?

EDIT
Looks like it’ll be alright if I test voltage beforehand. :stuck_out_tongue:

Right, about the voltage and use cells that are the same type/age. You want them to discharge equally. I generally use 2 x 18650 in both my MPPs.

Foy

I have about a year of steady usage on both a Pro and an M8 from SF. Steady but not spectacular is how I would describe them. Wonderful quality, but limited capabilities and neither really lived up to my expectations, a bit of a disappointment with both, especially given my fondness for everything else Solarforce that I own.
According to those who know such things, neither unit is readily moddable. I got both at decent prices. And service/shipping was a small let down from the Intl seller. Had better luck with a US supplier for everything else SF I own.

If we are ‘talking flashlights’ with a visitor in my house, I normally show them an old Goncz monster xenon unit or my Sky Ray King or a modded SF EDC. I like to look at them, show them off a bit, handle them, admire, but usage, not so much anymore…