Review: The new HaikeLite MT07 - Buffalo XHP70 thrower

We got the same problem at where I work. If we announce in advance a new version is coming, sales suddenly drops like a rock and we get stuck with old inventory. And of course the newly announced upgrade runs late, further killing sales. Then when the new model hits the street, guess what? We sell out in a week, and don't have parts or time to build to keep up with the sales surge - then later we catch up, and sales drops to some prior steady level. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Mostly now they don't say a word prior to a new version release - it just shows up, further aggravating the distributors and customers... Ugh......

I was told shaving the corners only works on multi emitter lights like the MT03, but not on lights with a single deep reflector.

I don’t like the corona, it’s very noticable.

I’m just saying, if your not running a fet driver, then the 70.2 is not that big a deal. The output is not any higher with the stock driver.

+1, agree with Jason. I swapped XHP70 to XHP70.2 and got no gain from a stock or resistor tweaked driver. If you are up'ing a bin or 2, should get a bump just for up binning alone.

I shaved off corners of an XHP70.2 in a L6 SMO and it did not help reducing the yellow halo.

hmmm this sounds like similar issue with XP-G3 the ugly yellow corona :slight_smile:

i should stay away 70.2 for now :smiley:

hmmm this sounds like similar issue with XP-G3 the ugly yellow corona :slight_smile:

i should stay away 70.2 for now :smiley:

The shaved XHP70.2 in my OP MT07 looks great btw. I believe there's no yellow corona whatsoever. Dang, no time but this is how the LED looks:

Got my SMO reflector today! It's installed, VTC6's charging...

nice!! i was just going to ask. pics soon? :slight_smile:

Sorry, no pics, probably won't have time. Measured I got 368 kcd with the SMO reflector, 296 kcd was with the OP, so got a nice bump.

There is a black hole up to 6 feet or so, so I'm not getting the best focus. Even at 5m I have to hunt a lot for the hot spot which tells me it's not focused well. I'd need to get the LED further in the reflector I assume

nice 24% bump.
just received my smo reflector today, it’s very nice and shiny, really excited :wink:

L6 reflector on the left, MT07 smo reflector on the right

I want to order one for my MT07 but they don’t answer my request ?

bypassed the sense r, now ~19A!

mt07 on left with op, l6 on the right with smo

mt07 on left with smo, l6 on right with smo

the pic show the donut hole, probably the same thing tom is seeing, but it not that bad because the camera makes it look worst. next will be to shave the centering ring to see if it gets any better

it dawned on me the blush tint on my mt07 isn’t right… noticed that the smo reflector was wider than the centering ring, being wider the smo reflector sat lower and never made any contact with that glass and locking ring thus there was no pressure to push the led to the shelf for thermal transfer! luckily the led survived.

went to dome slice the xhp70.2, the dome is more brittle compared to the xhp70, being so it took more dome material than the slice :frowning:

here is the mt07 xhp70.2 dome sliced smo on the left, l6 xhp70.2 dome slice smo on the right

Did you measure the hot spot size before and after the dome slice?

the size before and after would be, sorry it hard to compare:

mt07 on left with smo before dome slice, l6 on right with smo

here is the mt07 xhp70.2 dome sliced smo on the left, l6 xhp70.2 dome slice smo on the right

If I replace my OP reflector with SMO reflector and upgrade from XHP70 to XHP70.2 will there be any increases in lumens output and throwing distance on my Buffalo MT07?

Generally speaking, when you switch from an OP reflector to an SMO reflector you get a slightly tighter hotspot which does increase the throw.

With the stock driver you won’t get any increase in output by switching to the 70.2. The difference you will see is that the hotspot is going to be smoother. The older xhp70 tends to have more of a donut shaped hotspot.

JasonWW what will happen to the lumens output?

Not much. If you were running a FET driver you would get a big jump in output and current consumption, but the stock driver still delivers the same current.

Since the forward voltage of the 70.2 is a bit lower, you might get a tiny increase in lumens. Not enough to see.

Finally got the MT07 with smooth reflector and Cree XHP70.2.
Lumens output is the same as the old MT07 with cree XHP70 with OP reflector. The new ugrade does have a further throwing distance of 70 meters. I’m impressed.