So it begins...bought a Sipik SK68 last night; There goes minimalism

Congrats Misfire, you will like your new lights. They work fine on AAs.

But I do want to point out a difference between the ones you bought and the ones I have been getting on ebay.

If you look at the pictures carefully here wide lense you can see that the lense is wider and the bezel thinner than the the ones you purchased and the original Sipik SK68 narrow lense

It makes a fairly significant difference in throw. The wide lense will throw farther.

I have also found that the wider lense versions use an o-ring between the pill and the sliding sleeve and the narrower lense versions use a metal ring. The o-ring produces a smoother operation.

It is still a bit of a lottery though. :cowboy_hat_face:

I bet to differ, many dont use Li batteries :wink:

As for what Viktori said - I/we dont miss out much, yes, its brighter, but you can get the same brightness with cheap 3xAAA Cree headlamp, so its nothing phenomenal :stuck_out_tongue:

3x brightness in 1 cell you actually carry in your pocket is pretty nice even if not earth-shaking phenomenal. Still enough to surprise MANY people who’ve never seen it because they’ve only ever used AAs for a pocket light. :money_mouth_face:

And IMO it beats a headlight you have to go get somewhere and carry it and then wear the cheap thing and not mind looking goofy (sorry, not a fan).

Theres market for headlamps and no flashlight will ever be able to outperform headlamp for what its designed. And vice versa.

Well, I dont carry things just for WOW effect, Ni-Mh is good enough for me+longer runtime and less heat and safer chemistry=WIN in my book.
YMMV

LOL, I said sorry . . just not my thing.

Well, I assume you’re careful so the safety difference is negligible. NiMHs can win on energy density in the AA format; not normally a big issue for a pocket edc. My desk light that originally used AAs has been my most used light since I did the mod; it has gone weeks on li-ion without needing recharge (still at 3.67v).

Heat isn’t higher at AA draws with comparable lumens. I’d give a li-ion light the advantage if we had been talking newer tech vs. older. But yeah, you can have heat when choosing to produce dazzling light levels . . that’s amp draw, not the chemistry. It’s like complaining that a electric vehicle uses more juice when you go twice as fast. But seriously, neither the car or the light have to go full draw all the time.

I understand you have your preferences; there really isn’t a need to only argue positives for them . . .

I know the difference between Ni-Mh and Li as well as what causes lights to get hotter with one or another chemistry, no need to explain that here.

Either way, Im glad OP bough SK68, I got myself 5 of them and there are 2 three mode ones on the way right now :D!