Review: Trustfire Z2 (1 x AA/1 x 14500)

Got my Z2 (promptly) from FastTech. It’s fine for my purposes. Haven’t tried leaving it on bright with the LiIon to see how fast it heats up — I’d expect it to cook fairly fast. But as a little blinky-traffic-stopper, it’s what I need.

The Z2 was my daily carry, to use the strobe in crosswalks to get drivers’ attention (several fatalities in my neighborhood during that time, drivers just not noticing someone in a crosswalk). The switch has failed now. Mentioned that yesterday in another Z2 thread (which Search isn’t finding for me today).

I swapped the head from a Z1 onto the Z2 battery case, which works fine for me (the Z1 head is not quite as bright, and only has hi-low-strobe — but bright enough, and 60 percent fewer switch-clicks, maybe this one will last longer)

Has anyone succeeded in taking a Z1/Z2 head apart who can describe how to do it? (Another thread points to a Russian-language site that shows them disassembled but I can’t figure out how they did that)

Pull on the brass contact on the head. It'll probably pull the spring out. Keep pulling, maybe it'll pull out the contact board. I forget how I took out the contact board, but it no longer has a spring on it, so I probably pried it out. The edge isn't electrically active.

Pry the switch cover off and push the switch out from the inside.