Samsung Note 7 Battery

This should not be a ‘Civil Crime’. It should be ranked as a ‘Felony’ under U.S. Criminal System, especially if it is found out that the information about the battery problem was ignored because of financial concerns.

A civil financial penalty is not enough to prevent such problems from reoccurring. If Samsung executives were to serve prison time for the errors in judgement, if proven to be true, it might prevent such a happening from recurring.

Beside the damage to consumers, stock holders of Samsung are going to be hurt as well.

SSNLF is still up 31.71% over the year, so I’m not sure how much shareholders have been hurt. Unless you bought in early September or August.

The last posted stock price was down –15.63%.

52 week low was 1000. So still up 31+%

This might be the time to sell Samsung stock; the Supreme Court is about to hear the case where Apple sues Samsung.

Well, as I previously hinted at, screw paper thin slab sized smartphones dumbassphones. Screw unrooted devices also. No one but me is meant to be the master sovereign of my systems, as in times of yore when you were under full control of your OSes by default. :CROWN:

Cheers ^:)

+1

I do not have a smart phone, and at times I wonder about the wisdom of even using the laptop that I am writing this on.

We’ll see what happens. They hear the case Tuesday I think, and could be quite some time before we hear what they say about it. This “Note7” is a very small part of Samsung’s overall business when you consider they are a huge semiconductor, computer, TV, appliance, manufacturer. Also the largest LCD display manufacturer in the world, with a $235 billion market cap. With 35 or 40 phones failing out of 1 million sold, also considering the note7 is a niche product compared to the Galaxy 7 and Galaxy 7 edge. You’d never know it reading the Apple fanblogs. You’d think Samsung’s entire line is exploding, burning down homes, and airplanes falling out the sky everywhere.

+1

Well, also, you have to wonder if as time goes by there will be additional failures, or if these early failures are what we used to call “burn in” failures.

Hmmmm. Now, why did we call them that?

Usually things just burned out.

All smartphones should be engineered and built like this good ol' one:

The chair test should show a wider angle so we know the man sit on the chair put the right center of mass :smiley:

Samsung have just notified Korean regulators that the Note 7 is permanently discontinued, all handsets are to be scrapped.

19 million units at a full retail price of $900 equals 17'1 short billions, $17100 million dollars. Another unrealistical, completely moronic assessment of flashy figures for morons.

Of course, they weren't going to sell all of those units. Of course, they weren't going to rip off a promedium of $900 from any and all of those sap's pockets. Of course…

The most disturbing part of this dysfunction is that Samsung being too big to fail or jail, will just write this down as business loss.

Would you rather see 275,000 employees lose their jobs, or Samsung fix the problem?

I do not believe this is a problem with your ‘either-or’ question.

If 275,000 jobs are lost because of incompetence then maybe those employees might hold Samsung responsible and take further action.

The concept of ‘Too Big to Fail’ without penalty is in itself a problem that needs to be addressed.

We have two different points of view of how to address these kind of problems.

You said “to big to fail” that was disturbing to you, hence my statement. They are paying a large $$$ penalty with the recall alone, not to mention a black eye. I don’t think there was any malice with Samsung. 40 devices out of 2.5 million. They could have field tested 10,000 of them and never found a problem. Samsung has sold over 250 million smartphones, and 40 of one model has had problems, albeit serious. I don’t think that warrants incompetence, too big to fail, or jail. Just trying to put things into perspective, which we obviously have a difference of opinion on.

out of — how many days?
Take the rate per zillion per elapsed time, and decide if it was going to be an increasing problem, or just a few bad ones right at the start.

The cancellation of the line might suggest they did figure out that a bigger problem would continue developing if they left them in use. That would’ve been very bad.
Or they got overcautious in reaction to having been overoptimistic, or just took the precautionary approach assuming more would go bad over time.

Again, it sounds like they didn’t do burn-in/accelerated aging testing to eliminate a few bad ones.
If they did that —- which ought to be routine for both electronics and battery packs — they they missed an inherent problem that develps as time goes by.

I’ve seen mention that they didn’t allow any or enough empty space for the packs to “puff up” — as they do with heat and cycles, though that was speculation.

(I was looking at docs for a little Canon camera last week — it says that batteries will puff up in normal use — seems to mean that people should not try to jam them into the slot if they’re too fat, but that this puffery is normal. Wow)