Review: UltraFire C20 / Crelant 7G3CS clone

[quote=infinitusequitas]
What makes you interested in XP-G2 over XM-L2?
XM-L2 has more output per power than XP-G2 I would guess and also can work with higher powers.

I really want to hear about the differences and please do not find any other than the laser etched logo :smiley:

:wink:

[quote=JackCY]

I could well be 100% wrong about this, but isn't the XM-L2 the same size as the XMLU2/U3? and the XP-G2 much smaller?

I would expect it to throw further.

Basically I'd like to have a great thrower in this size category, but still with respectable ~400-500 output. Armytek does this with an XP-G2... I'm just not a fan of the size of the light for EDC. It's a fantastic thrower, in great part because of the large and deep reflector, but not only because of it. An XMLU2 in essentially the same exact armytek, has a little over half the throw... higher output yes but a lot less throw.

It’s not so easy to find comparison but I will try.
From what I’ve seen, yes XM-L is larger than XP-G and the hotspot is bigger but the brightness of the flood and I think also the hotspot is higher with XM-L. Sure the difference between spill and spot on XP-G may be bigger but the output might be lower in absolute values compared to XP-G.

I have an XM-L2 T6 3C and XP-G2 R5 3D so I may try soon as I want to test what to put into some of my lights so I can check with the reflector and try to take some pictures of the ceiling I suppose with the C20 reflector put on different MCPCB with different emitters driven at the same current.

Sure size of a reflector compared to the size of the emitter does count for throw.

Still if you drive an XM-L2 3A and XP-G2 1.5A as I guess the specs are, the XP-G2 will be outshined by the XM-L2. Sure the power consumption is different. At the same current? Yes the XP-G2 might be a better thrower than XM-L2.

Armytek XP-G2 vs XM-L but the output currents are not exactly the same, probably close though.“:Armytek Predator (XP-G2 R5) & Predator X (XM-L U2) [ 1x18650, 2x(R)CR123A ] Review | Candle Power Flashlight Forum

Plus the stock driver of C20 might be a bit too much for the XP-G2 with a fresh single lion. And probably too much with 2xCR123A. Since the currents go above 2A. I’m not sure how well does XP-G2 cope with that.

XP-G2's sweet spot is at about 2.5A per Match's test. I'm planning a couple builds of XP-G2's at 2.5A myself.

-Garry

UltraFire C20 as of today available on FastTech also :D

Thanks very much for the review! Frontpage’d and Sticky’d.

I received the C20 yesterday.

Comparing it to the original Crelant, there seems to be absolutely no difference in finish, quality, or function. The clicky on the C20 needs just a tad more force - in line with other flashlights.

If there were no company markings on them, you would not be able to tell them apart at all.

In output the Crelant 7G3CS appears to win out slightly.

Major difference is in tint. The Crelant 7G3CS is a much warmer/yellow, more pleasant to the eyes, and consistent with other U3 lights I have seen.

I have no way to confirm this, but based on seeing many lights, to me the output of the C20 is consistent with a U2, not U3.

Altogether, my vote between the two goes to the C20, based purely on price. The 7G3CS I picked up for ~$45. the C20 for under $30... that's a big difference.

For $30 this light is really a steal.

If anyone is interested I'll take some side by side pictures, but trust me when I say they are identical.

mine is coming in a day or two, can't wait to unbox it :D

Thanks for the update. Sure do post pictures.
I think the internals may have more quality with Crelant, but then I do not know Crelant so who knows if they use better cables or there exist some better switches.
Both manufacturers are Chinese, do the products even come from a different production line/factory? :bigsmile:

Yes the C20 has a cold tint and maybe a U2 emitter bin.
I’m swapping it soon for XM-L2 T6 3C anyway.
The reflector works best with XM-L. Got a comparison to post laaaater with different reflectors and XM-L, XM-L2, XP-G2, XP-E.

I don’t see it as a big problem to adjust the output power on the driver.
When I finish one light I will start working on another one but I need at least one working, now it’s the C20. Then I will try to lower the value of the potential sensing resistors.

I'd love to see those comparison shots. Especially with the XPG2, and XPE-E.

I'm also a bit puzzled by why the LED is not driver harder, considering it's easy enough to change to lower output. Fully driven, in that little host, it would be warm to fast for manufacturer comfort.

