Review: Trustfire F20 Cree Q5-WC 5-Mode 1xAA

Did you bought at DX? make a video showing a problem and they will send you a new one for free if shipping cost to HK are above 60% of product cost.

DealExtreme Powa!!!!!!!!!

The only thing i can guess is that there led drivers are not seperated but all in one bin or container.......so they just grab one without even testing it.

Yes, I bought it from DX. So far my experience with DX’s customer support has been very pleasant, so I’m not too worried that they might try to brush me off.

Just received mine, looks and feels OK, button is recessed a little more than it really need be which makes it kinda difficult to press.

Like already mentioned, the memory takes time to trigger, I timed it down to approx 60 seconds. i.e. you need to turn it off for at least 60 seconds, otherwise it will change mode when you turn it back on (really annoying)

The circuit makes a quiet noise in every mode apart from high.

I kinda feel I should have paid the extra for the K-106 because moving through strobe/sos to cycle the modes is annoying.

Mine also had the same problem of changing modes by itself (loose pill), tightening it seems to have fixed it. After having used it more, it is very good for the price, the memory isn't that much of an issue. I'd say the largest downside is the strobe & sos modes

Well, mentioning the good support so far seems to have jinxed it. First I got the usual request to look for a solution in the product’s forum. When I replied that I had looked there already and pointed out two threads about the same problem, I got offered a $6 store credit as compensation.
I replied that I needed a light working with alkaline or NiMH batteries and $6 wouldn’t help me with that. Next I got sent an instructional text on how to return defective items. The first paragraph said that items should not be returned if shipping fees exceed 35% of the item’s retail price. I replied that postage alone would cost 8€, more than $10 at the current exchange rate. I asked if DX really wanted to pay that for getting the broken light back.
In reply to that I got offered a whopping - wait for it - $7 compensation in store credit.
At that point I got a little bit miffed and replied rather brusque that I bought the light because it was advertised as being able to run on standard batteries as well as on Li-Ion and since it would not run on the former any more it was now useless to me (or rather the intended recipient). I would not accept any offer for partial compensation and DX could either refund the full price or send me another light.
Three days passed and I got… the same text on how to return defective items I got earlier. But this time he sends it twice. So once again I point out that, according to the directions given in the instructions, the broken light should not be sent back, as the shipping costs would amount to 84% of the item’s retail price (and that’s just the postage).
Somehow I got the impression that the guy doesn’t really understands what I’m telling him and is just pasting standard text blocks into his replies. Well, if I don’t have a satisfactory answer by tomorrow, I will open a dispute with Paypal, maybe that will get the attention of somebody competent.

In another thread I have advocated that you dont try to get in any form of debat with a HK seller

its bound to become a catastophe due to bad english and a common distrust.

Start a dispute at once(!) and a little later a claim with PayPal. Its the only language they understand.

I have never had any problem not solved either with a full refund or a replacement!

And why not? You have paid in full for a working merchandice!

As I have stated before, my previous dealings with DX’s customer support have been quite pleasant, so I’m loath to jump to confrontational actions like immediately raising a dispute with Paypal.
I’m still willing to apply Hanlon’s Razor (Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity), but Paypal’s 45 day deadline is approaching next week, so this is the last chance they get.

Mine have been pleasant too, but I discovered, thatPayPal had a very positive influence on the speed

of the rma-proces. It usely went from very slow to very fast.

But if your preference is to wait a very looooooong time. its your choice.

In case anybody wondered, this saga has come to an end. It took me two and a half weeks of dealing with delaying tactics, a PayPal dispute and finally the threat to file for customer protection to get my money back.

OK, excuse because I am not English and dont understand very well

So you used paypal to recover the money you paid. You returned to HK the defective one?

I told you it would work!

Well, I didn’t use PayPal’s buyer protection service. I just filed a dispute, which is the first step to invoking the buyer protection. After the dispute has been filed, both parties have twenty days to settle the issue between them or move forward to let PayPal decide the case.
At this point, PayPal did’t do anything, but I had demonstrated to DX that I was willing to make things complicated for them and they refunded me the full amount I paid. They didn’t ask to have the flashlight back, as postage would have cost almost as much as a new one.
One more thing, after the dispute was filed, I was offered a free replacement if I closed the dispute. Never accept such an offer. Once you close a dispute, it can not be opened again and have lost your best weapon. If a dispute is opened, you have to see it through.

http://www.budgetlightforum.cz.cc/node/30#comment-8877

Where did you get your Akoray K-106 5 mode?

I have to say about akoray K-106 /trustFire F20:

Earlier units (manufactured late 2009) were working perfect with AA/14500. Practically ALL units manufactured in 2010 self destroys with 14500

At DX:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.28546

Hi guys, I received now the replacement of my TF F20. It was destroyed on 13 september after using a 14500. DX shipped the replacement on 23 SEPTEMBER!!!! and arrived today.

All I have to say: DX version SUCKS. Purchase the LT One. And the LT one is even CHEAPER....

Why purchase the LT one instead of the DX one?

The replacement I received has the SAME driver board that the one that broke with 14500, so I will not put a 14500 on it. The driver board that I am talking about is the one which has a "red path joining 2 parts of the circuitry" clearly visible in the part where the battery makes contact.

The LT one works perfectly with 14500, the driver looks very different and includes the plastic protector in the clip. Meaning that DX and LT have different suppliers for the same product..........................

It's likely your prior light fried because it had a low Vf emitter (overcurrent through the whole circuit on direct drive) and not much to do with the driver. The driver with the line is in my C3 SS and it works fine on 14500's at ~1A

Now we have another alternative with the same Body and LED but in BLACK color, never seen that color. Only 3 mode (lacks LOW)

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.47966~r.43033281