Review: Trustfire Z2 (1 x AA/1 x 14500)

I have a Z1. I originally liked it but I changed my mind later. Seemingly bad heatsinking which made the High mode too high (for 4.2V li-ion), low was too low as a long-term setting. No medium setting; they wasted that on a strobe. Dangerous because the protruding button can make it turn on in a pocket. Mine did so, I think twice. Once I caught it (saw it shining through my pocket), the other time I just went to turn it on, and it was dead. I stopped carrying it then, but luckily no disaster. 16340 seemed a little too low of a capacity, as I expect right-angle lights to be intended for longer runtimes (not always holding it in your hands). XP-E = pretty crappy LED for a modern light. The brightness really impressed people, but that was only because of the concentration of the spot.

The Z2 seems to address many of the Z1's weaknesses. Slightly higher capacity 14500, XP-G vs XP-E, more modes. HOPEFULLY better heatsinking. Hopefully easier to get apart to check/improve heatsinking and replace parts. Price is still right. IMO the reflector should have wider spill (really bad for headlamp use; luckily there's full-flood mode). Like the magnet idea. Still feel burned on the Z1. Spite alone may prevent a future purchase. However if they can do a Z2 at this price, why is the H2 (XR-E!) headlamp twice the price?

With something like this headlamp strap (Kaidomain Ultrafire headlamp strap, "Ultrafire Elastic Belt", $3.54, reportedly same strap as included with the H2), yeah, maybe it could be an H2 killer. I'd pay more to have an XM-L in there, even at all-low currents (dream on).

Nice to be alerted to this. Thank you.

I just used the Z2 on its first night hike. No moon last night either. I carried it in my hand while using a Fenix HP10 on my head. Trustfire 14500’s from dx, sku 26124.

I found the beam pattern of both lights to be nearly identical. The Z2 has a cooler tint. The low mode of the Z2 is bright, very roughly equivalent to the second 50 lumen mode of the HP10. I need a MUCH lower low if I’m to make this my only light on multi day hikes. It’s very small, so small that it’s hard to believe my Xeno e03 uses the same type of battery. It didn’t get noticeably warm on the lowest level.

At home I tried it on with the Kaidomain Ultrafire headlamp strap that brjones mentioned. It fits, but the clip should be removed. I didn’t hike with it yet.

We're glad that you joined, leaftye!

Bringing an old thread back…

Been looking at the TF Z1 and Z2. Seems most around, including DX, are XP-E 3-modes. Then there’s a few sites claiming to have XP-G 5-modes. The 5 mode ones seem to be about 3-5 bucks more. Not insignificant on a $16 light.

Can anyone confirm if these 5 mode versions really exist [or are just mislabeled 3 modes]… and if they are XPG or XPE? I’d really like to know before ordering especially if from a vendor that is new to me.

Is this light current regulated?

I believe so, according to the vendors anyways

The one I had was 5 mode, not sure what emitter it had though. I gave it away a long time ago.

Where did you buy it?

everbuying.com

But I would advise against buying from them unless you are willing to gamble your money.

Oh ok. Yeah I don’t order from there. I might just try a three mode… not sure.

Any particular reason you gave it away?

I sold and gave away all my 18650 and 14500 lights and batteries because I decided i only want AA flashlights.

While its capable of taking AA’s the performance on them was underwhelming.

Fair enough ezarc. I have heard that about aa performance of this light. Are you saying that is true for lithium like energizer advanced also or just alkies?

There’s 3 modes at a few vendors. Maybe ebay too.

They are high / med / strobe though. I hate strobes too man, I hear ya. If they were h/m/l I would have pulled the trigger already.

The review should be corrected. I don’t think this light comes with a xp-g even on sites that advertise it as such; the product photos tell a different tale.

Agree completely. Thats part of what I was trying to figure out by posting. In all pics I have seen online none appear to be XP-G.

I know I’m late to the game with but I just received one of these.

It’s a neat little light and the build quality for such little money, (around $14.00), is very satisfactory. I like that it takes alkaline, Lithium or 14500 AA’s. I also like the GID activation button and that you can unscrew the head and instantly have a nice flood light.

About the only gripe I have is the magnet in the tail cap on my example was very weak and wouldn’t hardly stick at all. It was easily solved as the innards of the tailcap simply unscrews and I added an additional magnet and now it’s strong and really stays put.

As others have stated, I don’t care much for the SOS and strobe modes but it’s really no big deal. All in all, a great little light for little money.

I use the Z1 strobe mode for crossing streets (several people got killed recently in crosswalks I use often, by people who ‘just didn’t see them’ — and I also used strobe to stand in another crosswalk one rainy dark night, over someone who’d been hit and left there by a driver hit-and-run. The little pocket light strobe was adequate to stop traffic until the emergency vehicles arrived — the strobe does have its uses for getting attention!).

Been looking for a Z2 for the AA battery size; anyone got a current reliable source for the Z2?

Hi Hank,
That’s a good argument for the strobe feature! I live very rural so I wouldn’t need it but I can see where it would be viable. You can get the Z2’s at www.fasttech.com. for $14.00 and I think they are a bargain.

i got mine from wallbuys ($14) when they had the 15% off coupon. came in nice packaging and works well, although mine also had a weak magnet tail. I’d like more spill as well

I find one layer of ordinary Scotch Magic tape over the glass adds a fair amount of side spill without losing much useful brightness at the center.

For more flood, I took a single-use contact-lens holder (white translucent plastic dome) and cut it down to fit, which works well also