Yes it would get hot if driven too hard, that’s why some have the few minutes on turbo only.
I don’t have a photo of C20 reflector with an XP-G2. Only with an XM-L2 right now, and it is not focused. There is this plastic in C20 that “ensures” helps to maintain the proper distance of the reflector to the emitter.

With an XM-L it is a nice beam. With an XP-E it was not so much when I walked around holding it hand attached to Tank007 E09.

I will try to take a picture after I complete my swap to XP-G2 in E09, somehow position the C20 reflector above it. But the position is sort of a key to have it focused…

Plus XP-G is never going to overthrow XM-L when both driven properly. It seemed pointless to use an XP-G2 with the C20 reflector when I was trying it out. I will try again.

XP-E is a piece of junk literally. Unless you have some XP-E2 in a high bin with a good tint. The XP-G2 R5 is quite a bit brighter than an XP-E R3.

You don't think the XP-G will outhrow the XML, or XML2? The reason I'm kind of stuck on it, is after observing it in the Armytek Predator... in terms of total output the XML lights kill it, but in terms of throw the XPG2 Predator is definitely superior. No surprise really on the XPE, but I had my hopes up a bit since you mentioned it. It never even occurred to me to before.

Most premium lights kick down to a lower mode, when they get to either a preset time, or based on temperature. The Crelants I feel would start melting first... should be a required feature on all lights that can overheat imo.

Just got the light today. Excellent light, but I hate the UI (honestly, I didn't read about the UI before ordering it). No memory (always comes on at max), some odd flashing when first turning it on, ramping is too slow and doesn't reverse direction until you reach the top or bottom. On the plus side, no detectable PWM, and the double tap to strobe is nicely executed.

I can’t give you a comparison between XP-G2 and XM-L at the same current (too much fiddling and work to do that) but you can at least see the difference with C20 reflector.

And did anybody measure what currents they put through the XM-L and the XP-G version of Armytek Predator? I don’t think so. And if then they are the same that just means the XM-L is working at 50% of it’s capacity :bigsmile:

At the same power/current yes XP-G will throw better since the die is smaller and otherwise it’s comparable to XM-L in output more or less at half the current capacity. It’s like a downsized XM-L.

And yes I have short circuited the E09 with the C20 reflector a few times, no way to get it any lower and better focused on that small 12mm MCPCB due to cables. But it’s quite close or ideal already. I remember that ring in the middle from before. And blinded myself a few times.

Of course each emitter is driven with a different current, different battery and driver.
Emitters leveled since the E09 is a tiny AAA light, put it on a block of wood.

E09, around 0.47A on high, 0.16A on medium trough the emitter.
C20, not measured that yet, only guessed.

Yeah the GUI could be more smart but then are any lights sold with a decent GUI?
Double click and hold to ramp down, click and hold to ramp up, would be nice indeed. And faster ramping, or at least the start of it.

But it’s a Crelant clone so what would you expect, they make it any better than the original? :bigsmile: Probably not in China.

Anyone know if this one has low voltage warning/protection like other Crelant's models?

Looks kinda on the smaller side to fit protected 3400mAh panasonic cells so I thought to

get unprotected NCR18650B's for this one!

Btw, I just got one in the mail today :D -> best 30 bucks spent ever

Fits the panasonic protected cells just fine actually.

yes, but it's super tight :)
only con that I found is the holster, again, super tight, can't accept the flashlight

with clip inside, without the clip you have to be very persistent to get it in. :D

Yep as I said, holster is tight, I don’t use it nor need it.

Dimensions inside out are in the review :stuck_out_tongue:
Completely with maximum battery size possible on my model.

There is lots of space inside. Tight? May be, I use protected Sanyo UR18650FM just fine and I stuck a piece of wood in there and then measured the how much was left to close it and substracted that from the height of what I stuck inside.

You could always change the driver spring assembly to fit something like 75mm long battery probably.

The default 19.1*72.25mm battery compartment seems generous enough to me when most protected batteries are 68-69mm long.

ok, maybe I was wrong a bit :) my conclusion was based on spring cracking sound when tightening the flashlight and force needed to tighten it but that could easily be due to non lubricated o-rings <- how's that for a scientific measuring method ;D aaahahahaha.

Btw, I suppose that it has low voltage warning, unfortunately I charged all my cells today and don't have any close to 3V.

Anyway, I like this flashlight so much :P that I have unexplainable urge to order another one (maybe 2) :D