Review: Ultrafire UF-H3D Headlamp/Torch

Might work if yours are a fraction of a millimetre shorter than mine - they aren't all that consistent in length - probably because the protection circuits are likely hand-attached.

i sure hope so!

can someone suggest a particular protected 18650 that they know for sure works with the uf-h3?

i'll need to use mine for work purposes in about a month and would like to be prepared

They will work with a small piece of foil or solder on the outer ring inside the end cap. They just work with my trustfire flames. They will work with samsung no button top batteries but you will need to solder the top or use a small magnet (as I did)

Does anybody know where I can get one of these in the US, insteading of waiting for the "slow boat from China"?

Manafont are pretty fast (when compared to dx). Took about 2 weeks to get mine.

Thanx! Looks like them then. DX, is like watching freakin' paint dry. Then the goofs send the stuff sig required.

dx have been packing my last order (which they split months ago) for about 2 weeks now.I told them to cancel my order and refund me as its gone beyond a joke.

I just ordered one from Manafont!

I received mine this week. A very small, almost AA size flashlight/headlamp really. It has a pure flood, due to its pure led optics nature. I mean there is nothing to focus or direct the light other than XR-E emitters own primary optics. The flood is big and smooth. But the light is a bit blueish for my liking. Ok, I may be hitting hard and comparing it to my Zebralight H51 but H3D is still nice as a long runtime, magnetic base flashlight. Still would like to have shortcuts for high and low. The I just can never catch the full brightness and there is a PWM always.

All in all,

If I could spare another $20-$30 for a similar light, I would go for a Zebralight AA, or for the same money try the R5 (CR123 - CR123x2) version with a reflector instead.

I hear Vectrex's shortcut to high tip from the H2 thread also works on the H3

Hi, good info here. Tells me the UF H3 I just bought is exactly what I wanted. I have a ZL H31w. It is a great light, but I wanted more runtime, and for what I use it for, you almost can't have enough flood. I use it as a Headlamp while working on things.

Who did you get it from and how long did it take?

I just ordered from Manafont last night.

Manafont are usually quite fast - mine got held up with the HK Post foulups at the end of the year - recent reports seem to say that HK Post is much faster now.

I've been waffling about getting this light. A few questions for you owners:

- on high, does it illuminate decently well up to around 10-15 m? (I want to use this light in the yard for skunk-finding and poo pick-up. I'm currently using a $6 zooming headlamp from DX, which works acceptably well but the switch is too easy to activate accidentally in my pocket)

- anybody who's read any of my other posts knows that I'm an XM-L nut. Do you think it would be easy to replace the XR-E with an XM-L?

- the 2nd use I'd have for this light is for reading in bed in a tent without disturbing my spouse. I'd therefore like shortcuts to max and min outputs. I've seen that there is a shortcut to max (but what does Vectrex mean by the tailcap lockout comment?), but it doesn't seem like there's a shortcut to min. How awkward would it be to use this light for reading in bed? Would I have to cover the lens with my hand while I ramp the light down to low (as low as I could guess at), and if I overshoot, I'd keep holding down the switch until I can take another guess at low? And how many seconds would that take?

- I don't suppose there's a competitor with an output dial instead of the ramping, is there? When I want to switch to a different output level, I want to do it now, not wait for several seconds with my finger on the button. Is it annoying to you owners to have to wait for the ramping?

- when it's in use as a nightly skunk-finder light, I'd leave the light in a jacket pocket, possibly along with a handheld light. How likely would it be to switch on accidentally, because of being bumped by the handheld light, or me putting my hand in that pocket?

I'm a little bit surprised that Ultrafire used XR-Es in these lights, since XP-Gs and XM-Ls are more efficient. Is it because of beam pattern? Or low cost? If someone made something like this but with an XM-L, a tiny OP reflector to make a slightly narrower beam (say 90 degrees or so), and an output dial instead of the ramping, I'd get two.

No zoom so it's hard to say if it'd suit. I'd reckon it would be fine for poop picking - if the assistant didn't have the runs just now.

It should be pretty straightforward to swap in an XM-L - but an XP-G might be a better bet given the drive current - it is pulling 650mA on high at which point I believe an XP-G will emit more light than an XM-L..

A shortcut to minimum would be nice, but unfortunately it doesn't have one that anyone has discovered yet. I doubt there is one.

I don't know of any headlamp with an output dial. There may be one, and I'd like to know about it if there is. At least if it costs under $50.

Not managed to turn mine on by accident. It is certainly possible, but I've not yet managed to do it.

I'd guess cost.

You want to look at the UF-H4...

Manafont has it and I'm considering one if there's enough cash left by payday.

Kind of unrelated, but what do you guys use to pull the switch out of the tailcap. Most of them look like they use some type of 2-pin spanner? This looks like the only way to change the rubber on some clickers.

Thanks Don. Hey I didn't know about that UF-H4. I probably missed it because I ignore lights that use cr123s. But if it can use a 17670, that would be pretty good. How come I don't find many reviews, and no beamshots? Is it too new? Sorry to be off-topic. I'll ask more questions on CathastrophiX's thread...

It is new AFAIK - certainly the first time I heard of it was this year.

Thanks for reminding it me. I have tried this but odd thing haven't noticed it was the high end it's turning on if I hold longer or if I disconnect the tailcap. But but but, this high is still PWM. Like there is only %95 High.

I took mine night fishing and it was great. I note mine has no memory. Always switches to high mode - but it didn't worry me.

Sounds like you have the earlier version of this light. I also bought a H1 and H2 last year which has no memory and starts in high. Can you tell me where you bought yours from? I’m still trying to piece together which vendors carry which version.