Review: Trustfire F20 Cree Q5-WC 5-Mode 1xAA

Hmm interesting. I don't like the looks of that new Aurora SH-00271, it has no low mode and an additional strobe mode, and the switch boot protrudes, preventing it from tailstanding.

The switch boot can be replaced easy. But the lack of the LOW mode is very bad

Could you please explain how? I have several flashlights with protruding switch boots that I would change if it was easy.

It is as simple as, unscrew the tailcap, remove the plastic encasement that holds the switch, remove spring, remove switch, and finally remove the boot. Put the new one and reverse the procedure

Interesting, thanks Fran.

But, only but. Some flashlights are harder to do. For example, removing the plastic part that holds the switch in the 3W zooming of DX is almost impossible. If you try to do it, probably you will destroy it.... also the plastic is very thin in this 3W zooming

In those akorays bodies (F20, akoray, aurora, etc...) is easy. First remove the spring by "unscrewing it", second remove the plastic part. With the spring out, is more easy, just take a thin "alicates" and gently remove it giving a movement as "sacar para arriba" while you twist it left and right. Once the plastic part is out, all will be "pan comido"

To rephrase the answer somewhat differently:

On most cheapy lights, the tail assembly contains the chassis, and inside: the boot, the switch (w/ pcb), spring to contact battery, and a piece to hold everything to the chassis, in that order. Once you unscrew the latter, everything else more or less falls out since cheap light don't have sophiscated mechanicals inside to keep all the pieces in place.

On the f20 style light, it's a bit different because I think the tail is assembled from the other direction (outside rather than inside). The tailcap/outside piece is the piece to hold everything to the front of the body. It's a bit tricky to get off because there are no grip spots and the rim is rather slippery.

Manafont are selling The Trustfire F20 for $11.09.

The specs say AA powered but the body of the flashlight say 0.8 to 4.2v

i got the Lightake version of this light two days ago. the mode memory is pretty sweet. i've counted as few as two seconds for it to catch the last mode unlike reports from the DX version of minutes to activate. the front glass is rattling around a tiny bit and sounds kinda thin and the driver looks like it'll be impossible to tighten without something very sharp/thin. the threads were unlubed, it feels, and a little rough for my taste but everything fits together fine. it's got the ol strobe/SOS modes and a very recessed button which is kind of annoying. other than that, it's a good light for the $11.00 i paid. even the clip is useful (albeit a bit flimsy).the beam looks very similar to a C3 and floodier than my S10. and a slight bit cooler than the S10. so far, apart from the useless modes, it should make a good work light. we'll see...

oh yeah: it seems to work fine with a 14500!

Thanks for the update sonofbuster. I've heard good things about the Lightake version too. But I also heard that the Lightake version has a significantly higher "low" mode. How is the runtime on yours on "low"?

About the rattly lense: Maybe try tightening down the LED module, and it might also tighten up the lens.

haven't done a run time test on any light that i have so i don't know. as far as low being too high, for what i do, it seems fine. i sometimes have to shine this light through a hole surrounded by shiny metal and it doesn't blind me when i do that but still gives me enough light to see what i need to see. so for me, it's a good low.

i don't think i have anything that can possibly tighten the driver except two pen knives used like chopsticks.

My method exactly! :)

You guys convinced me to order one of these from DX. It is the first time I've bought anything form them, so now I guess the wait begins.

Someone around here need so order in quantities and open their own USA store of KD +DX with fast shipping...

Welcome to BLF trooplewis! And get ready to buy more, because just like Pringles, you can't stop at one.

Hi there trooplewis, welcome to the show! Enjoy your habit hobby here.

Aloha and welcome to BLF trooplewis!

Howdy!

I hope you don’t mind, I just posted a mini-howto on a way to attach a dirt-cheap (is that okay here? :wink: ) lanyard to the clip on these.

It’s posted here:

I hope y’all like it!

Dim